Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2003 6:25:24 AM EDT
JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (July 2) - An employee shot and killed three co-workers and wounded four others at a manufacturing plant on the capital city's outskirts, then drove downtown and killed himself during an exchange of gunfire with an officer near police headquarters, authorities said.

Two employees of Modine Manufacturing Co. died at the plant late Tuesday night; a third died later at a hospital, authorities said.

''He came in (the plant) and began firing,'' Capt. Jim Johnsen said. He said four others were wounded.

The injured were taken to hospitals in Jefferson City and Columbia, about 30 miles north; their conditions were not immediately available. Police Chief Roger Schroeder said victims were found throughout the building.

''We've got multiple crime scenes, large scenes, ... and it's going to take a while to sort out,'' Schroeder said.

The man was the only suspect in the plant shootings, Schroeder said.

''We're in the early stages of what is going to be a very complex situation,'' Schroeder said.

Johnsen said a witness called police about 10:20 p.m. with a description of the shooting suspect's white truck. An officer leaving the police building, about six blocks from the state Capitol building, noticed it in an alley and confronted the driver before the two exchanged gunfire, he said.

Johnsen said the suspect is a man in his 20s from nearby Holts Summit in central Missouri. His identity, as well as those of the victims, was not immediately released.

Officers guarded the outside of police headquarters early Monday, where the suspect's body was covered in a tarp about 30 feet from the front entrance.

Employees' relatives, who gathered outside the plant, said about 200 people work there. Linda Cade, whose husband Robert has worked there for 14 years, said he called at about 10:30 p.m. to say there had been a shooting and that he was OK.

''I'm shocked, scared that it could happen here and I'm just relieved that my husband is OK,'' Cade said.

After midnight, about 20 workers gathered in small groups outside the factory gate. One female worker hugged someone waiting outside, crying. One employee, who would not give a name, said the workers were told not to talk to reporters about what happened inside.

Racine, Wis.-based Modine Manufacturing Co. manufactures air and oil filters for a variety of engines, and has manufacturing plants all over the world.

Company spokesman Mick Lucareli said he had very few details.

''The loss of any life is terrible,'' Lucareli said from Racine. ''We just want to find out the details as soon as we can.''
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 6:29:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I hate stories like these, they just remind me that if some shit like this happened where i work there is nothing that can be done to stop the shooter since no firearms are allowed on company property and security don't carry. Damn psychos! they ruin shit for everyone else.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 6:50:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I saw this on "Today" and cnn.com. There was a very similar incident a few days ago in CA that I only saw because someone posted it here. The difference in CA is was a sword , this guy used a gun.

You think someone using a sword would be more unusual and would be the bigger story ?
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 6:52:09 AM EDT
[#3]
That's why we should all carry for personal protection. I would rather go down fighting if need be, than to just be a fish in a barrel for some evil nair do well.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:19:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That's why we should all carry for personal protection. I would rather go down fighting if need be, than to just be a fish in a barrel for some evil nair do well.
View Quote

No shit...unfortunately some employers slap the 30.06 sign on the door...
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:27:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

No shit...unfortunately some employers slap the 30.06 sign on the door...
View Quote

If the 30.06 is an ordinance...it is frigging ironic, don't you think?
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:28:44 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a XD-9 subcompact in my office desk.  2 extra XD-40 mags with 15 rounds of gold dots in each.  My dad has his HK USP 45, as does my brother, and the vice prez.

Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:37:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Perhaps I'm cold here, but I always look to see if an AK,AR,SKS,FAL,etc was used, so I can get ready for another round of debate.  Looks like no weapon was mentioned, so I bet it was a standard handgun.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:41:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:49:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 10:13:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 11:11:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Only good will come from this, like federal common sense and reasonable gun safety and law enforcement protection legislation.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 11:26:22 AM EDT
[#12]
That sort of hits close to home.  I lived in Columbia 5 years in College, often visited relatives in Jeff City and my ex-gf lived in Holts Summit!
Crazy.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 1:31:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 1:39:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I have noticed in most of these reports lately I don't see terms like "machine gun", "assault rifle", "automatic pistol", "sniper rifle" or any of the usual anti rhetoric.  Kinda reinforces the idea that the libs are shying away from gun-bashing.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:49:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have noticed in most of these reports lately I don't see terms like "machine gun", "assault rifle", "automatic pistol", "sniper rifle" or any of the usual anti rhetoric.  Kinda reinforces the idea that the libs are shying away from gun-bashing.
View Quote

Actually, I wish this was true...however, all morning on news breaks on the radio in this area they were refering to this as "sniper shootings"...

I don't mean any disrespect to any involved parties but as the facts have played out...come on, a "sniper shooting" with a handgun? Get real...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top