Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2016 1:43:14 PM EDT
Just as a thought exercise, say I have a sheet of .063 4037.  Bending it by, (clamp and mallet, no brake) to 45 degrees.

Think it will have less chance of cracking if it's heated?

Anyone who says bend against the grain will be ignored.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 1:46:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Heat it tell red hot.. should bend easy peesy
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 1:48:10 PM EDT
[#2]
What kind of heat treatment?
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 1:48:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 1:49:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Depending on the composition of the aluminum heat it to about 1200°f (660°C) and it should be real easy to bend.
I'd recommend gloves and a crucible just to be safe...
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 1:52:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Your minimum bend radius is somewhere near 0.25.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 1:54:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What kind of heat treatment?
View Quote

After bending?  none
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 1:58:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Heat it tell red hot.. should bend easy peesy
View Quote

That will make it interesting

No reason to heat thin aluminum sheeting for a simple bend. Make sure you look at the grain and make sure the bend is not in the same direction as the grain.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 1:59:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 2:00:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You have 2024 aluminum alloy made to AMS 4037.

A billion pounds of that material have been bent without heat.  Since you might not know the heat treat condition, bend it with a minimum 0.125 bend radius.  Don't scribe the bend set back lines.

If you get it hot, it's going to age harden toward a -T3 and then -T81 state, so the bend radius required will be greater than in the annealed condition.  Heating is nothing but down side.

You are wrong about bending this material against the grain, if you know what you're doing.  About a billion pounds have been bent that way, too.
View Quote

I know what I have including the T. Says right here on the sheet. and I know it can be bent against the grain.

While I haven't bent billions of pounds of it, it'd easily say thousand of bends.

See, this is a thought exercise, not a "should I do it?"
While i'm not an engineer, by school or trade, we work in the same industry.

Edited to fix auto-incorrect
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 2:02:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You have 2024 aluminum alloy made to AMS 4037.

A billion pounds of that material have been bent without heat.  Since you might not know the heat treat condition, bend it with a minimum 0.125 bend radius.  Don't scribe the bend set back lines.

If you get it hot, it's going to age harden toward a -T3 and then -T81 state, so the bend radius required will be greater than in the annealed condition.  Heating is nothing but down side.

You are wrong about bending this material against the grain, if you know what you're doing.  About a billion pounds have been bent that way, too.
View Quote

This, but I'd use more than a 2T bend radius if doing it the way the OP talks about.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 2:05:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Uh yea I would say NO
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 2:06:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Just get a sheet of O metal, and then do anything you want to it, then you heat treat it. Or you could pick up a book and do things the right way instead of making up your own shade tree mechanic rules.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 2:12:31 PM EDT
[#13]
In this thread it is easy to tell who knows what they are talking about and who doesn't
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 2:16:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
In this thread it is easy to tell who knows what they are talking about and who doesn't
View Quote

I have no idea what any of you said, I am here for the post count.  Interesting information though.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 2:20:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 2:23:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 3:59:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

What you should do is cut some strips and make a few bends to find out how it goes.  Bending in a vise ranges from "that's too tight and it broke" to "should have controlled the bend better, that's too large and it ain't gonna fit".

The post photos of the experiment.  Make one bend with layout lines scribed in the material.
View Quote

Scribe the bend lines you say????

Ok, just for giggles I'll get a peice of it in strips and we'll try bends every 15 degrees, with and without heat. 105 will probably be my max, due to clamp setup.  This will give me something to do tomorrow after work I guess.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 4:03:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Just as a thought exercise, say I have a sheet of .063 4037.  Bending it by, (clamp and mallet, no brake) to 45 degrees.

Think it will have less chance of cracking if it's heated?

Anyone who says bend against the grain will be ignored.
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top