Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/12/2016 11:11:17 PM EDT
Am I the only one who would rather be able to purchase a new car with more standard tires? Are there any cars available without sporty low profile tires that ride like crap? I don't really need a car that handles like a BMW. I would gladly sacrifice some sport car handling for a nice comfortable ride. Tires with a taller sidewall have more give and give a smoother ride. Hopefully big wheels and O- ring tires will be a fad that will end soon. Maybe if the roads were in better shape, the 50, 40, 30 series tires might not be so annoying.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 12:25:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Am I the only one who would rather be able to purchase a new car with more standard tires? Are there any cars available without sporty low profile tires that ride like crap? I don't really need a car that handles like a BMW. I would gladly sacrifice some sport car handling for a nice comfortable ride. Tires with a taller sidewall have more give and give a smoother ride. Hopefully big wheels and O- ring tires will be a fad that will end soon. Maybe if the roads were in better shape, the 50, 40, 30 series tires might not be so annoying.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/13/2016 12:29:47 AM EDT
[#2]
So this isn't your car?

I like my low profile tires. They look great and I think my car handles and rides great. Maybe you should be looking at minivans instead.

Link Posted: 12/13/2016 12:31:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah pretty much.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 12:35:34 AM EDT
[#4]
1.5/10
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 12:39:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Given our road quality, it is pretty silly how everybody wants to feel it...

I had a '78 Malibu (first car), and that thing floated.  It would float right off the road in a turn if you were not careful.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 12:43:31 AM EDT
[#6]
50 series are too "stiff" for you??? WTF do you drive, some leaf spring shit from last century?

I feel like im fucking gliding in clouds in this IS350 im borrowing, has 40 series.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 12:58:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
50 series are too "stiff" for you??? WTF do you drive, some leaf spring shit from last century?

I feel like im fucking gliding in clouds in this IS350 im borrowing, has 40 series.
View Quote

Colorado, in a cloud.....I get what you are saying.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 1:01:47 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't disagree OP. I can only imagine what the compliance of a 70 series tire would do when coupled with the technology of today. I doubt you'd ever feel a bump. I think the closest thing to what you're talking about was the era of the 225/60r16 tires which came on the crown vics, buicks and the like. Of course they were also available with a 215/70r15 at the time, so there's that too. 
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 1:03:35 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't find "floating" to be comfortable and looking at the trend of luxury cars over the last 25yrs, nobody else does either.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 1:05:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
I don't think you are the only one.
I do like low profile tires for a sporty road feel and look, but I don't care for low-profile tires on a minivan.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 1:30:10 AM EDT
[#11]
My car came with 17" wheels with about 1.5" of tire sidewall on them from the factory.

They looked great but the ride sucked.

Went down to a set of 16" wheels with more sidewall and it is a much better ride.

Looks a little better too.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 1:43:54 AM EDT
[#12]
I completely agree with the OP.  Low profile tires have a place, but has become more fashion than function.  Low profiles on sports cars and touring sedans makes sense.  22" wheels and 40 series on 4wd pickups and suvs is just stupid.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 1:45:15 AM EDT
[#13]
The problem is pedestrian impact standards dictating a tall hood. Tall hood dictates a high belt line. To make the car less awful looking and somewhat better proportioned,the wheel arches are huge and thus need large diameter wheels to fill them. Rather than high profile tires,large rims and low profile tires are the method.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 2:01:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I don't disagree OP. I can only imagine what the compliance of a 70 series tire would do when coupled with the technology of today. I doubt you'd ever feel a bump. I think the closest thing to what you're talking about was the era of the 225/60r16 tires which came on the crown vics, buicks and the like. Of course they were also available with a 215/70r15 at the time, so there's that too. 
View Quote

My '93 notch back rides like a goddamn bread truck on 50 series rubber, while the GTI is downright comfortable on 45.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 2:02:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I dunno. I've got 10" of sidewall and still feel bumps.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 2:03:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Just go get a pickup truck.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 2:11:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I completely agree with the OP.  Low profile tires have a place, but has become more fashion than function.  Low profiles on sports cars and touring sedans makes sense.  22" wheels and 40 series on 4wd pickups and suvs is just stupid.
View Quote

