Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2003 1:46:43 PM EDT
We all get a bit carried away with our hobby right ? But at least there is a great deal of enjoyment and praticality to collecting firearms.

How the heck do you explain a totally useless hobby like this to someone ? Am I missing something, or is this a total waste of US greenbacks ???

[url]http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/07/02/popsci.stereo.kill/index.html[/url]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 1:49:26 PM EDT
[#1]
...I suck at golf and not a very good fly fisherman...I DO have a great beer label collection, though....and my wife just bought her second gun!!!
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 2:23:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Fuck'em! I'M the ones with the guns.

I in turn,ask why they spent 30,000$ on a bass boat.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 3:14:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 3:24:04 PM EDT
[#4]
If someone tells you that you spend too much money on guns....
View Quote
tell them to mind their own damn business!
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 3:29:25 PM EDT
[#5]
All my guns are worth more than I paid for them.
They are an investment as well as an obsession.
They can't say that about their bass boats or golf clubs, now, can they?
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 3:35:44 PM EDT
[#6]
To each his own. However, I am glad that my hobby is a practical one.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 3:42:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I spend too much on guns?  Too much compared with what?

This is why my wife doesn't give me (much) trouble about gun purchases...  they retain value...  are easily liquidatable, if an emergency arises, and they serve a purpose.

Heck, I could be spending money on alcohol, cigarettes, or dope...  my addiction is guns...
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 3:44:51 PM EDT
[#8]
"a totally useless hobby" What's useless about
something that you enjoy and gives you pleasure?
And how do they know how much you spend unless
you tell them? I normally neither invite nor
entertain questions about what my goodies cost.
If someone suggests I'm spending too much, I
usually suggest to them that they shouldn't
worry about it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 3:51:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd tell them to fuck off. Since you're asking....

Seriously, my collection is worth way more than I paid for it. I heard of a woman that collects toilet paper and guy who collected food.
I bet that TP is worth a bunch now.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 4:45:27 PM EDT
[#10]
[b]Troy Irving's 18-year-old Dodge Caravan has a heck of a sound system: 72 amplifiers -- you got it, 72 -- and 36 big 16-volt batteries to put out the 130,000 watts of power needed to rumble his nine 15-inch subwoofers. [/b]

dB drag racing
[whacko]

[b]That[/b] is [b]really[/b] a stupid waste of time and money.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:09:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
[b]Troy Irving's 18-year-old Dodge Caravan has a heck of a sound system: 72 amplifiers -- you got it, 72 -- and 36 big 16-volt batteries to put out the 130,000 watts of power needed to rumble his nine 15-inch subwoofers. [/b]

dB drag racing
[whacko]

[b]That[/b] is [b]really[/b] a stupid waste of time and money.

Maybe to us it is,but HE obviously is getting enjoyment out of it.More power (pun intended)to him.

Quoted:

All my guns are worth more than I paid for them.
They are an investment as well as an obsession.

For me as well.Well put Hannah.

They can't say that about their bass boats or golf clubs, now, can they?

For them,I'm sure those things are just as enjoyable to them as guns are for us.

I won't appoligize to ANYONE about my obsessions
as they don't interfere with ANYONE.

Fuck'em if they don't like what I do.MOLON LABE.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:31:14 PM EDT
[#12]
i usually do not tell anyone about my obsession.
most people dont understand,and they sure dont understand how i can spend so much money on guns.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:40:20 PM EDT
[#13]
[b]Maybe to us it is,but HE obviously is getting enjoyment out of it.More power (pun intended)to him.[/b]

Uh, no, [b]that[/b] is a really stupid waste of time and money.

There are other stupid ways to waste time and money, but [b]that[/b] is exceptional in it's stupidity.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:42:30 PM EDT
[#14]
I know many people who have invested thousands in bowling equipment over the years. I owned the bowling center and pro-shop they bought it in. [:D]

Hell at one time I owned over $3000.00 in bowling equipment. Of course I also spent many weekends competing in tournaments and such. I think it is much like any other "collection" or hobby, as long as it does not affect the important things like kids and family you should enjoy what ever you want and the hell with someone else. I'm sure they spend too much money on something.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:51:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
[b]Maybe to us it is,but HE obviously is getting enjoyment out of it.More power (pun intended)to him.[/b]

Uh, no, [b]that[/b] is a really stupid waste of time and money.

There are other stupid ways to waste time and money, but [b]that[/b] is exceptional in it's stupidity.

Hey I never said that I would spend MY money on something like that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top