Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2003 11:21:57 AM EDT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Letters to Congress

David Wayne Case Letter

DAVID W. CASE
Captain USMC, det.
1716 Clark Hills Circle
Johns Island, SC 29455
Tel: 843-559-5919
FX: 425-963-2010
E-mail [email protected]

DATE: 14 May 1999
TO: Rep. Henry Waxman
SUBJECT: .50 Caliber Rifles
CC: Rep. Mark Sanford, Rep. Robert Barr, Sen. Strom Thurmond, Sen. Ernest HollingsNUMBER OF PAGES: I (Including cover page)  
I have become aware of your furtive attempt to infringe upon my ownership of my Barrett rifle. I am a former Captain USMC, state marksmanship champion, NRA member, member of the Fifty Caliber Shooter's Association and an avid hunter of deer and hogs. To my knowledge, no .50 caliber rifle has ever been used in the commission of a crime. My rifle cost $6,750. The telescope on the rifle cost $4,500. The ammunition I most often shoot costs @ $4.00 per round. While I tell you this, understand that what I'm trying to tell you is that I would be an idiot to spend $11,000 on a rifle to risk losing it in the legal aftermath of its illegal use. Get the hell out of my personal life and go play kissy face with Diane Feinstein, Barney Frank, Charles Schumer and those other leftists.
I am now an investment banker and make $400,000 per year. I also have a Harley Davidson motorcycle and several cars with V-8 engines. Are you next going to tell me I don't NEED a V-8 engine ... don't NEED such a heavy, powerful motorcycle ... don't NEED a house with five bedrooms ... don't NEED a wife with such large breasts...don't NEED a dog with such sharp teeth and so on?
This kind of "Chicken Little" reactionary noise is entirely useless. I am going to notify every legislator in my food chain that they need to take you behind the Capital and beat the crap out of you.

CC: Sen. Trent Lott
Sen. Orrin Hatch
Sen. Susan Collins
David W. Case Citadel 1976 Captain USMC, Ret.

[url]http://www.barrettrifles.com/news.html[/url]

Link Posted: 7/2/2003 11:42:56 AM EDT
[#1]
That letter freakin rocks!
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 12:37:01 PM EDT
[#2]
While it's amusing, it's counter-productive as it just paints gun owners as violent and insulting, no matter what their pay scale is.

Very high school IMO, not what you'd expect from someone making 400k a year.

MHO
Alex
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 12:40:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Barrett's letter is absolutely amazing!

If California were to ban the sale of the Barrett .50 cal rifle we will stop the sale and service of all Barrett products to all State Law Enforcement agencies of the state of California immediately...
View Quote

If other firearms companies had half the size sack as Barrett did we'd be so better off.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 12:44:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
While it's amusing, it's counter-productive as it just paints gun owners as violent and insulting, no matter what their pay scale is.

Very high school IMO, not what you'd expect from someone making 400k a year.

MHO
Alex
View Quote

Alex,

I know where you're coming from, but you can't deny that, as a letter of opposition, it probably went into the trash anyway, and certainly won't make gun owners look any worse in the eyes of those who WANT to think of us as freaks.

I thought it treated them with the contempt they so richly deserve...
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 12:47:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I agree with you in principle, Zaphod.  Unfortunately, we're in a fight that includes public perception.  If gun owners are shown to be crude by their own hands, we're shooting in ourselves in the foot (figuratively).

I respect his right to make his opinion known as low brow as he wants to.  I even agree with him in what he said in his letter.  I just don't think it was the right thing at the right time.

JMHO [:)]
Alex
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 12:50:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Mr. Diaz’ comments have been detrimental to the reputation of Barrett Firearms. Many of our customers, vendors, families, and friends have read these headlines and now have a negative opinion of our company. Some of our subcontractors have now refused to supply us. This is bad for Barrett and bad for our country.
View Quote

I'm surprised he hasn't sued the scumbag for libel!

Or has he?
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 12:58:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I especially like the way he equates having a wife with big breasts to owning guns, cars, house, and motorcycles.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 1:30:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I wrote a letter to Barret praising Ronnie Barrett and the Barrett company.

They put me on the mailing list with any new political information over the Kali .50 ban.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 1:32:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I agree with you in principle, Zaphod.  Unfortunately, we're in a fight that includes public perception.  If gun owners are shown to be crude by their own hands, we're shooting in ourselves in the foot (figuratively).

I respect his right to make his opinion known as low brow as he wants to.  I even agree with him in what he said in his letter.  I just don't think it was the right thing at the right time.

JMHO [:)]
Alex
View Quote

Yeah, I think you're probably right. I figure it MIGHT have had a chance if it had been done differently.

I gotta agree, however, with your assertion that someone making $400K per annum should write better! [;)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top