Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/4/2016 10:13:42 PM EDT
My girlfriend seems to be getting more and more into photography. She always uses her phone to take pictures. I was thinking for Christmas I could get her a nice entry level  digital camera. I know nothing about cameras.

Can anyone help me out?
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 10:16:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Look at Sony or Fuji mirrorless cameras. They are good to go as is but can be upgraded with lenses if wanted. Some of the models are fairly inexpensive and some are pretty spendy. All of them take great photos.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 10:22:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Look at Sony or Fuji mirrorless cameras. They are good to go as is but can be upgraded with lenses if wanted. Some of the models are fairly inexpensive and some are pretty spendy. All of them take great photos.
View Quote

Okay thanks.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 10:31:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Canon Rebel series (T3i, T4i, T5i, T6i).

They have good starter lens kits and this series shoots great video for a crop sensor.

I use them for teaching my filmmaking class. Not one problem with them over the past five years (I have 10 units).
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 10:34:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Check out the Panasonic G7 w/ 14-140mm lens. Outstanding imagery at an incredible price at the moment... just under $500 from B&H Photo, Amazon and Adoroma.  Specs are very similar to the acclaimed Panasonic GH4 which sells for well over a thousand.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 10:38:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Either of the major brands (Canon/Nikon) will serve you well. They will all have a good lens selection for specialty stuff later.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 11:05:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't know much about the new mirrorless cameras, but I'm still using a Canon T3i and really like it. Better lenses make a big difference, but you could pick up a used camera body cheap and get a decent lens to go with it.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 11:18:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1. It's a couple of years old, but for a pocket camera it takes pretty amazing pictures. It has aperture priority, shutter priority, and full manual modes.

It's older now, so you might be able to find one on closeout or refurbished for a decent price. It would be an excellent step up from a phone cam without sinking a bunch of money into something that she might not use.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 11:26:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been taking some really good pics with a Nikon D3000. I've tried the D3300, but the body feels cheaper. I occasionally get to shoot with a Nikon D600. The D600 obviously puts out great pictures (and has a full frame sensor), but I've found that after spending additional time with the D3000 that the pictures come out pretty similar quality wise.

Here are some of my D3000 pics.

Link Posted: 12/4/2016 11:29:01 PM EDT
[#9]
What is your price range OP?  I'll see what I can whip up. 
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 11:32:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Canon Rebel series (T3i, T4i, T5i, T6i).

They have good starter lens kits and this series shoots great video for a crop sensor.

I use them for teaching my filmmaking class. Not one problem with them over the past five years (I have 10 units).
View Quote

Or the Nikon 3xxx series.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 11:33:16 PM EDT
[#11]
If she's used to carrying around and using an iPhone a lot she might not want to make the jump to a DSLR. It certainly won't be as convenient to carry around. Just something to keep in mind. 
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 11:34:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

NP is the hammer at finding deals.

And OP, be sure to check out our Photography forum, this very question is covered in about 3 or 4 active threads there.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 11:41:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 11:42:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

500 or under
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 11:57:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

500 or under
View Quote

The big thing is to find out if she would like a smaller mirrorless camera like the Olympus OMD or a full size DSLR.  Both can swap lenses, etc but have different feature sets.

IMO if she is used to using her phone, I'd probably go with a mirrorless since they are half the size.  I'll see what I can come up with.  Will edit this post.

Off the bat for DSLR's I have:
Nikon D3300 with 18-55mm lens $385
Nikon D5300 with 18-55 lens $500

Edit:  I'd personally recommend a mirrorless camera but am finding no deals on a Sony A6000 (sells for $6-650) or an Olympus OMD EM10 MKII (same price range normally) 

Will see what I come up with in the AM.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 12:13:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My girlfriend seems to be getting more and more into photography. She always uses her phone to take pictures. I was thinking for Christmas I could get her a nice entry level  digital camera. I know nothing about cameras.

Can anyone help me out?
View Quote

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1080917-REG/canon_9546b001_powershot_g7_x_digital.html
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 12:24:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Tag for info 
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 12:30:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The big thing is to find out if she would like a smaller mirrorless camera like the Olympus OMD or a full size DSLR.  Both can swap lenses, etc but have different feature sets.

IMO if she is used to using her phone, I'd probably go with a mirrorless since they are half the size.  I'll see what I can come up with.  Will edit this post.

