Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/4/2003 1:31:24 AM EDT
I haven't been on this board for a long time, but I have seen my share of posts about fat people and I think I need to vent.

Why are some guys here so obsessed with fat people? Why does it matter if people are fat? Is the person that is obsessed with fat people perfect?

If Rosie or Michael Moore were "pro-gun" would their weight even be an issue? Probably not, but since they're anti, there are more comments about their weight than their stand on guns...

If you needed a 911 operator or a police officer or a paramedic, would it really matter if they are overweight? What if you were selling your home, would it matter if a fat guy bought it? What if you were buying an AR and the FFL was fat, would you go buy it somewhere else?

Most of the posters that are concerned about other peoples weight wouldn't give a rats ass if it benefits them..Otherwise, they're a bunch of "overeating fat pigs who deserve heart attacks"...

It just makes me sad that some guys on this awesome board are so shallow....

Rant over...
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 1:42:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't read too much into it - I wasn't fat at all until my mid 30's, and though not obese, I now would be classified as "fat" by some. Ask me if I give a crap! I sometimes crack on very skinny people, and often crack on guys that are fit as can be - everyone has something to laugh at or about. If you think YOU'RE too fat, you can do something about it or not. Your choice.

As for me, I could lose 30 or so pounds. I may even go for it one of these days. It has had no effect on my life or health so far though. I was pretty big when I was thin though, and most folks don't tend to pick on me in person. I wouldn't care if they did.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 2:51:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Fat is the last "PC" prejudice...

or so it seems.

Sorry for the oxymoron :)

Gwen in L.A.

Link Posted: 7/4/2003 3:30:19 AM EDT
[#3]
If you needed a 911 operator or a police officer or a paramedic, would it really matter if they are overweight
View Quote

uh..yeah it would matter, for a fat cop or paramedic could NOT do their job effectively and therefore would/could put lives at risk.
Oh BYW,,nuttin like seeing a big fat chick in a Yugo stuffing her face with a bigmac..[puke]
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 3:39:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Why are some guys here so obsessed with fat people?
View Quote

Because every see one of these wobbling, walking mountains of human beings, I'm quite grossed out. That's why.

If you needed a 911 operator or a police officer or a paramedic, would it really matter if they are overweight?
View Quote

Yes, it would. How is the paramedic going to treat the injured person when he squashes him flat when bending over? And don't forget the limited room in the back of an ambulance.
Fat cops, oh yeah, "Stop! Or I...huff puff, will be really out of breath! Ouch!" Seen it.

What if you were selling your home, would it matter if a fat guy bought it?
View Quote

What if you're a landlord, and the fat tenant sues you for cripple-accessible extra wide doors, bathtubs, shitters?

Most of the posters that are concerned about other peoples weight wouldn't give a rats ass if it benefits them
View Quote

Well, but it doesn't, so what's your point? Can you name one instance where the fact that somebody is grossly overweight could possibly benefit anyone?

..Otherwise, they're a bunch of "overeating fat pigs who deserve heart attacks"...
View Quote

Nobody was complaining about the sight of a slightly or very overweight person. A large ass, or a well-rounded paunch doesn't bother anyone. But those human Mount Fuji-Fucking-Amas that I keep seeing, munching and chewing and wobbling all over the place, yuck! If you really have to eat all the time, work it off. But no! The have to roll around in those electric shopping carts when the go out and fetch more junk to gobble up. I pretty much eat all the time, too. However, I'm 170lbs at 6ft. How come? Don't eat junk and literally work your ass off.

It just makes me sad that some guys on this awesome board are so shallow....
View Quote

Possibly. But I can shop at the mall, and don't have to order from Omar the Tent-Maker. And I don't outweigh my vehicle.

Rant over...
View Quote

Thanks for asking for opinions. Hey, we can't discriminate against blacks, homos, foreigners, etc anymore. At least being fat is obviously a choice, if an unconscious one. A weakness. You'll be made fun of.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 3:46:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you needed a 911 operator or a police officer or a paramedic, would it really matter if they are overweight
View Quote

uh..yeah it would matter, for a fat cop or paramedic could NOT do their job effectively and therefore would/could put lives at risk.
Oh BYW,,nuttin like seeing a big fat chick in a Yugo stuffing her face with a bigmac..[puke]
View Quote

Being fat is not something one should approve of or celebrate. And we all know it.

Let's call a spade a spade: being fat or obese, as in being overweight, is bad for the body. It clogs up the arteries, makes it hard for the heart to do its job. It shortens one's life and makes it hard to move and enjoy life as easily or as well as when one is in the proper shape God intended us to be. Long ago we were a lean and industrious people, but now many Americans are just too goddamned fat, and it's making America into a lazy, adipose country full of stretch elastic waistbands and full-figured women's dress catalogs catering to heifers who have given up on themselves. How soon before we as a nation just give up, and say "whatever" to those who would control us with no real say from us, in exchange for a comfortable, lazy lifestyle?

