Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2016 12:40:32 AM EDT
Toying with the idea of building a new RF amplifier.

Wondering about what others here may be using and how well they liked the current build that they are using.

Poll to follow.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 8:08:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I built a 3-1000 amp a long, long time ago. Had a lot of fun accumulating the components (tube, socket, chimney, vacuum variable capacitors and whatever-they-call-them-hand-cranks, humungo power supply transformer, edge-wound inductor, gigundo ceramic bandswitch, awesome voltage, current meters, etc.).

Plusses: Big, big signal. Kept the room warm in the wintertime. Enjoyed the cherry red glow from the plate.

Biggest downsides: not very portable. hoping that it would not explode something or electrocute me if I got sloppy when working on it.

Link Posted: 12/17/2016 8:26:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Solid state w/ 50v devices or surplus Russian metal tubes seems to be the way to go these days.

What sort of application are you building this for? Frequency ranges covered?
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 6:44:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I built a 3-1000 amp a long, long time ago. Had a lot of fun accumulating the components (tube, socket, chimney, vacuum variable capacitors and whatever-they-call-them-hand-cranks, humungo power supply transformer, edge-wound inductor, gigundo ceramic bandswitch, awesome voltage, current meters, etc.).

Plusses: Big, big signal. Kept the room warm in the wintertime. Enjoyed the cherry red glow from the plate.

Biggest downsides: not very portable. hoping that it would not explode something or electrocute me if I got sloppy when working on it.
View Quote

The 3-1000 is a nice tube to go with.

I love the cherry glow of a large tube when I run CW.

Keep your hands clear of HV when using a HV PS!
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 6:49:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Solid state w/ 50v devices or surplus Russian metal tubes seems to be the way to go these days.

View Quote

HF.
3.5 to 30 MHZ would be the actual end user design.

Link Posted: 12/17/2016 6:51:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I think the 3-500G would be the way to go, if you're OK with 1 kW output power.  The power supply is the thing, don't skimp on the capacity of it.  3 kVolts at an amp, and you'll be good to go.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 7:15:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I think the 3-500G would be the way to go, if you're OK with 1 kW output power.  The power supply is the thing, don't skimp on the capacity of it.  3 kVolts at an amp, and you'll be good to go.
View Quote

The plate transformer can easily handle 1 Amp CCS all day long. Big boat anchor design. 5 KV with a center tap.

The 3-500 is a very popular tube and many use it. For some odd reason, I was thinking that it ran well on 3 KV.

Many commercial designs seem to run a pair of them in their output stage.

Link Posted: 12/18/2016 12:47:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The plate transformer can easily handle 1 Amp CCS all day long. Big boat anchor design. 5 KV with a center tap.

The 3-500 is a very popular tube and many use it. For some odd reason, I was thinking that it ran well on 3 KV.

Many commercial designs seem to run a pair of them in their output stage.
View Quote
With that transformer, you could go to two 3-500's and go legal limit.  The tubes would be running well below their max. dissipation.  Why  not?  Plus, home brewed would be super cool.  I'd get fancy with the chassis, there's lots of classic knobs and and stuff in the guitar amp home-brew market.  Hell make it look like a classic Fender Princeton.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:30:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

HF.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

HF.

@Xringlover
Dunno if you knew this, but ARF has a really great ham radio community here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top