Off the bat for DSLR's I have:
Nikon D3300 with 18-55mm lens $385
Nikon D5300 with 18-55 lens $500

Edit:  I'd personally recommend a mirrorless camera but am finding no deals on a Sony A6000 (sells for $6-650) or an Olympus OMD EM10 MKII (same price range normally) 

Will see what I come up with in the AM.
View Quote

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1029860-REG/sony_ilce6000l_b_alpha_a6000_mirrorless_digital.html
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 2:17:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

500 or under
View Quote

I'd check your local CL. Should be able to get a Nikon 3XXX series or 5XXX series for under that price point.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 5:50:08 AM EDT
[#20]
I just just bought a compact large sensor camera. I quickly learned that these cameras models are constantly being updated and the best deals are on the previous model. I'll post some of these deals I speak of.  I bought a micro 4/3 Panasonic GM5 from Adorama for $470 that's a great price. The model has been out for awhile when it was new they sold for aroumd $900 and they sell for $650 elsewhere now. Its just barely too big for a pocket but is an extremely small camera given the size of the sensor. As far as I'm aware the next step down in camera size would be the sony rx100 which is pocketable and is a great camera but is a large step down in sensor size (from 4/3 to 1").  For $400 the sony is about 1/2 off or more of its cost when the model was new. The GM5 Takes incredible pictures but the veiw screen leaves something to be desired. Take a look at the Sony a5100 as well its the largest of the cameras I've suggested but packs the largest sensor as well again for $550 its near 1/2 off as well. If your looking for a small travel carmera these are good ones. If its more of a full size dlsr your after better options are available. Good luck.

http://www.adorama.com/l/Cameras/Mirrorless-Cameras?sf=Price&sel=Model_Panasonic-GM5&term=panasonic-gm5&ShowMsg=t

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00889ST2G?tag=vglnk-c102-20&ascsubtag=wtbs_5845341e634137016b8ec7ca#featureBulletsAndDetailBullets_secondary_view_div_1480930460198

http://www.adorama.com/isoa5100b.html

Here's two pics of one my AR's one is taken by the GM5 on automatic settings and the other taken with my cellphone a Samsung Galaxy S3 both pics are without flash and in identical lighting withput flash.

Link Posted: 12/5/2016 6:02:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Decide for yourself:

http://www.steves-digicams.com

Steves Digicams has more info than you may be looking for but definitely a great place to start no matter what your price point may be.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 6:09:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If she's used to carrying around and using an iPhone a lot she might not want to make the jump to a DSLR. It certainly won't be as convenient to carry around. Just something to keep in mind. 
View Quote

The smaller units, like the Rebel series, coupled with a pancake lens, aren't too bag.  Ditch the neck strap, and attach a wrist strap, and they become very easy to carry around.  I have a Rebel T5i, and coupled with the EF-s 24mm f/2.8, and if it might even fit in the pants pockets of one or two pairs of my jeans.

Still, a dSLR isn't as easy to carry as a phone, but the more serious you get with photography... the more it's worth it.

OP, research the pros and cons of each brand before you jump in.  And be aware that good lenses cost money, the more serious she gets, the more she'll want better glass.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 6:51:40 AM EDT
[#23]
I would add a Pentax K-S2 to the list too.  Weather resistant when you have weather resistant lenses on it so you don't have to worry about getting caught in the rain.  Great value for the money.  But I would take her out so you can see what she is most comfortable handling.  I have been using Pentax for over 40 years and trust the brand.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 8:06:44 AM EDT
[#24]
The Sony a5000 is about $350
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-Mirrorless-Digital-Camera-16-50mm/dp/B00HNJWU3G/ref=pd_lpo_421_lp_t_4/154-5218862-5937032?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=D8V5NCH4HPA3B2EKPHS9&tag=vglnk-c102-20

The a5100 is even nicer but about $50 over your price range.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KeKZ_LX8j8
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 10:30:07 PM EDT
[#25]
We went to best buy tonight to see the cameras. She really liked the NIKON d3400 DSLR with 18-55 mm VR lens.  They also had a 5500.

Anyone have an opinion on the 3400? I know another member mentioned the D3000, but I didn't see it there.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 10:51:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
We went to best buy tonight to see the cameras. She really liked the NIKON d3400 DSLR with 18-55 mm VR lens.  They also had a 5500.

