Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/3/2003 5:12:04 AM EDT
I hope this wasn't posted earlier (I hate too look like the tool that posts something everyone else has already seen).

[url]http://africa.mit.edu/gun.wmv[/url]
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 5:59:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Yep, already seen it.

Cool video, but I guess the REAL sound of a minigun wasn't "cool" enough for Jesse, so they edited in a slower rate of fire.

Also liked the pyrotechnics planted on the car.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 6:31:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Wowsers!  

If I ever get a suburban, I want one of THOSE on top!!  

That guy probably hosed 10,000 rounds... that's more than I shoot in 5 years!!  YEESH!!

Link Posted: 7/3/2003 6:41:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Cool.  

Isnt that show made in california?  if so...how do they own mini-guns?
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 7:09:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I heard the the guy who own Dillion Precision owns that Suburban and minigun.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 7:13:41 AM EDT
[#5]
The 'burban w/minigun was called the Raptor. I heard they sold a few in Central and South America.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 7:55:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm curious, how much would it cost to aquire something like that? Just wondering, I'll probably show this vid to some cow-orkers, some anti-gun, I'm sure they think you can just walk into the local sporting goods store and buy something like this.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 7:59:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm curious, how much would it cost to aquire something like that? Just wondering, I'll probably show this vid to some cow-orkers, some anti-gun, I'm sure they think you can just walk into the local sporting goods store and buy something like this.
View Quote

Well, the Suburban would cost you around $40k, plus the mods for the roof hatch and MG mount.

Not toooo sure about the minigun, but it would probably run $20k or more.  

Link Posted: 7/3/2003 8:29:00 AM EDT
[#8]
One thing to keep in mind is that Mike Dillon's passion for miniguns caused him to redesign the M134 and now his company, Dillon aero, manufactures both new miniguns and retrofit kits for existing ones under a U.S. government contract.   The new version he's making is the M134D (D for Dillon!) and it has revitalized the minigun's service with our armed forces as the improvements Dillon engineered are substantial,  and best of all, can be retrofitted to the earlier models.   I've seen a number of miniguns in service and on display at recent airshows, and every one had the Dillon upgrades.

The noise of a minigun sounds less like shooting and more like a continuous roar and buzz.  Possibly it's less interesting a sound when played on the average TV's speakers, and that's why the sound was edited.

CJ

Link Posted: 7/3/2003 8:48:20 AM EDT
[#9]
[url]http://dillonaero.com/[/url]

That show was filmed in AZ>
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 8:49:35 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd settle for the money spent on ammo.  Were they using incendiary?  It looked like the rounds were flashing when they impacted.  I mean besides the neat little fireworks in the car.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 8:50:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, the Suburban would cost you around $40k, plus the mods for the roof hatch and MG mount.

Not toooo sure about the minigun, but it would probably run $20k or more.  

View Quote

I saw a GE minigun sold at a place called "Cadre Supply" used to be located at 51st & Memorial in Tulsa back around 1985. It sold to a cardiologist with a REAL Hum-V, Oklahoma license #HUMVEE, not one of these Yuppified H2's and the mini went for an even $40k (plus the $200 transfer license)The owner let me shoot 100 rounds through it, which went faster than I could touch the triggers and get my fingers off of them. They were .308 loads with WOODEN slugs (?)that evaporated as soon as they left the barrel. The they would take a strong magnet to pick up the links and then sweep up the brass with a broom and dustpan. I'll never forget getting to shoot that one piece as long as I live.[50]
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 10:21:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Uh, just in case you don't know,  having a real HMMWV isn't all that hard to manage.  A few years back, 770 of them were traded from the Marine Corps for some supplies by one of their contractors, and the contractor got the form 97's along with the vehicles, thereby making them very legal to sell to civilians.   A good friend of mine owns one of these ex-Marine Corps HMMWV's.  It's a hardtop with the slant back and ring mount, and was originally configured as a TOW missile carrier.   He's restoring it to that spec with non-functional, legal weapons.

There are a couple of real HMMWV's running around my area besides his.

CJ
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top