Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2016 12:26:13 PM EDT
Looking for something with 2 to 4 cameras, wireless, night vision,  record/DVR/ and smart phone view capabilities .  I've seen a few on Amazon in the $250 range but reviews seem hit and miss. What's a good general purpose system that will set up easy work for years and not break the bank ? -Thanks
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 12:27:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Make sure you know what you're buying. Many times wireless just means no network or AV cable, but you still need to plug it into a power source. Arlo is an example of completely wireless system.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 3:22:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Make sure you know what you're buying. Many times wireless just means no network or AV cable, but you still need to plug it into a power source. Arlo is an example of completely wireless system.
View Quote

Do not get the Arlo from Netgear. The motion sensor will detect motion and trigger the camera to start recording. The delay from motion detected to the time the camera starts recording is so slow that most of the time whatever triggered the camera is already out of the field of view. Also, these cameras are awful in cold weather. The batteries drain so fast when it's cold. I would honestly recommend a wired system. Arlo is a junk.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 3:26:00 PM EDT
[#3]
None.  Nothing close to that price range is going to be "decent", much less "good" to "great".

Better just save more and do it right.  Buy once, cry once also applies to stuff like this.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 3:32:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Your requirements and price point just aren't realistic. I think I paid $180 for the Arlo system with 1 camera. Adding another camera would have put it over $300.

I'm not a fan of the Arlo for any sort of security related use.  I bought it to monitor newborn kittens lol
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 3:33:45 PM EDT
[#5]
You have 2 conflicting terms: "Good" and "Under $300"

I have IP/POE cameras in my system that cost twice that much per camera.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top