Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2003 3:27:51 PM EDT
God forbid, but let's say for the sake of discussion that a soldier is held captive and their captors are going to torture him/her in order to gain information.

What says the military law about this? I'm not talking about moral or ethics,  I'm talking about if there's any regulation to rule that screwed up scenario.

NsB
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 3:35:51 PM EDT
[#1]
name, rank, serial number.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 3:37:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Would you really hold it against someone who broke under torture?
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 3:44:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

I know, that's the only thing they can get from you according to the Geneva Convention, but are there any military law agains saying more if tortured for more?

NsB
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 3:48:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Anything more would probably be considered treason and you would be court marshalled.  In most cases, our government wouldn't find out unless the soldier told them.  In all the movies I've seen where people are being tortured, why not just feed them misinformation?  I would tell them some bullshit stuff that I made up but sounds logical.  Keep the enemy occupied and buy you some time to plan an escape.

"...I will continue to resist by any means necessary..."
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 3:53:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Q:blahblahblahblah

A:silence

Q:blahblahBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAH

ATROCITY

Any questions?
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 3:55:34 PM EDT
[#6]
The Code of Conduct is a goal for POW'S to reach for, it's a standard which is there for them to reach for and hopfully come out the other end with their dignity in tack.  As for someone folding under torture, no one has the right to judge a person unless they themselves have been there.  Every one is brave behind a keyboard.  
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 3:55:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Read "In The Company of Heroes" by Mike Durant, the blackhawk pilot who was captured during Somolia and you'll get an insight into these questions.

If you ever get the opportunity to meet him in person he is a great guy and gives some enlightening speeches on mind set, survival, etc.

There were needless deaths during Vietnam due to Name Rank and Serial Number......
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 3:57:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Anything more would probably be considered treason and you would be court marshalled.  
View Quote

First off, it's court-MARTIAL, not marshall.
Second, you're wrong.  The military expects its troops to resist as best they can, but they do not court-martial them for breaking.  As long as you resist to the best of your ability, you've done good.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 4:12:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I knew that didn't look right when I typed it out.[BD]

Secondly, thanks RikWriter, I was going on assumptions and not facts.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 4:13:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I know, that's the only thing they can get from you according to the Geneva Convention, but are there any military law agains saying more if tortured for more?

NsB
View Quote

[b]Article V

When questioned, should I become a prisoner of war, I am required to give name, rank, service number, and date of birth. I will evade answering further questions to the utmost of my ability. I will make no oral or written statements disloyal to my country and its allies or harmful to their cause.[/b]

Notice it says "to the utmost of my ability".  Everyone will eventually break given enough torture, but the key is to bounce back and begin resisting again.  In addition, it's incumbent upon fellow prisoners to not cast aside someone who has been broken.  In Vietnam and Korea, those were the ones who eventually became collaborators...
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 4:22:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanx for the answers!

NsB
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 4:28:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Everybody talks, some talk sooner than others, but make no mistake, every single person will talk.

If you have no info, give them whatever they want.  Tell them your life story.

You will talk.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 4:33:38 PM EDT
[#13]
We were told to hold out as long as possible, then lie like crazy.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 4:35:12 PM EDT
[#14]
There is a document in Hanoi that has the signature of an American pilot on a confession to committing war crimes against the North Vietnamese.  

The signature is that of Senator John McCain.

If you're under torture - you will break at some point.  The military expects you to resist to the best of your ability but the military also understands that there are limits to human endurance.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 4:38:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Read "In The Company of Heroes" by Mike Durant, the blackhawk pilot who was captured during Somolia and you'll get an insight into these questions.

If you ever get the opportunity to meet him in person he is a great guy and gives some enlightening speeches on mind set, survival, etc.

[red]There were needless deaths during Vietnam due to Name Rank and Serial Number[/red]......
View Quote

I'd like to associate myself with the above remarks, and add, I believe the Military has changed it's policies to reflect the FACT that a VERY high % are going to break. 'course, it also depends, on WHO you are...[;)]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 4:46:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 4:59:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks blatherman for posting Article V of the Code of Conduct.

That's the standard to strive for. You do your best.

[usa] to all POWs
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 5:03:01 PM EDT
[#18]
They would have you singing like a bird. If you told them the truth they wouldn beleive you anyway. With a cigarette and your ear drum, I could make you say anything.
GG
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top