Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2016 6:38:42 AM EDT
Model number 81172210. When it's done drying the power turns off but the drum keeps spinning. No heat but keeps spinning with the power off. Open the door and it stops. Close the door and it keeps going. Turning it on and off does not stop it from spinning. Even unplugging it waiting awhile then plugging it back in does not stop or reset it. WTF is up with this dryer? It's not the wrinkle guard setting because that had lights on. This just spins and spins no matter what
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 6:49:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a sensor took a shit on you and is acting up. Look up the exploded diagram for your dryer and see what you can find.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 6:57:21 AM EDT
[#2]
It's like it's name is dory or something. Just keep spinning just keep spinning
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 7:12:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Are you sure you really want to try to fix it yourself?
If so, here's what I'd do if it was me:
Find where the wires to the motor comes from. They should go to a relay somewhere, probably behind the control switch panel or else inside the chassis. My guess is you have a relay stuck in the closed position. You might be able to break it free by tapping on it a little but that probably won't be a permanent fix as in my experience, once a relay/contactor sticks once, it always tends to reoccur some time in the near future.

disclaimer; I'm not an appliance repairman but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express one time.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 7:13:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 7:56:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Ugg, Korean dryer, made by LG. Bad power control board or touchpad is bad. I would hazarda guess that the start relay on the board is bad and stuck in the power on position.

A dryer with a bad thermistor will continue to run on but once shut off, will stay off unless manually restarted. You can OHM it out to test it, it is a cheap part.

Repair clinic will have the part/s.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 8:13:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Centrifugal switch in the motor has a stuck contact. The control starts the motor, but once started the centrifugal switch keeps the circuit closed and the motor spinning until the circuit is opened by the door switch. In your case the contact in the centrifugal switch is stuck closed and the motor keeps on spinning.

This is a relatively easy repair for anyone familiar with a CSR motor.

Here is a web site that has a typical diagram Kenmore Drier Wiring Diagram The switch is between contacts 2 and 7 shown in the motor.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 8:55:19 AM EDT
[#7]
How good is thier customer service? Will they come fix their own stuff? It's about 2 years old
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 8:57:54 AM EDT
[#8]
My POS Kenmore lasted 3 years.  3 idler pulleys and a dead motherboard.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 8:59:51 AM EDT
[#9]
I bought a bunch of Ken more stuff. After a year or so the freezer started having issues. Called sears for service. It was 75$ for them to show up, pull a panel and jiggle a connection.

Since then I have fixed the same fridge a couple of times, dryer , washer and oven. The stuff is 10 years old and chugging along fine.

If you have mechanicle skills watch some YouTube videos and start troubleshooting. Save your money.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:12:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Newer kenmore? Root cause will be listed on the tag - it'll say something like Made in Korea.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:13:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Old Kenmore appliances used to usually be manufactured by Whirlpool in the US. The prefix on the model number designates who actually makes Kenmore appliances, 110 is Whirlpool. They got a good reputation because Whirlpool usually makes decent stuff in the US, some of the higher end stuff is made in Korea, not as good or long lasting.

In the past 10 years, Sears has pretty much gone to the lowest bidder for their appliances and quality lacks, even in their higher end stuff. Korean made appliances tend to have much higher part costs and often a delay in getting some parts.

There is absolutely no need for 99% of people to buy a high end dryer, in the end, they heat to around 200-220 F and tumble at 40 PRM, a basic Whirlpool dryer will last for decades and you can buy a rebuild kit for peanuts that comes with the belt, drum rollers, clips, and tension pulley assy.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:24:59 AM EDT
[#12]
free and want to charge me $80 for someone to look at it and say it's broke.
I currently have it working correctly right now. Just had to keep turining it off and on a bunch of times and it stopped spinning. This is about the 4th time it has done this over a few months. Why would it be so sporadic?
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:27:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
free and want to charge me $80 for someone to look at it and say it's broke.
I currently have it working correctly right now. Just had to keep turining it off and on a bunch of times and it stopped spinning. This is about the 4th time it has done this over a few months. Why would it be so sporadic?
View Quote

Either a relay or switch sticking.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 10:07:03 AM EDT
[#14]
You got you a perpetual motion machine.  Get the patent quick.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 11:37:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top