Anyone have an opinion on the 3400? I know another member mentioned the D3000, but I didn't see it there.
View Quote

The 3400 just came out a few weeks ago and is a fantastic camera.  It has the latest sensor and processor upgrades from Nikon and almost squeaks out my D7200 'prosumer' camera in terms of image quality.  It also has their Snapbridge bluetooth connectivity, so you can run the DSLR from your smartphone if you want.  Only their latest stuff has it, like the 3400.

It'll take all Nikon AF-S lenses for automatic function so you have around 190 factory ones and a fuckton of aftermarket options.

Since it's so new, I don't really have any screaming deals on it yet, but Nikon, Amazon, and Adorama each have an instant rebate of $400 on it right now.  So the two lens bundle is $600 from all three.  IMO the Adorama bundle gets you the most bang for your buck.

Nikon Holiday Bundle with 2 lenses, Nikon branded bag, and Nikon Photo School DVD
Amazon bundle with 2 lenses, sling bag, and SD card
Adorama bundle with 2 lenses, SD card, cleaning kit, soft case, and software set

The D5500 spec wise beats the D3400, but unless you are really pushing the camera you won't really notice the difference.

Big differences are a flip out touchscreen for controls, better autofocus system, and is better in low light.  That's about it really.  I only have one deal on the D5500 right now though, with no rebates I know of.

D5500 refurb kit with 1x lens from Nikon $550

Between the two, I'd still get the Adorama D3400 bundle.  More versatility over the 1 lens that comes with the D5500.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 11:03:53 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm an Olympus fanboy, and thus I'm invested in Olympus and Panasonic lenses. If I could start over, I'd be with Sony - maybe consider the a6000. It's not really what I would be after, but it seems like a great way to break into digital photography. I need to save a few $k more for an a7r II and lenses..

ETA: I feel guilty not plugging m4/3, though - so small for what you get.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 11:05:39 PM EDT
[#28]
I just went through all of this learning with a Christmas request from a teenage son as I am definitely not a camera guy.  I ended up finding a factory refurbished Canon T5 direct from Canon for well under $300.  I had asked a few buddies that are into photography, and they said it was a great camera for someone getting started that can be fitted with different lenses later.  Both of them said to snag a UV filter (58mm fits it) as they are cheaper than scratched real lenses and can be used most of the time, and a ND filter in the same size for outdoor photography.  Spare batteries and SD cards are good add-ons also. 

On edit:  Looks like they are up to $350 at the canon site for the refurbs now.  I bought it a month or so ago. 
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 11:11:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The 3400 just came out a few weeks ago and is a fantastic camera.  It has the latest sensor and processor upgrades from Nikon and almost squeaks out my D7200 'prosumer' camera in terms of image quality.  It also has their Snapbridge bluetooth connectivity, so you can run the DSLR from your smartphone if you want.  Only their latest stuff has it, like the 3400.

It'll take all Nikon AF-S lenses for automatic function so you have around 190 factory ones and a fuckton of aftermarket options.

Since it's so new, I don't really have any screaming deals on it yet, but Nikon, Amazon, and Adorama each have an instant rebate of $400 on it right now.  So the two lens bundle is $600 from all three.  IMO the Adorama bundle gets you the most bang for your buck.

Nikon Holiday Bundle with 2 lenses, Nikon branded bag, and Nikon Photo School DVD
Adorama bundle with 2 lenses, SD card, cleaning kit, soft case, and software set

The D5500 spec wise beats the D3400, but unless you are really pushing the camera you won't really notice the difference.

Big differences are a flip out touchscreen for controls, better autofocus system, and is better in low light.  That's about it really.  I only have one deal on the D5500 right now though, with no rebates I know of.

Between the two, I'd still get the Adorama D3400 bundle.  More versatility over the 1 lens that comes with the D5500.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for your help NP. She really seemed to like the 3400, and since she played with it this is what I'm going to order.

Thanks again :)
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 11:11:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'm an Olympus fanboy, and thus I'm invested in Olympus and Panasonic lenses. If I could start over, I'd be with Sony - maybe consider the a6000. It's not really what I would be after, but it seems like a great way to break into digital photography. I need to save a few $k more for an a7r II and lenses..
View Quote

The A7RII is a great camera with some issues.  The biggest ones that I've heard people complain about are the obscenely short battery life, and they get spotty in Alaska weather.  Something that is just popping up is that Fotodiox lens adapters (specifically Nikon F to Sony E mount) is bricking cameras.  It seems to largely be the Nikon 105mm macro, but not trusting an adapter cuts down a lot on lens selection.  Btw, their Zeiss glass is amazing.

