Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2003 5:26:36 AM EDT
I'm gonna be putting everything together next week and I'm looking at the cables now. I keep seeing the monster cables popping up. Are these worth a shit to use?
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:28:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes.

Monster Cable is a good bang for the buck choice.

You can spend $2,000 for a single set of cables, but it's diminishing returns after about $50 for a set.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:36:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, I don't really have to have the best, I just want some that aren't cheap pieces of trash.

It looks like I can get an installation set with a component video and all the speaker wire for about $100. Then with the other misc stuff it looks like I'll end up spending about $200.

Does this sound like a reasonable route?
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:38:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Gotta love those[:K]cables! They are really good.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:39:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Well, I don't really have to have the best, I just want some that aren't cheap pieces of trash.

It looks like I can get an installation set with a component video and all the speaker wire for about $100. Then with the other misc stuff it looks like I'll end up spending about $200.

Does this sound like a reasonable route?
View Quote

It really depends on the price of your system, but YES, that sounds like a pretty good way to go.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:33:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:53:47 AM EDT
[#6]
In general, you are wasting your money by spending good money on interconnects.  Just buy Radio Shack 75ohm coaxial cable and RCA connectors.  Cheap and just as good as monster cable, without the huge price.  Put the money you saved into better equipment.

The only time you may notice the difference is with thin speaker wire and extremely long runs.  Just decently thick stuff like 16 gauge.  If the speaker wire run is quite long go with 12 gauge.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:00:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:02:04 AM EDT
[#8]
I went monster. I figured if I spent all that cash on the system I wasnt going to cheap out on the cables. It cost me about a cnote for component video and RCA between all the bits.
Of course, I just used the cheap speaker cable that came with it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:03:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Monster. Hands down. Don't know about $2000 for a single set, but $200 is realistic for SOME sets.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:06:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Cheap cables = cheap shit connectors.

Even is you don't notice a difference in sound or picture, you would notice a difference in plugging and unplugging
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 3:43:58 AM EDT
[#11]
i buy my speaker cable at Home Depot. its .12c a foot and its identical to Monster cable. however i did shell out for a Monster sub cable and. i use RCA gold for my component connections.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 4:02:20 AM EDT
[#12]
For speakers, 12gauge lamp wire or low voltage outdoor wire from Home Depot works well.

For RCA interconnects, I use:

[url]http://www.bluejeanscable.com/[/url]

Also, check out:

[url]http://www.bus.ucf.edu/cwhite/theater/diycable.htm[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top