Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/14/2016 5:07:40 PM EDT
Does this look like a new frame or does it look like it was just spray painted over rust?

Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:08:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Invisible taco? I'd pay 19k for that.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:09:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:09:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you going to axe him why those metal parts are brown?
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:10:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Rusty frame
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:11:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

They are asking 14,950

Its a v6  4x4 and it has 84,000 miles
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:13:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

They are asking 14,950

View Quote

That's a decent price, as long as the frame isn't shitty. Nice looking truck.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:20:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Are you going to axe him why those metal parts are brown?
View Quote

I was going to ask him if he's okay if I drive this  to a friend of mine that owns a small auto repair shop and he puts it on a lift to have it checked out.

Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:23:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Rust on frame....he undercoated it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:25:03 PM EDT
[#9]
What state?  Salted roads common there?
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:25:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I was going to ask him if he's okay if I drive this  to a friend of mine that owns a small auto repair shop and he puts it on a lift to have it checked out.

View Quote

If they don't agree I'd walk.

Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:25:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup, Can plainly see in the second picture. I would run away as there is no easy way to know what all he is hiding.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:26:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Always a smart move.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:28:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yup, Can plainly see in the second picture. I would run away as there is no easy way to know what all he is hiding.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Disney's Frozen "Let It Go" Sequence Performed by Idina Menzel
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:28:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What state?  Salted roads common there?
View Quote

The trucks in MA but the shop I'm going to ask to take it to is in CT
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:29:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

They are asking 14,950

View Quote

What year? That frame has been painted over. They do offer a replacement frame if it meets toyotas rust standards

ETA: it's probably already been inspected. Those leaf springs are the TSB leaf pack
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:31:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The trucks in MA but the shop I'm going to ask to take it to is in CT
View Quote

So it is safe to say that the roads have been salted.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:33:12 PM EDT
[#17]
We've done about 20 frames and i'm going to guess that is not a new frame.

if that was your question

eta it does look like they had the leaf springs recall done though

eta#2 and the frame recall has expired. wasn't a "recall" more like a limited service campaign
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:34:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

What year? That frame has been painted over. They do offer a replacement frame if it meets toyotas rust standards

ETA: it's probably already been inspected. Those leaf springs are the TSB leaf pack
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:34:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ya, they were replacing entire truck because of rust problems, but eventually started replacing the frame only.

That frame is similar in looks to a replacement frame, but some of those spots are concerning.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:35:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

They are asking 14,950

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are asking 14,950

Lol. Fuck that noise.
"Tacomas are really reliable and never break down. Just ignore the frame rust"

Get a Titan. You can get one a few years old with half as much milage for around the same price.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:35:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
We've done about 20 frames and i'm going to guess that is not a new frame.

if that was your question
View Quote

He knows it's the original frame. The question is whether the frame is solid or ready to take a dump.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:36:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Get the VIN and check with Toyota if it's been looked at and treated. Definitely not a new frame, but trucks that weren't rusted trough got the treatment. 

Pretty sure frame replacement stops at 09 model years also. 

Also, I believe that if you ignored Toyota's letters and never took the truck in, you're shit out of luck at this point. 
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:36:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Looks like spray-on bedliner from my side.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:37:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Ya, they were replacing entire truck because of rust problems, but eventually started replacing the frame only.

That frame is similar in looks to a replacement frame, but some of those spots are concerning.
View Quote

That's a original frame with the TSB spring pack. OP take it to a local shop and get it in the air. It's the only way to be 100%

I have buddies who have trucks that same year and worse rust and they didn't qualify for a replacement.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:38:37 PM EDT
[#25]
That looks sprayed. Mine was just reframed. It's a smooth, shiny, black. Prior to this, when I first bought it, I brought it in for the recall and the frame was orange. Not compromised yet, but orange. They coated it to slow down the corrosion and afterward it looked like your pics. The coating almost immediately started flaking off and the frame was eventually compromised.

If it was part of a recall, there should be paperwork. But don't you dare buy it without papers. It is transferable, but not if it's been waved, and only after you've owned it for two years, I think.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:39:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Rust bucket.....$19k
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:39:09 PM EDT
[#27]
I wouldn't offer him a penny under 19k.

Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:41:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Looks like spray-on bedliner from my side.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:44:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Yeah, but I'm sayin', that TruCoat, you don't get it and you get oxidization problems. It'll cost you a heck of lot more'n five hundred.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:49:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

He knows it's the original frame. The question is whether the frame is solid or ready to take a dump.
View Quote

Actually I wasn't 100% sure .

If the recall on the leaf springs were done then Toyota would have replaced the frame at that time if it was rusted out ?

My worry is now that the recall on the frame is over and if that frame is going rust out that truck is worthless .

I don't know how this dealer is going to be when I ask him to drive it around 50 miles away to my friends  shop over the border.

If he objects I'll walk from it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:57:27 PM EDT
[#31]
What years did the frame issue exist? I didn't think the 2006 models were affected?
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 6:00:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
What years did the frame issue exist? I didn't think the 2006 models were affected?
View Quote

Late 1st gen tacomas all the way until 2010 IIRC
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 6:01:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Man I wish I could fit In a Tacoma. Or any small pickup.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 6:01:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Damn, that's crazy.

One thing though OP, If the frame was sprayed with bed liner, Is there any over spray on the bottom side of the body?
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 6:01:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

They were. Sometime mid 09 the frame supplier changed to the new style with the proper coating. 

The last couple years of first gen, and 05-09 second gens got new frames under the recall. 

