Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2016 6:03:52 PM EDT
Ok,

Now is the time to buy any motorhome, during the winter.  I am looking to step up from a 1993 26' Class C to a 1999-2002 34-38' Class A.  

What do you have? How has the reliability been? Post pics?

How much would you say the build quality suffers when going from a Diesel to a Gas model?  As a CDL driver I am fully aware of the chassis differences, I am talking about slide outs, structures, etc that are built lighter on gas models.

I am looking at:
1. Newmar
2. Holiday Rambler
3. Winnebago

Anything else? Fleetwood?
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 6:11:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Most Holiday Ramblers and Winnies have one piece fiberglass roofs I believe.  Huge plus!  ETA I look from time to time but in the end always decide I just don't want the expense or headaches.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 6:13:38 PM EDT
[#2]
This is what I want for a camper motorhome.

Link Posted: 12/17/2016 6:14:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a mid 90's Class A Winnie and it has a one piece aluminum roof, been a great unit for me and the wife and I got it for a really good price.

I think the newer Winnie's are a great value in the market right now, especially if you can get the 1 piece bodied model, I looked at one last summer and in reality, it would be very hard to spring a leak on one of those.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 6:24:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Most Holiday Ramblers and Winnies have one piece fiberglass roofs I believe.  Huge plus!  ETA I look from time to time but in the end always decide I just don't want the expense or headaches.
View Quote

I go back and forth also.  They are a lot of fun, but a pain in the ass to own.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 6:27:21 PM EDT
[#5]
[Steven King:Doctor Sleep]Earth Cruiser[/Steven King:Doctor Sleep] .........................
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 6:36:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Tiffin
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 6:43:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Newmar is top quality, and is worth every penny.  But be forewarned you will pay top dollar for even used units.

Another brand for your list would be Fortravel.  They are a great class A also.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 6:47:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I always preferred Class B’s or homemade stuff… I have zero interest in camp grounds.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 7:46:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Newmar is top quality, and is worth every penny.  But be forewarned you will pay top dollar for even used units.

View Quote

Do you own a Newmar?  The Mountain Aire in 1999-2001 gas seems to fall in the 15k-25k range.  Looks like a very nice unit for the money.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 7:59:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

The name is actually Foretravel.  I have a 1998 U320 40'.  Mine was a $400k+ rig when new and they are not priced any more than the other quality coaches.  They are built much better than the ones you listed.  Mine has solid walnut wood finishes inside and is a solid coach, it was well maintained, 125k miles and drives handles great.  It has outboard airbags.  

Do your due diligence before buying any used coach but definitely look at a Foretravel.

ETA stay away from Fleetwood

Link Posted: 12/17/2016 8:05:59 PM EDT
[#11]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSWUWPx2VeQ
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 8:12:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
[Steven King:Doctor Sleep]Earth Cruiser[/Steven King:Doctor Sleep] .........................
View Quote

Yep.

ETA: but get an older chassis...the new FUSO's suck ass.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 8:15:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

One piece roofs are a must especially if you have to leave it outside which I would avoid at all costs.  
I would rather have a slideout with issues than no slideout at all.  
Make sure you can get to the door with the spare bed set up, can't in mine and it's a huge fucking pain in the ass as well as a safety hazard IMO.

Parents have a 96 Fleetwood Pace arrow, 35' no slideouts it's been great for a first RV but it's time for it to go.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:08:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The name is actually Foretravel.  I have a 1998 U320 40'.  Mine was a $400k+ rig when new and they are not priced any more than the other quality coaches.  They are built much better than the ones you listed.  Mine has solid walnut wood finishes inside and is a solid coach, it was well maintained, 125k miles and drives handles great.  It has outboard airbags.  

Do your due diligence before buying any used coach but definitely look at a Foretravel.

ETA stay away from Fleetwood
View Quote

Wow, the Foretravels look nice.  Looks like you would get more for your money in the Diesel pusher class.  I think over all were looking at gas as I would like to stay under 20k
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:26:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Any input on the Monaco units?
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:29:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Any input on the Monaco units?
View Quote

Monaco and Holiday Rambler are the same company.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top