Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/3/2003 10:00:43 PM EDT
Need advice guys.  Which would you choose it these were your choices?  Why would you choose, pros and cons, everything.  Thanks for the advice!
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 10:11:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Pathfinder
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 10:19:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Tiff,

We've got 2 toyotas in the driveway.  A 4runner and a tacoma.  My last toyota (87 celica) went 276,000 miles without a major problem.  The tranny finally gave up.

I'm a true toyota beleiver.  .02

And a special thanks to you.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 10:27:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I personally think the '03 4Runners are ugly, but not nearly as ugly as the Pathfinders. You asked for it, you got it...Toyota!
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 10:44:01 PM EDT
[#4]
'Yota!
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 11:50:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Toyota
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 11:59:12 PM EDT
[#6]
A good friend has a pathfinder:

Good power
Good Mileage ( for its engine class )
Great ride

Torsan bars don't last (he's on his 3rd set)
as the Torsan bars loose there spring it alters the alignment...

That said - He bought a 4Runner that he is going to do an engine swap and other "upgrades" then dump the Pathfinder...
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 5:17:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I had 86 and 99 4Runners, FJ-80, five 4x4 and one 4x2 pickups and currently have two Pathfinders.  Get the 4Runner, it also gets slightly better gas mileage.  It isn't that the Pathfinder is bad, it's just that the Toyota is better.  I'm getting a new Tacoma in the Spring.  Unless the FJ Cruiser is out, then I may get that.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 5:18:35 AM EDT
[#8]
How about an American vehicle, remember, BE AMERICAN, BUY AMERICAN!!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 5:27:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Toyota - I just bought a Toyota Tacoma 4X4 - very nice truck - my new urban assault vehicle........A friend of mine told me his father's Toyota had around 400,000 miles when it finally died for good - his dad does body work on vehicles and had to complete restore the vehicle but the engine was still going. My truck is a 2000 with 65,000 miles - I plan on running it forever - even after it looks old and ugly......Consider too that you see Toyotas being used overseas in sh##holes like Afghanistan either by our Spec Ops guys or the bad guys.....Can't say anything pro or con on the Nissan Pathfinder - never looked into them.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 5:29:34 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm 6'3" and found the Pathfinder lacks headroom, but the 4runner was fine.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 5:45:54 AM EDT
[#11]
My parents have driven pathfinders for the last 15 years.  Never had a major problem with them.  Current one is a 99.5 SE... its nice, I like it.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 6:24:46 AM EDT
[#12]
4Runners are the standard of the class, period.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 6:41:35 AM EDT
[#13]
New or used?  What are you going to use it for? If you're talking about used / pre-2003 models, then I can offer some advice. If street oriented, go w/ the pathfinder. The engine and handling are much better.  IF you go offroad, then DEFINITELY go w/ the 4runner.  Overall, they are both nice vehicles.  Both have excellent reliability records.  It is worth notiving that Toyotas hold value much better.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 7:03:29 AM EDT
[#14]
The new 4Runner is absloutly awsome... Get the V8.

Pathfinders are a joke...
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 9:18:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
How about an American vehicle, remember, BE AMERICAN, BUY AMERICAN!!!!!!
View Quote

Right...
Where are 4Runners built & what are the domestic & foreign component %'s?
Who are the equity owners of the company? Where do they live? After all, that determines who recieves the financial benefit from the action of purchase. It's a little more complicated then just buying something, anything that the Big 3 make. Besides, it is counter-intuitive to say "Buy American, Be American!" when they produce an inferior product relative to the discussion at hand. Afterall, Americans believe in competition and in letting the free market rule. So, if I want to "Buy American, Be American!" let the Big 3 build a vehicle that is as good or better then what the other companies are making. Compete & win in the free market-then you get my money...
Sure, its harder then "Buy American, Be American!", but where would America be w/out her people & her institutions competeing & actually being the best...
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 9:32:57 AM EDT
[#16]
I've been a Toyota owner since 1987 when I bought a 4Runner shortly after getting my first job out of college. I kept it for 11 years, driving it cross-country, doing some fairly hard off-road use (accidently caught air a couple of times), and racked up almost 180,000 miles. In that time I only replaced the clutch (standard wear item) and a wheel bearing (from hitting a curb in the snow at 40mph -- another time I caught some air in it).