Edit: looks like some 2010's were in the recall as well. 
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 6:03:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Actually I wasn't 100% sure .

If the recall on the leaf springs were done then Toyota would have replaced the frame at that time if it was rusted out ?

My worry is now that the recall on the frame is over and if that frame is going rust out that truck is worthless .

I don't know how this dealer is going to be when I ask him to drive it around 50 miles away to my friends  shop over the border.

If he objects I'll walk from it.
View Quote

The leaf springs are essentially a no-questions asked replacement. The frame replacement depends on what state you live in and severity of rust.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 6:04:47 PM EDT
[#37]
$3 can of black paint from Walmart.    

Link Posted: 12/14/2016 6:27:49 PM EDT
[#38]
So was it a issue with something in the lines of welding or improper wax/paint on the frame?
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 6:31:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
So was it a issue with something in the lines of welding or improper wax/paint on the frame?
View Quote

Dana didn't use the correct steel, causing them to be more rust prone
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 6:46:41 PM EDT
[#40]
That frame looks like it was coated the same as our 03 Tundras. Seems to be holding up OK so far for 14 years old in Wisconsin.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 6:52:28 PM EDT
[#41]
My uncle had his 06 checked a couple of years back and toyota sprayed some type of tar undercoat on the bottom. Looks about the same.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 6:59:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Looks like shit to me. I wouldn't want it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 7:04:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Former 2004 owner here.  You can't escape the rust on those trucks, I realize the one OP is looking at is the newer gen.   Mine was babied, 170k, had to get rid of it because of the constant issues with rust, not just on the frame, but on a lot of the components.  Quite frankly, mechanical issues are much easier to deal with.  Leaf springs broke, air conditioning system completely replaced, spare tire carrier, body rust,  other assorted not so cheap repairs, and the final straw ,the rear differential rusted through, $2000 for the part.  It had the Toyota recall undercoat, for all the good that does.  Note that two of those problems could have had catastrophic results (leaf springs, rear diff)  Come to think of it, if the spare busted loose at speed, it could have been unpleasant.    The frame was in the process of rusting when I traded it in, I feel like I got out of it just in time.     

YMMV, but my ownership experience was sub par to say the least.  Engine and trans were reliable, albeit gutless and inefficient.  All in all, it was ok for the 12 years I had it, but as far as the mythical "ARF" super truck?  No way, not even close.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 7:26:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Former 2004 owner here.  You can't escape the rust on those trucks, I realize the one OP is looking at is the newer gen.   Mine was babied, 170k, had to get rid of it because of the constant issues with rust, not just on the frame, but on a lot of the components.  Quite frankly, mechanical issues are much easier to deal with.  Leaf springs broke, air conditioning system completely replaced, spare tire carrier, body rust,  other assorted not so cheap repairs, and the final straw ,the rear differential rusted through, $2000 for the part.  It had the Toyota recall undercoat, for all the good that does.  Note that two of those problems could have had catastrophic results (leaf springs, rear diff)  Come to think of it, if the spare busted loose at speed, it could have been unpleasant.    The frame was in the process of rusting when I traded it in, I feel like I got out of it just in time.     

YMMV, but my ownership experience was sub par to say the least.  Engine and trans were reliable, albeit gutless and inefficient.  All in all, it was ok for the 12 years I had it, but as far as the mythical "ARF" super truck?  No way, not even close.
View Quote

12 years sounds like a pretty good service life for any vehicle that marinates in road salt for 1/2 the year.

One of the good things about living in California. Not a stitch of frame rot on any vehicle I own. Even the one that turns 50 next year.

OP: Get the truck up on a lift and whack the frame with a ballpeen hammer in any suspicious looking spots, you will find out really quick if there is rot. Most of the 05+ Tacomas seem to rot right where the cats are (on the 4.0 they are on the exhaust manifolds right next to the framerails in the front suspension mount area). Also check out where the spring hangers are.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 7:33:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

12 years sounds like a pretty good service life for any vehicle that marinates in road salt for 1/2 the year.

One of the good things about living in California. Not a stitch of frame rot on any vehicle I own. Even the one that turns 50 next year.

OP: Get the truck up on a lift and whack the frame with a ballpeen hammer in any suspicious looking spots, you will find out really quick if there is rot. Most of the 05+ Tacomas seem to rot right where the cats are (on the 4.0 they are on the exhaust manifolds right next to the framerails in the front suspension mount area). Also check out where the spring hangers are.
View Quote

Don't forget the engine mounts
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 7:48:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
Pretty much every vehicle I see that gets driven year round in the northeast looks like a rolling tetanus shot waiting to happen.   

My 06 F350 work truck is getting very bad. Fucker almost killed me last year when the brake lines rusted out and exploded while towing a trailer. 

I hate road salt with a passion, and they just treated the roads today in anticipation for this weeks weather. 
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 8:09:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

I didn't know that. My 95.5 and my dad's 04 tacoma is pretty much rust free. Granted it's been in California it's whole life and now my 95.5 is with me in NM. 
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 8:12:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I didn't know that. My 95.5 and my dad's 04 tacoma is pretty much rust free. Granted it's been in California it's whole life and now my 95.5 is with me in NM. 
View Quote

They bought back a ton of early Tacomas. Didn't bother with a frame replacement on those. 
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 8:13:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

They are asking 14,950

View Quote

Offer $19k
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 8:38:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Yota is in for another 3 Billion dollars fro rust/frame issues.

The new deicing chemicals used on many northern roads now makes salt look like denatured water, horrid stuff.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top