Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2016 4:49:30 PM EDT
Assuming the car is empty as in on its way to pick some one up.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 4:51:03 PM EDT
[#1]
what i want to know is how they program them to respond to flaggers telling you to get in the other lane, or unpaved areas during construction
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 4:52:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 5:01:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For what purpose?
View Quote

fishing trip
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 5:02:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Pit maneuver
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 5:02:37 PM EDT
[#5]
How can the car give consent to be searched?
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 5:03:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I was talking with an engineer (who was riding around in an autonomous car) and he told me it will not respond to emergency vehicles and he has to manually take control.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 5:05:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 5:12:52 PM EDT
[#8]
will the cars pull over or out of the way for emergency vehicles? what about random mini detours around potholes ? cuz that is going to be some interesting programing...
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 5:15:31 PM EDT
[#9]
It's all fun and games until somebodies cute puppy gets run over by a driverless car and the video spreads like wildfire across the internet.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 5:31:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Who is responsible for a crash by a driverless car? The owner? The manufacturer? Both?
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 5:39:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That's actually a good point and will raise a bunch of 4A issues in the future.  The government will probably want some level of statutory authority for driverless vehicles.  Remote kill switches too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

fishing trip

That's actually a good point and will raise a bunch of 4A issues in the future.  The government will probably want some level of statutory authority for driverless vehicles.  Remote kill switches too.
you could load it with drugs and have it make deliveries and take payment back to a specific addy and pay for it all with stolen CC.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 5:40:51 PM EDT
[#12]
"Officer, my self driving car was driving. I didn't commit those traffic infractions."
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 5:43:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah, who would give consent to search?  The passenger?  What if I say NO ?
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 5:47:18 PM EDT
[#14]

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 5:50:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Consent to search is probably covered by an operating agreement along the lines of "by entering this vehicle you consent to search by operating company and law enforcement" on a sign posted on the window.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 5:53:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Sounds like a good way to move a shit ton of drugs.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 6:04:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Assuming the car is empty as in on its way to pick some one up.
View Quote

Moot point as someone must be behind the wheel.

And why would a cop need to pull over an empty car?
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 6:20:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Cause someone put a body in the trunk 
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 6:26:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Better question to ask is, who does the nice police officer write the ticket out to? The owner? The software engineer who wrote the software? The company selling the car?

Shit like this is why I think self-driving cars are highly unlikely to ever "be a thing". There's too much ambiguity created by their use. If you're using an autonomous vehicle, and drunk off your ass, can you be cited for a DUI?

This is one of those things where they'd better get the underlying legal architecture into place before actually going to production and widespread use, or we're gonna spend the next fifty fucking years in courts ironing these things out. Frankly, I think the whole thing is going to founder just on the issue of insurance liability alone.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 6:34:31 PM EDT
[#20]
what's the point of a "driverless vehicle" that still has to have a person in it for that "just in case" scenario?
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 6:48:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

To raise an issue regarding the condition of the vehicle?

Not going fast enough or too fast because the limit changed and the "driver" isn't aware and won't move right for faster traffic?

Malfunctioning sensor made it drive away after a minor wreck that it didn't know happened?
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 6:55:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

They had video on the news yesterday of a driverless Uber car running a red light.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 7:02:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Load up your driverless vehicle with dope, explosives, illegal aliens, stolen property or whatever you need to transport from here to there. The cops would never have a reason to be suspicious of a driverless vehicle.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 7:08:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Load up your driverless vehicle with dope, explosives, illegal aliens, stolen property or whatever you need to transport from here to there. The cops would never have a reason to be suspicious of a driverless vehicle.
View Quote

Put one of these CPR dummies like the one that was just "rescued" from a freezing car in NY in the driver seat and program the car to drive 10 MPH under the limit.

Link Posted: 12/17/2016 7:11:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Who is responsible for a crash by a driverless car? The owner? The manufacturer? Both?
View Quote

I would think the owner should be responsible unless it can be shown that the vehicle's programming did not conform to the industry standards that will inevitably be developed.  In any case, the courts will ultimately hash it out.  Just like they do now.  I honestly don't see the liability issue as that big of an obstacle, seeing as lawsuits in connection with car accidents are already commonplace.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 7:15:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 7:16:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Better question to ask is, who does the nice police officer write the ticket out to? The owner? The software engineer who wrote the software? The company selling the car?

Shit like this is why I think self-driving cars are highly unlikely to ever "be a thing". There's too much ambiguity created by their use. If you're using an autonomous vehicle, and drunk off your ass, can you be cited for a DUI?

This is one of those things where they'd better get the underlying legal architecture into place before actually going to production and widespread use, or we're gonna spend the next fifty fucking years in courts ironing these things out. Frankly, I think the whole thing is going to founder just on the issue of insurance liability alone.
View Quote

I think the insurance companies will be the ones forcing adoption of driverless technology once it reaches a certain point of development.  I don't think they care much about which party in an accident is held responsible if they can reduce the number of accidents and claims overall.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 7:19:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
LEO question. How do you pull over a driverless car?
View Quote

With a police drone! Duh!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top