User Panel

Posted: 7/4/2003 6:47:35 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 7:03:57 AM EDT
[#1]
as told to me by a woman

God must be a man, if God was a woman sem#n would taste like chocolate
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 7:08:30 AM EDT
[#2]
As a born-again Christian (who is far from perfect), I have no problem with humor in most forms, even when it pokes at the foibles of religion. Taste and appropriateness are important, though.

My personal threshold is pretty high.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 7:46:39 AM EDT
[#3]
God definitely has a sense of humor.  you can see it in various places (in particular, read 1 kings,18:16-40 about Elijah and the prophets of baal).  also, just look at the creativeness of us - His creations, in His image - and how the mind can work.  lots of humor there IMOH.  i usually don't get spun up unless it gets too ugly.  much the way you'd get if i insulted your wife/girlfriend/mama, etc. in a very trashy way.  but i keep in mind that God is judge, not me and i don't have to defend Him.  i pick my hills to fight over and besides, i don't have to laugh.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 8:09:35 AM EDT
[#4]
[img]http://pics.sluggy.com/comics/010416a.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 8:24:38 AM EDT
[#5]
As long as we can make a distinction between good-natured humor and stuff that amounts to an attack on the faith.

This guy dies and Peter meets him at the gates of Heaven.  Peter explains that he wants to make sure the guy is comfortable, so they're going to go look at some groups of people to see who he's like to hang out with for eternity.

They walk a bit and Peter shows him a group of people sitting in respectful, prayerful reverence.  "Who are they?" he asks.

Peter replies, "They're the Episcopalians.  Do you think you'd like to stay with them?"

"Well," the man thinks, "I can appreciate their reverent attitude, but I think I'd like somebody a bit more lively."

"OK" says Peter, "I think I know just the folks.  Follow me."

He leads the man to another group that is banging tambourines, shouting, and jumping.  "How about them?" he asks, "These are the Pentecostals."

The man answers, "I'm impressed by their enthusiasm, but they're a bit too rowdy for me.  Have you got anybody in between?"

Peter thinks for a second and replies, "I know exactly what you're looking for!  Let's go!"

They walk and walk and walk over the horizon until they are out of sight of the other groups of people, then they come upon some folks by themselves.  They're not too quiet and not too boisterous.

"This is perfect!" says the man.  "Who are they?"

Peter answers, "They're the Baptists."

The man then asks, "But why are they out here away from everyone else?"

Peter replies, "SSSHHHHHH!!!!! They think they're the only ones here!"

Hello?  Is this thing on?  Testing, testing...
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 8:31:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't think there's anything wrong with making jokes about christianity, as long as it is not meant as an attack.  Even if it is, the writer of the joke isn't going to hell, but I probably won't want to hang around that person.

I certainly don't believe that there's anything wrong with attacking any particular denomination.  None of them have all the answers, and many of them are just plain wrong *cough catholicism cough*.  I do not belong to any denomination.  I think it's stupid to do so.  Just look for truth, don't look for it based on a certain denomination's views.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top