You really don't need 22" wheels on.. basically anything. To include legitimate track-only cars, and multi-million dollar supercars. They do it for looks 100% of the time. Fuck, F1 cars run 14" wheels lol

The only reason, from an engineering standpoint (rather than looks), to run larger diameter wheels on a street vehicle is to clear oversized calipers; the other half of the time it's for tire availability. Kind of hard to find worthwhile <200 tread tires in 16" for example. Other than that larger diameter wheels = more unnecessary rotating weight. I laugh at idiots who go larger wheel diameter, they could downsize and end up braking faster, cornering harder, and accelerating slightly quicker due to a few pounds less per corner. If its a 1/100th of a difference, its still a difference. Wider wheels for wider tires makes sense most of the time though, even a bump from 245 to 265 can make a huge difference for high speed hairpins (certainly did in my evo).

Link Posted: 12/13/2016 2:20:11 AM EDT
[#18]
So you're not into cars and like trucks/suvs?
CSB
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 2:22:33 AM EDT
[#19]
It's not the tire sizes, but rather the type of car, suspension components/geometry etc.

2004-2006 Lexus LS430 with the larger "sport" wheels, 245/45/18 glides over and eats up pretty much anything the road throws at it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 2:28:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You really don't need 22" wheels on.. basically anything. To include legitimate track-only cars, and multi-million dollar supercars. They do it for looks 100% of the time. Fuck, F1 cars run 14" wheels lol

The only reason, from an engineering standpoint (rather than looks), to run larger diameter wheels on a street vehicle is to clear oversized calipers; the other half of the time it's for tire availability. Kind of hard to find worthwhile <200 tread tires in 16" for example. Other than that larger diameter wheels = more unnecessary rotating weight. I laugh at idiots who go larger wheel diameter, they could downsize and end up braking faster, cornering harder, and accelerating slightly quicker due to a few pounds less per corner. If its a 1/100th of a difference, its still a difference. Wider wheels for wider tires makes sense most of the time though, even a bump from 245 to 265 can make a huge difference for high speed hairpins (certainly did in my evo).
View Quote

Mostly true, until the actual enthusiast buys proper rims. You know, the ones that are larger and wider than stock and are still lighter than the tires that get mounted to it. You're more than familiar with RPF1's if you're from the EVO world.  My old CE28N's were fantastic.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 2:33:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Saw a Delta 88 running 265/75R16 Duratracs the other day. Stock suspension.

You looking for one of those boats?
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 2:38:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, we call them trucks...

Link Posted: 12/13/2016 2:52:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Mostly true, until the actual enthusiast buys proper rims. You know, the ones that are larger and wider than stock and are still lighter than the tires that get mounted to it. You're more than familiar with RPF1's if you're from the EVO world.  My old CE28N's were fantastic.
View Quote

Always wanted a set of those. I "settled" for TE37SLs instead, wasn't gonna wait 6 months. Literally >5lbs lighter per corner, yet 1" wider. The look grew on me though, probably because my wallet hated me for a long time

edit pic:

Link Posted: 12/13/2016 3:14:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 3:20:48 AM EDT
[#25]
You lost me @ more grip.

ETA, re-read op... you said give.

Still though, of all the thing to bitch about?
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 3:31:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Why drive a car when there are trucks and SUV's?
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 3:42:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Why drive a car when there are trucks and SUV's?
View Quote

Without fail everytime i drive in anything that isn't a car, i feel like i'm going to rollover. It could be a damn Cayenne Turbo S for all i care, still feels like a rollover waiting to happen.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 3:46:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Without fail everytime i drive in anything that isn't a car, i feel like i'm going to rollover. It could be a damn Cayenne Turbo S for all i care, still feels like a rollover waiting to happen.
View Quote

I imagine George Costanza saying this.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 3:54:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I imagine George Costanza saying this.  
View Quote

I was thinking Elaine.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 3:59:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Without fail, every time I drive in anything that isn't a lifted 4x4, I feel like I'm going to slide right off the side of the road due to lateral Gs.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 4:12:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Without fail, every time I drive in anything that isn't a lifted 4x4, I feel like I'm going to slide right off the side of the road due to lateral Gs.  
View Quote

I guess that makes sense.. in mud.

