Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2003 7:30:23 AM EDT
Picked the application up today. Couple of things bother me.

The app says: "ALL PERMITS ARE LAMINATED W/PHOTO LICENSE, COST $ 25.00."

(I hate all caps).

But:

TITLE 18

PA CRIMES CODES

§6109. Licenses.

(h) Fee.—The fee for a license to carry a firearm is $19. This includes a renewal notice processing fee of $1.50. This includes an administrative fee of $5 under section 14(2) of the act of July 6, 1984 (P.L. 614, No. 127), known as the Sheriff Fee Act. No fee other than that provided by this paragraph or the Sheriff Fee Act may be assessed by the sheriff for the performance of any background check made pursuant to this act. The fee is payable to the sheriff to whom the application is submitted and is payable at the time of application for the license. Except for the administrative fee of $5 under section 14(2) of the Sheriff Fee Act, all other fees shall be refunded if the application is denied but shall not be refunded if a license is issued and subsequently revoked. [i]A person who sells or attempts to sell a license to carry a firearm for a fee in excess of the amounts fixed under this subsection commits a summary offense[/i]. (Chgd. by L.1995, Act 66(4), eff 11/22/95.)
View Quote

The application also states that my two personally references must personally sign my application. I have copies of applications for other counties, and none of them require this. It's supposed to be a standardized form

(c) Form of application and content.—The application for a license to carry a firearm shall be uniform throughout this Commonwealth and shall be on a form prescribed by the Pennsylvania State Police. The form may contain provisions, not exceeding one page, to assure compliance with this section. Issuing authorities shall use only the application form prescribed by the Pennsylvania State Police.
View Quote

Now on most things I don't give a damn, but this is gun rights related. If they were requiring voter fees I'd be bitching too.

Should I shut up and take it, make some sort of stink, or when I go to pick up my license when it's all said and done, just drop a copy of the law on the person's desk?
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:36:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Some counties in Michigan tried the same crap several years ago.  Only lawsuits by our pro-rights MCRGO group stopped it.  Don't give in.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:43:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Should I shut up and take it, make some sort of stink, or when I go to pick up my license when it's all said and done, just drop a copy of the law on the person's desk?
View Quote

Have you asked them about it?
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:45:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Get your license first, then file a claim against the county. If the county refuses, refer the matter to the state Attourney General.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:50:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Get your license first, then file a claim against the county. If the county refuses, refer the matter to the state Attourney General.
View Quote

File a complaint the same day that you turn in the app. Than if you are turned down, you can really fuck with them. Thats what I'd do but i like to fuck with the system sometimes.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:23:39 AM EDT
[#5]
That's quite a markup on laminating.  [BD]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 3:12:31 PM EDT
[#6]
$6 for laminating.  Hmm I think I would rather pick and choose another battle instead of pissing them off.  

Requiring original signatures from references, that's pretty onerous too.  You weren't planning to sign yerself or copy their sigs from something were you?
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 4:30:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
$6 for laminating.  Hmm I think I would rather pick and choose another battle instead of pissing them off.  

Requiring original signatures from references, that's pretty onerous too.  You weren't planning to sign yerself or copy their sigs from something were you?
View Quote

On note B, no. I was planning on using people who happen to live several hours away from me 3 months out of the year.

On the first point, if I have to follow their laws to the absolute letter, I don't see why they shouldn't have to as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top