I see a lot of fat people in New England, and friends from down South and out West tell me it's even worse out there. Too many cases of TB : Two Bellies! [:D]
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 3:53:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 4:01:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Because every see one of these [red]wobbling[/red], walking mountains of human beings, I'm quite grossed out. That's why.
View Quote

Hey you!
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 4:03:29 AM EDT
[#8]
OH BTW..thanks to fat ppl that complain cause they cant control their own eating habits. MCDONALDS FRYS taste like ass now, they arent as good , cause they were making ppl fat. screw that, if ya fat , i would advise not goin anywhere near fast food restaraunts. sorry there is only like 1% IMO that cant help it,(medical reasons, NOT mental , that is jus BS)  the other 99% of fat ppl have a choice, hey excersize is free.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 4:23:20 AM EDT
[#9]
This country is amazing.  Fat people here actually consider themselves [size=4]victims![/size=4]  One day, I just know this excuse will come from some lardass's mouth on why he/she is grossly overweight:

"I swear!  600 Big Macs, 400 Whoppers, 700 double cheeseburgers, 8 million french fries, and 60 flying pizzas chased me down the street, held me down and sqeezed in to my belly one at a time!  I can't believe how fat they made me!  [size=1]Yo, pass the gravy.[/size=1]"

There actually exist large (literally) groups of activists in this country whose only purpose in life is "Obese rights".  People shouldn't make fun of fatties, warning labels should be put on fatty food, blah, blah, blah...  What an utter joke.  
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 4:34:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Hey, check this out!  [url]http://www.naafa.org/[/url]

For all the preaching about acceptance, they don't seem to have many pictures on that site. I wonder why...

On edit: I was wrong. Here's one:

[img]http://www.naafa.org/events/convention99/photos/Cindy_Griffith.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 4:45:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Too many victims in this country. Way too many victims.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 4:53:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Refuse to be a victim

[img]http://www.catay.com/cat/barearms/back_3.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 4:55:00 AM EDT
[#13]
IBTL..lol.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 4:59:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Hey, check this out!  [url]http://www.naafa.org/[/url]

For all the preaching about acceptance, they don't seem to have many pictures on that site. I wonder why...

On edit: I was wrong. Here's one:

[url]http://www.naafa.org/events/convention99/photos/Cindy_Griffith.JPG[/url]
View Quote

That sight is truly disgusting. Most fat people are only as fat as they want to be.

As my late Grandma from Pocahontas Cty, WV, used to say about such people, "Six axe handles wide, laid end-to-end."

Link Posted: 7/4/2003 5:15:19 AM EDT
[#15]
From the FAT BOARD [url]http://www.naafa.org/discussion/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=16&t=000288[/url]

Your gonna love this one.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 5:57:41 AM EDT
[#16]
If you are fat it shows weakness of character.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 6:01:57 AM EDT
[#17]
I hear where AZ_Redneck is comming from, I have a congenital propensity to a degenerative joint disorder, to date I have had two surgeries for blown discs in my lower back, I've had both knees worked on, and have recently finished a course of 3 seperate surgeries to repair my left elbow and left wrist.

These surguries for my wrist and elbow alone  have kept me out of commision for the last year and a half.

I'm told I need the same done on my right arm too. I have not done anything about the bone spurs in my neck that are causing me to loose feeling in my hands and feet because of the danger of ending up paralyzed for the rest of my life.

All this and I'm only 45. I am not morbidly obese, I could stand to loose 50 or 60 Lbs. and would gladly do so if I were physically able to do so without  causing greater damage to my self. Working out is not an option!

If you want to know about constant pain ask me!!

So you see I didn't gain this extra weight by being lazy, or stuffing my face with Big Macs all day, I happen to eat very little, but am cursed with a slow metabolism, as a matter of fact my wife who weighs 125 often eats more than I do through out the day.

So when all you "Adonis's" see someone who dosen't meet your standard of fittness, you might want to think twice about exactly how he got that way. But judging by the attitude of some of the people who have posted on this thread, they probably couldn't buy a clue!![rant off!!]
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 6:05:39 AM EDT
[#18]
I think we pretty much can admit that obesitY is epidemic in this country.  Ever since they started wrapping bread around a meat patty or weiner it's been bigger and not necessarily better.

Before we all hyperventilate about lawsuits over "fast food" and manufactured food,consider that Kraft  just recently changed their serving sizes and calories on many items to meet this problem before they ended up in court over it.  The old burger in the 60's used to have 200 or so calories and now it's 600.  French fry servings on average have tripled in size.  A kid considers a 20 oz Coke a serving, when Coca Cola claims it is 2 1/2 servings.  Look around at all the obese kids.  It's a sad sight.

