Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/7/2016 5:36:57 PM EDT
Found an old US Navy button, but we can't quite nail down the date.  Looking at the one on the right, it's just about half an inch in diameter.  The closest I've been able to find so far puts it post 1830s, which wrecks our narrative.  The one on the left is 1810-1830ish, and they were found near each other.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 5:37:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Its missing off Monk's uniform.  He's gonna be pissed.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 1:32:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 1:38:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Its missing off Monk's uniform.  He's gonna be pissed.
View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 1:57:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I will have nothing useful to add here but how did you find these?
Pretty cool.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 1:57:23 AM EDT
[#5]
The one on the right certainly looks like 1830s era.

http://www.relicman.com/buttons/zArchiveButtonFederalNavyB1part.htm

is it possible it was In a uniform drawer or something similar?  
I have old uniform parts going all the way back to when I was a Midshipman 30 years ago sitting in the same box as the most modern uniform parts.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 1:59:31 AM EDT
[#6]
usmilitariaforum.com
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:41:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The one on the right certainly looks like 1830s era.

http://www.relicman.com/buttons/zArchiveButtonFederalNavyB1part.htm

is it possible it was In a uniform drawer or something similar?  
I have old uniform parts going all the way back to when I was a Midshipman 30 years ago sitting in the same box as the most modern uniform parts.
View Quote

Yeah, the only thing I could find put it to around 1830, but that example was much larger than this one.  They were found with a metal detector in VA Beach, in what we THINK was a War of 1812 related camp/outpost/recruiting station/SOMETHING (not somebody's house), but this button is fucking that theory up.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 1:11:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yeah, the only thing I could find put it to around 1830, but that example was much larger than this one.  They were found with a metal detector in VA Beach, in what we THINK was a War of 1812 related camp/outpost/recruiting station/SOMETHING (not somebody's house), but this button is fucking that theory up.
View Quote

Maybe the site of multiple camps over decades?  It was a good place for camping, so they kept going back to it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 1:56:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Maybe the site of multiple camps over decades?  It was a good place for camping, so they kept going back to it.
View Quote

No, this place would have been pretty swampy before some farmer ditched it.

ETA:  One thought was that some officer came back to it a couple decades later to reminisce, and somehow lost a button off of his newer coat while he was there?  Sounds pretty thin to me, but I guess it's plausible.

ETA2:  This button is the only thing that dates to post-War of 1812.  All the dateable ceramics we've found are solidly late 18th to early 19th century, and all the other archaeological features we've found say it was a single short term occupation.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 2:49:38 PM EDT
[#10]
If they only had camera phones in 1830...
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 2:57:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Are you the you tube metal detectorist aquachigger? He is from va I believe
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 3:04:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Are you the you tube metal detectorist aquachigger? He is from va I believe
View Quote

No.  I am but a humble CRM archaeologist.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top