Not in ice, nor in 95+ degree tarmac.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 4:32:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I guess that makes sense.. in mud.

Not in ice, nor in 95+ degree tarmac.
View Quote

Brake, then turn corner; it's possible you won't feel like you're going to roll over.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 4:34:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Brake, then turn corner; it's possible you won't feel like you're going to roll over.
View Quote

Thats like telling me i need to reload when i can buy my way out of it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 4:35:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Thats like telling me i need to reload when i can buy my way out of it.
View Quote

Then there's no help for you my friend, drive fastly.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 4:35:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Thread needs mo' deuce-deuces.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 5:19:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Nothing wrong with the comfort and road holding of 40 profile tyres.

Link Posted: 12/13/2016 5:51:32 AM EDT
[#37]
I agree OP I drive a 3" lowered 99 Dakota with 295/50-15s, I have rented'15-'17 Dodge cars, Nissans, Toyotas and a Jeep Cherokee, they all had horrible road noise compared to my old truck which handles like a go-cart btw.
With the Cherokee, the second I rolled out of the rental lot I though the fucking wheel bearing were out it was so noisy. One time they gave me a Camry with higher profile tires(16s I assume, rather than 18s) and it was actual pretty quiet and had seemingly less skittish steering, I assumed it was due to the tires.

I cannot believe people are ok with the road noise with these cars. I really like the Camrys and try to get one everytime I rent, if I were to buy one I would try to find one with 16s or , gasp, 15s.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 5:58:44 AM EDT
[#38]
A big reason for those tires becoming more common place is larger brake disks which allow for faster stopping.....which increases safety.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 5:59:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Colorado, in a cloud.....I get what you are saying.
View Quote
CO has some of the shittiest roads I've ever been on.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 6:02:13 AM EDT
[#40]
 To be fair, that would probably flatten a good number of off-road tires.  I've seen rocks smaller than that punch holes in Goodyear kevlar lined truck tires that had less than 10k on them (I know because the truck had less than 10k when I watched my boss get that flat and I was the one who took the tire in to the shop to get replaced).
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 8:57:28 PM EDT
[#41]

That wouldn't have happened had you been driving on the proper side of the road.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 8:58:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
CO has some of the shittiest roads I've ever been on.
View Quote

Never been to PA have you?
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 9:02:23 PM EDT
[#43]

Who needs good handling...? pfffft

I drive on 40s with 18 inch wheels and Koni adjustable suspension dialed as stiff as possible. And I have to drive on base.  And I am in control.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 9:05:04 PM EDT
[#44]
i have 40 series, previous bmw has 35's iirc. rode like a bitch and potholes was my nightmare.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 9:08:35 PM EDT
[#45]
If you want a 70's-90's cadillac, then buy one.  Otherwise you need an SUV or some faggy crossover now old man.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 9:14:42 PM EDT
[#46]
The best are the cringy pickups with low profile tires.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 9:16:26 PM EDT
[#47]
I rather enjoy driving the lady's Infiniti.  Nice change from the jeep.  Of course I actually have to pay attention to speed bumps and curbs...
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 9:18:51 PM EDT
[#48]
I run 225/45R17 Michelin Pilot Super Sports. They are not for show, and I couldn't care less about "ride quality". Stiff is good.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 9:21:50 PM EDT
[#49]
My f150 came with 18's. I took them off and put on 17s, with a 2" bigger tire.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 9:33:38 PM EDT
[#50]
I know the 65 and 75 series low profile tires ride worse than the standard profile tires also.

But my work truck won't clear standard profile tires on steer or drive axles. Just 445/65x22.5

I want new wheels on my old chevy to get rid of the stupid 20" wheels and get some 22.5"
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top