I was against the lawsuits in the beginning but I think the mere threat will bring some needed change.  I know we all like to claim some high moral ground of choice but food is so cheap here that we can market it pretty irresponibly.  In the end society will pay one way or the other for health problems of the obese, whether due to OVER-EATING or being OVER-SERVED.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 6:09:14 AM EDT
[#19]
We need fat people......You see when the Apocalypse happens and we run out of MRE's and natural food sources we may be forced to sustain ourselves from alternate sources - thats right.......fat people.....call it Cannabilism but I read a very informative article in an old copy of American Survival Guide......or maybe I'm just getting delusional.......Just the same one hefty 400 lb slob has the same meat as a small Moose......think about it......
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 6:12:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
From the FAT BOARD [url]http://www.naafa.org/discussion/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=16&t=000288[/url]

View Quote

OH CRAP....[toilet]
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 6:21:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I hear where AZ_Redneck is comming from, I have a congenital propensity to a degenerative joint disorder, to date I have had two surgeries for blown discs in my lower back, I've had both knees worked on, and have recently finished a course of 3 seperate surgeries to repair my left elbow and left wrist.

These surguries for my wrist and elbow alone  have kept me out of commision for the last year and a half.
View Quote

My wife, the doc (MD, Family Practice) is interested in this one. She asks: what is the disorder exactly called? Why were the surgeries needed? What further treatment or courses of action were ordered by the MDs and/or surgeons?

I'm told I need the same done on my right arm too. I have not done anything about the bone spurs in my neck that are causing me to loose feeling in my hands and feet because of the danger of ending up paralyzed for the rest of my life.

All this and I'm only 45. I am not morbidly obese, I could stand to loose 50 or 60 Lbs. and would gladly do so if I were physically able to do so without  causing greater damage to my self. Working out is not an option!
View Quote

???

If you want to know about constant pain ask me!!

So you see I didn't gain this extra weight by being lazy, or stuffing my face with Big Macs all day, I happen to eat very little, but am cursed with a slow metabolism, as a matter of fact my wife who weighs 125 often eats more than I do through out the day.
View Quote

She also wants to know if you've had any genetic testing done. "Slow metabolism" (catch-all term) is generally dealt with by dietary changes, prescribed drugs (sometimes) and appropriate exercise. She asks if you've been advised to use swimming (in mild form, no Olympic style stuff) as a good CVA activity that is not hard on the joints (She's on the phone as I type this). Have you had any physical therapy?

So when all you "Adonis's" see someone who dosen't meet your standard of fittness, you might want to think twice about exactly how he got that way. But judging by the attitude of some of the people who have posted on this thread, they probably couldn't buy a clue!![rant off!!]
View Quote

Ease up- if your condition has been medically confirmed, you are the 1/2 to 1% of the population exception that proves the rule. If however, being overweight contributed to your joint problems, then the condition becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy, doesn't it?
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 6:23:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I can see how /this/ thread is going down the crapper.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 6:24:49 AM EDT
[#23]
being fat is something to be ashamed of

a sign of lazyness

Link Posted: 7/4/2003 6:35:32 AM EDT
[#24]
 Someone did make a good point on metabolism - I used to have a high metabolism - I could eat $20 worth of McDonalds, run around all day working, and not gain a pound.......seriously...Now I ate a value meal from some fast food place and bloat up instantly. I'm not as thin as I used to be - not obese - I could still out PT some skinny mofo's out there....Hopefully I'll lose what little fat I do have - that miniature beer gut of sorts.....if not, I have more to sustain off of during the Apocalypse.....which brings me back to my previous post.....The Eskimos have lived off of whale blubber for hundreds of years....fat people DO have their purpose in TEOTWAWKI......Everything happens for a reason.....
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 7:12:10 AM EDT
[#25]
If the stomach stapler isn't the most frequently used power tool in the USA, then it should be.

TT [wave]
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 7:12:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

I can see how /this/ thread is going down the crapper.
View Quote

I read it and laughed so hard I cried. Than I had to go the bathroom....[%|]
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 7:15:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

or so it seems.

Gwen in L.A.

View Quote

That is so true. And smokers, as well. Or even gun owners.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 7:23:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

or so it seems.

Gwen in L.A.

View Quote

That is so true. And smokers, as well. Or even gun owners.
View Quote

If people want to smoke themselves back to the Stone Age, stuff themselves with Twinkies until they burst, or, say, indulge in bizarre sex acts with consenting adults in private, be my guest, but don't ask for my approval, nor ask me to cut a check to support them or their activities, nor to pay for the clean-up from their sins afterward.

That oughta do it, ya think? [thinking]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top