Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2016 2:25:50 PM EDT
My Mom came over for Dinner the other day and brought her 14 year old Dog with her . She does that so she could sleep overnight and not have to worry about him.
Champ( the dog) had some kind of seizure while outside, and the poor guy dropped to the ground, unable to get up.
I carried him into the house, he was trembling and unable to move his legs.
My brother is a veterinarian, so we called and said she was coming in first thing in the morning. As advised, we gave the dog 2 baby aspirin to comfort him.
My 8 year old Daughter spent a lot of time petting Champ, trying to make him feel better.
As these things go, my Brother told Mom it was time for Champ to make his final journey and he put him to sleep while my Mom sat with him .
I picked my Daughter up after school, unsure if I was going to tell her right away, but she plunged right into " How did Grandma get Champ into the car ?".
I replied that I had carried him there and I was content to leave it at that.
She then asked how Grandma got him out of the car when she got home ?
Time for the truth, Honey it's sad, but Champ died today while Uncle Steve and Grandma were helping him.
She began to cry, and I thought I'd make her feel better, so I told her that on the bright side, I had given Champ some delicious ham and eggs for breakfast that day , and what a treat that was.
She then said "That's probably what killed him".
Can't make this stuff up.
DanG
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 2:29:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My Mom came over for Dinner the other day and brought her 14 year old Dog with her . She does that so she could sleep overnight and not have to worry about him.
Champ( the dog) had some kind of seizure while outside, and the poor guy dropped to the ground, unable to get up.
I carried him into the house, he was trembling and unable to move his legs.
My brother is a veterinarian, so we called and said she was coming in first thing in the morning. As advised, we gave the dog 2 baby aspirin to comfort him.
My 8 year old Daughter spent a lot of time petting Champ, trying to make him feel better.
As these things go, my Brother told Mom it was time for Champ to make his final journey and he put him to sleep while my Mom sat with him .
I picked my Daughter up after school, unsure if I was going to tell her right away, but she plunged right into " How did Grandma get Champ into the car ?".
I replied that I had carried him there and I was content to leave it at that.
She then asked how Grandma got him out of the car when she got home ?
Time for the truth, Honey it's sad, but Champ died today while Uncle Steve and Grandma were helping him.
She began to cry, and I thought I'd make her feel better, so I told her that on the bright side, I had given Champ some delicious ham and eggs for breakfast that day , and what a treat that was.
DanG
View Quote

damn, not a fun convo OP
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 2:30:03 PM EDT
[#2]
nice work dad
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 2:40:15 PM EDT
[#3]
View Quote

That made me chuckle.  I'm going to hell. 
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 2:43:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm sorry... but I laughed at that. Daughter is probably thinking... Dad killed the dog...
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 2:47:37 PM EDT
[#5]
wasn't expecting it to go like that

we as a family sat down with the great grandkids and had a discussion about our grandma not doing well with cancer
my niece (5 years old) gets super quiet and then uncontrollably upset  and everybody is feeling pretty bad about upsetting her as she runs out of the room
her mom and my wife go to console her and find out
nope the lens popped out of her glasses in her hand and she thought she was going to get in trouble for breaking them

kids...
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 2:52:35 PM EDT
[#6]
My 7 yo next question would have been...

Did you shoot Champ!??

I have to admit that I chuckled a bit at that too.

I remember arriving home from school when my oldest was in K5 and seeing "Lucy" balled up on the side of the road. Tough times for little minds
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 2:55:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Truly sorry for your and your mom's loss.  Losing a cherished pet is always hard....

You dog murderer. 
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 2:59:58 PM EDT
[#8]
When I read the thread title the first thing I thought of was this...

Scary Movie 3 - Brenda is Dead
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 3:06:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Dad poisoned Champ with Ham.

Sorry OP, just teasing you.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 3:45:30 PM EDT
[#10]
My five-year-old son's best buddy (a 15+ year old Lhasa) was on her last legs. We took her to the vet, who strongly advised we put her down right then as she was in for some severe pain and no chance of recovery. My son bravely agreed to it, and refused to leave the room while the vet took care of his buddy - he insisted on being with her despite the vet's protestations, and I supported him staying when I saw his resolve.

Several seconds after it was over, with my son still holding her, the dog unexpectedly drew in one last deep breathe and slowly expelled it. I was a bit startled, and worried that it would upset my son. The vet tried to explain that it was a reflex that was a common occurrence, but my son stated that it was ok, it was "her soul leaving her body." Wow - out of the mouth of children ...

I feel for you, OP. I was fortunate in that my son responded the way he did, but he might have gone the other way as your daughter did. Fortunately him staying was better for him and his acceptance, but certainly not something I'd want kids in general to have to do.

Link Posted: 12/16/2016 4:05:23 PM EDT
[#11]
That's a pretty tough situation.  I wouldn't think too much about it, as she is trying to process it in her own way.  It's a good opportunity to discuss death, and how things don't always work out the way we hope, but we must accept bad things at times.

Also, do you happen to work in law enforcement?
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 4:17:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I told her that on the bright side, I had given Champ some delicious ham and eggs for breakfast that day , and what a treat that was.
View Quote

You know the only way to handle that is to serve her ham and eggs tomorrow.  

In all seriousness sorry for the loss.  Kids say the damnedest things.

A young cat of ours got hit in the street and my boys enjoyed playing with him.  I tell them Stripes got hit by a car and died and my 6 year old goes "waa waa waaaaaaaa" like the sorry you lost trombone sound.  Of course he cried when we buried Stripes but you just can never tell how little people will handle stuff.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 4:59:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A young cat of ours got hit in the street and my boys enjoyed playing with him.  I tell them Stripes got hit by a car and died and my 6 year old goes "waa waa waaaaaaaa" like the sorry you lost trombone sound.
View Quote

My son learned about death pretty early when one of our hens died.  Instead of burying it for him, I picked it up and put it into a 5gal bucket and we took it down and tossed it into the creek. He thought the bucket of chicken thing was a cool send off.   One of those cartoon movies had a giraffe that was always going into a "dying hole".  That's what calls it when I have to bury something.  With the dogs he knows that they are up in heaven playing with each other waiting on their other friends.  They get it figured out.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 5:24:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When I read the thread title the first thing I thought of was this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHMcoG_FmTw
View Quote

For some reason I couldn't see the video you posted.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/FHMcoG_FmTw[/youtube]
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 5:27:24 PM EDT
[#15]

My sisters dog got hit by a car and my brother found it, he
put the dog on the side of the house with a sign "Dog Gone"

Link Posted: 12/16/2016 5:30:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Damn OP that was a mean thing to do to the dog .

what the hell !! Pics of Grandma ?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top