Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2016 8:23:20 PM EDT
The familiarity is still there, but even after only a day or so of the new site being up, the old one just looked and felt old.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I see it like Windows XP. It was good in its time, and I liked it, but I don't want to go back. Progress is good.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 8:38:28 PM EDT
[#1]
OPNI, this feels more modern and up to date
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 8:44:55 PM EDT
[#2]
the new site still runs slow and has load (cpu usage) problems at times

there are still sizing issues with displayed items on pages, some of which could have less of an impact, if gb would have allowed horizontal scrolling, which I asked him to enable, since it is a simple overflow-x: auto change in the code, and he didn't want to do it, as everything would fit the display window

there should still be a version for desktops, that just disables all the responsive stuff, so one can expand the screen and horizontal scroll and stuff

what is out now, looks very different from what was released out of beta
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 8:50:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I still wish the old mobile site was around....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:00:14 PM EDT
[#4]
So New Arfcom is cool finally? 
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:02:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm finally adjusted to new arfcom!
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:12:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I just wish a couple things would be fixed

1. viewing embedded videos. Even on a windows laptop I can't see them more than 75% of the time
2. In the quotes, if there's an emoji, make the emoji pop up, and not the big string of a link for it. Really annoying to look at.

Other than that, I enjoy the new site.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:49:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I still like the old quote trees better.  There's been some improvement in the new version, bu it's not quite there yet.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:52:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I still wish the old mobile site was around....

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/123535/IMG-4091-108974.JPG
View Quote

I actually prefer the new layout for mobile browsing. Might be because I only had a smartphone for a couple months before the switchover, but the old site was a PITA for mobile browsing for me.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:54:51 PM EDT
[#9]
I still can't figure out how to view my topics.  I try scrolling to general without luck.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:54:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

1. viewing embedded videos. Even on a windows laptop I can't see them more than 75% of the time
2. In the quotes, if there's an emoji, make the emoji pop up, and not the big string of a link for it. Really annoying to look at.

View Quote

This. Especially number 2.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:59:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The familiarity is still there, but even after only a day or so of the new site being up, the old one just looked and felt old.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/257918/Old-Arfcom-1-108967.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/257918/Old-Arfcom-2-108968.JPG

I see it like Windows XP. It was good in its time, and I liked it, but I don't want to go back. Progress is good.
View Quote

People usually start throwing the word 'progress' around when something worse is replacing something that was much superior.

It's kind of like 'more with less' or 'make due.'

Old Arfcom FTW. 
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 10:02:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Member when ARFCOM had the COCK ARF logo on the home page. Member?

I memeber...
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 10:05:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

The beta testers SUUUUUCKED.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1939168_If-you-beta-tested-this-new-site.html
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 10:23:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

People usually start throwing the word 'progress' around when something worse is replacing something that was much superior.

It's kind of like 'more with less' or 'make due.'

Old Arfcom FTW. 
View Quote

Some people are deeply change resistant and/or have a tendency to remember things in a rosy sort of way.

For example, consider all those guys that complain about modern vehicles and their electronics. They always have some comment about needing a computer to work on them and how everything was so much easier back in the day. These same people forget that old vehicles required constant care and attention and most were considered dead or dying before 100k miles. My family's '85 F-150 had a 5 digit odometer FFS. Newer cars not only routinely live beyond 200k miles, but most don't even require a normal tune up until ~100k miles. And this isn't even taking performance and efficiency into consideration.

In terms of technology, there are very few things where I have any preference towards older ways.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 10:28:57 PM EDT
[#15]
I still prefer the old version, but the new one is starting to look better.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 10:31:31 PM EDT
[#16]
meh I hate change
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 10:51:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
meh I hate change
View Quote

Stiles and I agree on something.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 10:54:13 PM EDT
[#18]
The old site ran better in some ways but that was to be expected, Goatboy had years to tweak it. This one will get there too. Also you shouldn't compare it to Win XP. Half of Arfcom is still running it or wishing they could.

And....

Link Posted: 12/16/2016 10:54:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Some people are deeply change resistant and/or have a tendency to remember things in a rosy sort of way.

For example, consider all those guys that complain about modern vehicles and their electronics. They always have some comment about needing a computer to work on them and how everything was so much easier back in the day. These same people forget that old vehicles required constant care and attention and most were considered dead or dying before 100k miles. My family's '85 F-150 had a 5 digit odometer FFS. Newer cars not only routinely live beyond 200k miles, but most don't even require a normal tune up until ~100k miles. And this isn't even taking performance and efficiency into consideration.

In terms of technology, there are very few things where I have any preference towards older ways.
View Quote

I'm deeply resistant to change when it's change going backwards.

For example, when Apple switched to their lightning connector from the 32 pin version, I was all for it.  That was positive change for the better.  When Facebook changed their format from old to new, the new format sucked.  Still does.  And that's a big part of the reason why I don't use Facebook anymore.

Drudge is the most successful web page of all time and he's still using the same formatting as he did in 1998 or whenever he started it.  It just flat works, and I love things that work. 

I don't think 'new' Arfcom is horrible, but I think it should/could have been beta tested much better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top