Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/1/2003 8:04:21 PM EDT
[rant on]What a waste of 3 hours...and the film it was made on. I still do not get this ridiculous, torrid story. De Caprio is a wuss...and could'nt act to save his life. I waited for 3 hours for the movie to "kick" in. It did'nt.

Sucked.

[/rant off]

What is going on with Hollywood?
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 8:17:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I liked it. It was great seeing the early history of Manhattan. Cameron & Leonardo were weak, but the rest of the cast was awesome, including Gleason, Neeson & Reilly.

Interesting to note that the anti-immigrant feelings have been going on for years.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:05:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Lets not forget the executive order empowering the draft and the most important part of the whole film,
President Lincoln turned armed troops loose on citizens of the United States of America.

"Lincoln deployed combat troops from the Federal Army of the Potomac to restore order; they remained encamped around the city for several weeks."
[url]http://www.civilwarhome.com/draftriots.htm[/url]

And ,
"The passage of the Conscription Act in April of 1863 by Congress"
[url]http://members.tripod.com/~Chesnutmorgan/draft.html[/url]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:45:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Aside from the historical significance..the movie plot was too dark and mysterious. It sucked. You did'nt see Mel screw up the Patriot? Hell no...hollywood pining Leoretardo to act. He sucks...the movie sucked. I waited for some similance of attention-getting plot..nope. Stupid, hollyhock melodrama for Gen-xers.

It was just poorly playwritten and directed.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:58:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
He sucks...the movie sucked. I waited for some similance of attention-getting plot..nope. Stupid, hollyhock melodrama for Gen-xers.

It was just poorly playwritten and directed.
View Quote

Was the popcorn any good?
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 10:19:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
[rant on]...De Caprio is a wuss...[/rant off]

View Quote

That's like saying the sky's blue, and water is wet.  
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 10:30:25 PM EDT
[#6]
When the previews suck you know the movie is in trouble.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 10:32:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I heard the fags loved this movie. I hated it.    [}:D]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 10:54:42 PM EDT
[#8]
What gun did Al Pacino use in "Gangs of New York"?
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 12:57:40 AM EDT
[#9]
I saw it in the theaters with 3 girls, Guess what I was the only one who thought it sucked, so boring
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 2:56:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 3:13:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 3:20:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I heard the fags loved this movie. I hated it.    [}:D]
View Quote

{ROFL}[b] Tell us how you REALLY feel.[rofl2][/b]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 3:23:18 AM EDT
[#13]
I saw it at the theater, & was very disappointed. It was 3 hours of my life that would have been better used sleeping, or anything but watching the movie. I love history, & was really looking forward to it. It was a major letdown. I really had to work to stay awake to see the whole thing. I probably will never purposefully watch the thing again.
Then the next sorry movie I went to expecting to enjoy was the history great "The life of Stonewall Jackson" or "Gods & Generals" What another waste of a few hours.
I can watch the history channel all day, but please don't make me watch those 2 movies ever again.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 3:35:25 AM EDT
[#14]
I liked Bill the Butcher.  He had the same attitudes towards immigrants I have.

Totally ridiculous to see Leonardo DiCaprio playing a tough guy.  I think he is a great and talented actor, but he is not a tough guy.

It's an ok movie. Not bad, but definitely not good.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 3:59:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Post from jrzy -
President Lincoln turned armed troops loose on citizens of the United States of America.
View Quote

Yeah, and then later the Radical Republican Congress turned armed troops loose on the Old South and began an armed occupation that lasted until 1877 in some states!

See? Once you get used to the idea that armed troops [u]are[/u] an appropriate tool to use to control your own citizens, it gets easier and easier to use that tool.

Eric The(Heh-Heh,ISaid'Tool')Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 9:03:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 9:18:32 AM EDT
[#17]
I thought it was mildly entertaining.  Probably won't watch it again, but I felt as if I got my money's worth.

On the other hand, I was repulsed by the major ANTI-AMERICA mood that the movie presented.  Maybe I'm just paranoid of Hollywood, but it seemed a little too preachy and full of 'America is evil' propaganda for my tastes.

One could argue about the historical accuracy of the events, however, the whole evil villain w/ the US flag draped over his shoulders and Bald Eagle fake eye REALLY stank of propaganda too me.  They tried to make the character look so evil, but at the same time so patriotic (in his own mind) that I couldn't help but feel that they view us (gunowners who love our country) in the exact same light.

But then again, maybe I'm just analyzing it too much...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top