Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/3/2003 8:12:45 PM EDT
Well today I went to a fireworks display/laser show (yes it isn't the 4th but it's going on all week at the 6 Flags nearby) Anyways during the show they played God Bless America. Well as soon as it starts playing I stand up and some kids in front of me stood up too. It was sad that only about maybe 50 people out of about 1500 stood up but thats not the point these kids about half way through the song glance and see that there parents are not standing, so they turn around and pull them up. I thought that was wonderful to see kids honoring the country and flag more than the parents and then helping the parents realize this. any comments?
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 8:16:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Most people don't realize the playing of God Bless America is just as significant as The Star Spangled Banner.  Military men in uniform are required to salute both songs just the same.  Most people think standing is just for The National Anthem.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 8:20:19 PM EDT
[#2]
"Most people" are right.  "God Bless America" is a nice song, but no need to rise if you don't want to and there is definitely no requirement to salute if played.

Where do you guys come up with some of these?
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 8:22:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice to hear that there is still hope for the younger ones out there...

I only stand for the National Anthem, to do otherwise is disrespectful of the title, position, reverence, and meaning the Star Spangled Banner is due. I enjoy all other patriotic songs, but they are not our National Anthem.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 8:24:00 PM EDT
[#4]
They had the Flag in lasers on the screen during this so it was as if the flag was right there.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 8:25:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
"Most people" are right.  "God Bless America" is a nice song, but no need to rise if you don't want to and there is definitely no requirement to salute if played.

Where do you guys come up with some of these?
View Quote

Uh, are you positive "God Bless America" doesn't warrant a salute according to military regulations?
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 8:26:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Military men in uniform are required to salute both songs just the same.  Most people think standing is just for The National Anthem.
View Quote

where did you hear that? Been in the Corps 7 years, never heard that, not even once. Marines are required to stand at the position of attention (POA) for the National Anthem,Colors, and Taps at a funeral. no other songs
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 8:31:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Fuck, too much shit stuffed into my head in the Corps.  Foot in mouth again.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 12:03:17 AM EDT
[#8]
No other songs??? Try saying that after sitting in front of a Master Gunnery Sgt when they play the Marines Hymn.

Also any other National Anthems or Honors and Flourishes when part of an official ceremony.

(A long time ago and far far away (OK only about 5 miles from here) I once saw a young man in uniform fail to turn come to attention and salute for evening Colors at Navy Night at Disneyland.  Tickets were from Special Services all over SoCal including San Diego, Camp Pendleton, Long Beach etc for like $10.  So there were a lot of Sea Service types around.  Some guy that appeared to be a fire ating Chief or Gunny sounded off "Colors"  And people all up and down Main Street and the Plazas rendered honors.  Civilians clearly were confused by the tuening and stopping and salutes.  This poor gob kept walking.  Looked like a well deserved major reaming occurred shortly thereafter.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top