Now I don't care for his politics, but Benjamin Von Wong is an amazing photographer and does some obscenely hard shots (photoshoot with a freediving model in a toxic Mexican cenote for example) that does a good (with some light politics) review of it for Petapixel.

Petapixel

Beyond that, take a look at the Olympus OMD-M1 MKII that's been out a few months.  For a 20mp mirrorless in the ~$1000 range, it takes amazing photos.  When I was selling cameras for a living, the EM-1 seriously made me consider my Nikon love.  Eventually I'll get one just as a travel camera, but I like my weather sealing for up here.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 11:14:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Thanks for your help NP. She really seemed to like the 3400, and since she played with it this is what I'm going to order.

Thanks again :)
View Quote

Anytime.  I'd recommend a copy of Understanding Exposure 4th Ed. $15 on Amazon it covers all the basics and is a great reference tool for photography.  If you have any questions, remember we do have a photography subforum here.  God knows a few of those guys could beat me to death with a book of the photo knowledge they have.  I'm all self taught.   Hell, the other night I was having a panic attack thinking I broke my camera because it was humming during a long night exposure.  Vibration reduction was off, so WTF?  Turns out I had left the autofocus switch barely barely on enough to power the autofocus motor but not have it search for focus lock.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 11:26:48 PM EDT
[#32]
What are you thinking of as 'entry level?' If you are interested in photography rather than 'picture taking', consider a DSLR. The advantage being that you can get lenses that can be used when you upgrade to a better body and eventually you will. LOL

Being able to changes lenses allows you to pursue many different types of photography, portraits, landscapes, pets, sports, indoor vs outdoor, wildlife etc. A compromise camera with only one lens, even with optical and digital zoom, is rarely ever the right lens and pretty much never the best lens.

You could start with an entry level DSLR like a Nikon D3000 series and use the same lenses when you upgrade to a better body like one in the D7000 series. You wouldn't need to be in a hurry to upgrade the body either. Lenses and technique make more of a difference than a level jump in body. A separate flash is a good think though. The Nikon SB 400 is a great flash and will do most of what you need to do. Getting the flash higher off the lens axis helps a lot also.

There is probably no need to have a full frame sensor camera unless you are doing Pro work and even then it would be a long time before you found the D7000 series to be limiting.

I am not a pro and have more camera than I can make the best use of. I have what I like, a Nikon D600 and a couple of lenses.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 5:34:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Both of them said to snag a UV filter (58mm fits it) as they are cheaper than scratched real lenses
View Quote

I used to be a believer in UV filters as "scratch guards" and now I've ditched all of mine.

Lens objectives are pretty dam tough, and the potential for image degradation with a filter outweighs any supposed protection ability.

Sure, there's times and places for UV filters, but just slapping one on there "becasue" is not, IMO, the best sue of camera money.

ND (neutral density) filters are used when there's too much ambient light for your shot;  the classic example is the "rushing water" effect you get with long exposures on creeks and rivers.  ND filters are used so the shot doesn't get overexposed.

Unitl you get pretty high on the learning curve your problem is ogin to be "not enough" light; not "too much" light.  Not saying they're not useful but I don't think they're beginner useful.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 6:05:39 PM EDT
[#34]
So for her birthday start buying primes. The 35mm 2.8 is nice and the 50 1.4 and the 85mm

The cameras are so good now it really comes down to useability rather than IQ. The old T2i could put out amazing stills and video. I like the pro or prosumer levels just because I dont have to go through a ton of trouble to change iso aperture etc. Give me a d5xxx or 3xxx and it gives me fits. 

I still shoot on my d7000 for some pro work. Prob should upgrade at some point but I have been doing less freelance in the past few years. I just end up renting what i need depending on the job. 
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 10:14:03 PM EDT
[#35]
So for her birthday start buying primes. The 35mm 2.8 is nice and the 50 1.4 and the 85mm
View Quote

The 35 1.8 is $200 brand new and maybe $125-$150 used.

It's a hell of a price for a hell of a lens.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top