Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2016 1:22:51 PM EDT

What does the hive think about upgrading a DPMS AP4 with a 18 to 20" SS match barrel, better trigger, etc... or, building or buying a new rifle with a matched upper/ lower handguard like the Aero M5?

Thoughts?

Thanks for the input!

Please keep the DPMS slander to a minimum

Link Posted: 12/11/2016 1:29:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I did exactly that.

Total rebuild. Only thing left stock are the receivers.

Now i want to use the 16" barrel to make a 12" shorty!
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 1:32:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm in sort of the same boat, but my 2 LR308s shoot fine.   Just wanting less weight to pack around, particularly during elk season.

So I'll sell at least one, and end up with a G2 LW hunter.  To dpms credit, they have minimized all the overbuilt components that we think of as standard .    

I think more companies will get on the downsizing of the platform, but they are doing it now.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 1:34:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I vote rebuild. It will both be fun and worthwhile. DPMS is solid at its core, usually just unrefined from the factory. It might not be the most cost effective option but it will definitely be more fulfilling.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 2:21:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I vote rebuild. It will both be fun and worthwhile. DPMS is solid at its core, usually just unrefined from the factory. It might not be the most cost effective option but it will definitely be more fulfilling.
View Quote

Thanks for the input all.

I'm leaning this way too. It seems like the path of least resistance and paperwork. I was thinking about selling the 16" barrel with the front sight and handguard to put towards the new parts.

How much interest and what price would that stuff bring ya think? 60 rounds through it. The AP4 shoots good groups but I don't feel like it's worth hanging onto...

Thanks again
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 2:52:35 PM EDT
[#5]
What about keep what you have and build another upper?    Best of both worlds.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 5:14:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What about keep what you have and build another upper?    Best of both worlds.
View Quote

That's tempting but I don't see wanting the 16'' barrel and everything that goes with it.

The upper and lower fit is pretty good so was figuring just swap out the other parts...
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 5:36:04 PM EDT
[#7]
IDK how much you would get for those parts, but spend some time in the EE to get a good idea.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 9:18:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Any opinions on the  Aero Precision M5 M-LOC builders kit?

It looks like a great starting point.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 12/15/2016 9:35:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Have an LR308 sportical.
I wanted to convert it to a Oracle. At the time I thought I'd need a new bolt carrier along with the other parts. Figured out it was cheaper to buy an assembled upper, but no one ever seems to have them in stock. It turns out a complete rifle on sale at a big box is cheaper than an out of stock upper at MSRP.
Ended up just buying an Oracle because it wasn't worth the headaches.

Now I still want to convert the Sportical.
But at least I figured out I don't need a new bolt carrier, just the upper receiver, a wrench and a vice block. So, roughtly 80 dollars worth of tools and whatever an upper, gas block and mil-spec stock set me back. Y'know, basically the cost of an upper.

You get spoiled on AR15s.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 9:59:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I worked the gun show circuit in FL from 2007-12 and the FFL was direct with DPMS.  I'm in medical sales, but a friend needed sales help and I didn't have kids yet and the wife worked weekends.  

I've probably sold 6K of their rifles.  Test your rifle with a variety of ammo first.  If it doesn't perform for your intended role, then start rebuilding.  I have the AP4 and other than the stock (UBR swap) and handguard (Troy Alpha), my barrel is a very good factory specimen.  I can drop 168FGGM into MOA with 5 rnd groups out to 700 yards (longest I've tried).  VERY pleasingly it is 2 MOA with Walmart 150 grain fed soft points which is what I intend to use the rifle for - blasting food hogs and deer.  

DPMS get A LOT of flack given some QC issues over the years but they sell a ton of rifles so even if their failure % is = to say LWRC or Colt, they sell a million rifles more given their price point and so there are more bad rifles out there.  They are not a boutique manufacturer.  Want a Larue or LWRC - spend that money.  I have an LWRC SBR - awesome rifle.  My larue upper is a work of art and I put Mark's kids thru braces as nearly every gun has a larue mount on it.  But for budget guns - DPMS is a decent choice.  They have a great CS dept and if you drop a match barrel into your receiver you'll be really pleased.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:31:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top