I've owned various other Toyotas along the way including a '90 Turbo Supra (which I miss and regret selling), and a couple of 4x4 PUs. Currently an Avalon (wife's) and a Pickup. I've looked at Nissans along the way, and while they appear to be decent vehicles, the Toyotas still seemed to be a better buy to me.

FWIW, my "fun" car is a '67 GTO w/ 455 (xXx style). Now *that's* a kick in the pants. I love driving that: bury the gas pedal and sink into the seat. Going to pull the engine soon to replace the cam and freshen it up and add headers. My neighbors will hate me... [}:D]
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 9:37:14 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a Toyota Landcruiser. I love it!

[img]http://pic1.picturetrail.com/VOL120/1251104/2373894/28739973.jpg[/img]

[img]http://pic1.picturetrail.com/VOL120/1251104/2373894/28740146.jpg[/img]

TT [wave]
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 9:42:15 AM EDT
[#18]
I don't know about the new ones, I looked at the 02 4Runners last summer and my left leg hit the door, my right leg hit the transfer case shifter, and my head wouldn't fit if I was wearing a hat.  I'm only 6' and I had the seat all the way back. YMMV
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 9:43:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Having just tapped this market for the fiance's choice of sissy SUV's I found the most capable off-roader to be the Discovery -- but at a very high price in the gas mileage dept.

The 4Runner was not much better, but looked and handled aggressively -- likely just as capable as the Pathfinder, but the Pathfinder's current chassis is proven around the world in the back country -- even as plush as it is.

If given the choice ONLY between the Pathfinder and the 4Runner I would take the 4Runner and hope it holds true to it's predecessor's reputation of off-road capability.

If I wanted a true performer, no questions asked, in the off-road department I would get a Jeep Rubicon/Jeep Grand Cherokee or Land Rover Discovery.  
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 9:45:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Toyota hands down. Remember Nissan had to be bailed out by Renault a few years back. Their products have suffered as a result of their poor financial situation. For the last eight years we've owned nothing but Toyotas. No one can compete with their quality in the truck/suv market.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 12:08:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 12:15:50 PM EDT
[#22]
I wouldnt get the Pathblocker...thats for sure.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 12:22:46 PM EDT
[#23]
I'd say 4runner.  I looked at the 2003's myself, but bought something else because the interiors of the 4runner were crap, considering the cost.  The chassis and engines were very nice.  I agree with an earlier poster who said the V8's were awesome.  Really ran nice.  But, it's only if you want the "serviceable" level.  Otherwise, the interiors will  annoy you for the price.  The A/C controls are dumb, too: the regular pickup dash is better.  
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 12:25:08 PM EDT
[#24]
I've got a 95 Pathfinder, it's been great, but if I'd had the money I would have gotten the Toyota. If you are interested in aftermarket parts the Toyota has plenty from several vendors, the Pathfinder is a search and still not lots available.

The Toyota has a better power/gas mileage ratio as well.

Do you plant to buy new or used? If used what year(s)?
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 1:12:56 PM EDT
[#25]
[img]http://www.ibiscom.com/images/ph01.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.ibiscom.com/images/ph04.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.ibiscom.com/images/ph06.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 1:49:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
[url]http://www.ibiscom.com/images/ph01.jpg[/url]

[url]http://www.ibiscom.com/images/ph04.jpg[/url]

[url]http://www.ibiscom.com/images/ph06.jpg[/url]
View Quote

[img]http://www.pcf.city.hiroshima.jp/peacesite/GIF/Stage1/b-3.jpg[/img]

I think we paid them back fairly well.....next...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top