Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/1/2003 6:13:05 PM EDT
As promised...the pics are trickling in...stories to come later...
[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/050256.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/050259.jpg[/img]
Shown with an API projectile, for scale.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 6:21:44 PM EDT
[#1]
The projectile is a tungsten-carbide steel alloy- .30 caliber, saboted inside a plastic sleeve.  Fired from the M2 "Ma Duece," this round will penetrate 4" of armor plate.

When loading the rounds, the ammo feels as heavy (or heavier) than 'normal' API or APIT.  This is because while the projectile itself is smaller, it is much more dense than lead.  

These rounds kicked ass against armored APC's, light armored vehicles, targets in thick cover, and targets inside of buildings.  

Link Posted: 7/1/2003 6:24:55 PM EDT
[#2]
sounds like fun [}:D]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 6:25:55 PM EDT
[#3]
That looks devistating!
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 6:28:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 6:32:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Can those be used in rifles w/ muzzle brakes like a Barrett?
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 6:37:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I have always heard that .50 sabots and muzzlebrakes are no-no's but I would rather hear it from someone who has first hand knowledge.  

Who can we find to test it ?

LB
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 6:45:49 PM EDT
[#7]
 I don't know of any snipers that used this rd, but I can't see why it would hurt- the sabo doesn't actually fly off until a few feet after leaving the bbl.  I would think that a properly aligned and bored brake would not screw anything up.  

For testing, I'm not sure- we had to tickle some nuts to even get these babies for combat use.  99.99% sure that you'll never even see them for military training, let alone for public consumption.  

Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:00:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Methinks some rifle manufactuers have opened up the hole in the muzzle break for this round.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:02:52 PM EDT
[#9]
red x's?
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:03:09 PM EDT
[#10]
What kind of velocities are we talking about w/ this round?
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:04:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
red x's?
View Quote

YUP!
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:17:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (61)
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:34:43 PM EDT
[#13]
SLAP rounds are pretty easy to find. They usually run around $10-$15. Most rifles won't chamber a SLAP round because the sabot gets into the lands. Even the Barrett 82's had to be barreled for them for the military. The AR50 will chamber the round because of its deep throat but Armalite specifically says don't do it in the manual.  
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 8:39:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Of all the damn places, they have a good writeup.

http://www.vpc.org/studies/duckone.htm
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 8:51:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The AR50 will chamber the round because of its deep throat  
View Quote

He said "deep throat." Yeah, I'm a bored perv...

BTW, Dead link given by Chaingun- It's just as well.  I wouldn't believe shit that the VPC spews anyway- they couldn't pour shit out of a boot if the instructions were written on the heel.

Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:06:41 PM EDT
[#16]
If shot out of Barretts M82's the sabots explode in the muzzlebrake and shower down on the shooter.

Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:32:48 PM EDT
[#17]
SALP & RAUFOSS .50 BMG AMMUNITION:
[b][size=5]For professional use only![/size=5][/b]

Please see [url]http://www.biggerhammer.net[/url]

This ammo will mess up non-spec'd rifles.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:56:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Raufoss means justice and liberty.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 4:40:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Sounds awesome, but I don't think my pockets could support $12-$15 a pop.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:09:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Armor piercing cop-killer rounds?????

BAN THEM FOR THE CHILDREN!!!!
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:14:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

When loading the rounds, the ammo feels as heavy (or heavier) than 'normal' API or APIT.  This is because while the projectile itself is smaller, it is much more dense than lead.  

View Quote

I'm pretty sure that the projectile is lighter than that of a normal .50 round. That is how you get the higher velocities (~4000fps IIRC) out of the cartridge.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:25:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The projectile is a tungsten-carbide steel alloy- .30 caliber, saboted inside a plastic sleeve.  Fired from the M2 "Ma Duece," this round will penetrate 4" of armor plate.

These rounds kicked ass against armored APC's, light armored vehicles, targets in thick cover, and targets inside of buildings.  

View Quote

So....when can we find out what it'll do to a ricer's engine block?
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:26:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

So....when can we find out what it'll do to a ricer's engine block?
View Quote

Well, I'll tell you- it's 1000% overkill.  Normal 7.62 ball from a 240 will tear ass into a little toyo with a mg mounted in the bed and umpteen iraqi's in the back/on top/in the cab.  

.50 cal API absolutely destroys the damn thing- goes right through and leaves some wicked holes.  .50 cal SLAP was a waste of ammo, too beucoo, too beucoo! (sp)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top