Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/1/2003 2:59:08 PM EDT
In a three second clip of Strom Thurmond's funeral, it showed [b]a black man dressed in a Confederate Uniform carrying the Confederate Battle Flag in front of the caisson![/b]

Sonuvabeitch! I wonder how many liberals saw that too!
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 3:14:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Yea thats right. The flag is not about slaves.

I bet that was a lot for them to swallow.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 3:18:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I SAW IT TOO!  i looked at the wife and we both said said look at that!  it'll be the last time you see it, i'll bet [;)].  i have seen other stuff that slips by and it gets edited quickly. another thing i noticed while on vacation - we visited an a.m.e. zion church in beaufort on the old homes tour.  its the oldest church building in the town.  they were a mixed congregation until AFTER the war between the states.  my home church in fayetteville was the same way.  it appears that reconstruction and affirmative action (the reconstruction of the modern day) have a more negative effect on race relations than any good that can be dug up by statisticians.  
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 3:20:44 PM EDT
[#3]
It's amazing how many ignorant people think the civil war was about freeing the slaves.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 3:24:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It's amazing how many ignorant people think the civil war was about freeing the slaves.
View Quote

Don't you mean "The War of Northern Aggression"?  That nasty conflict over the rights of states?

Seems like we saw vestiges of that in 2000 with the Presidential election.  

Link Posted: 7/1/2003 3:25:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Reminds me of that Dave Chappell skit with him as a blind white supremacist leader.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 3:28:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Unfriggen believable. I'm glad somebody else saw it too.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 3:38:37 PM EDT
[#7]
hopefully someone will produce a screen capture, or a photo from the event
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 4:01:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Abe Lincoln was a civil rights champion and fought for the black man and freed the slaves and that man at Thurmond's funeral was very confused.  [/bs]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 4:10:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Maybe you could edit the title of the post, with strom's name, so folks know what you're talking about. You'd get more comments.

I saw a couple of clips, but was surprised, the whole thing wasn't televised?? I mean, this guy was high enough profile, from "the greatest generation", and no one broadcasts the whole Funeral Service, and burial??

Anyone know if cspan covered it??
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 4:42:32 PM EDT
[#10]
[img]http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20030701/i/1057072489.3758121008.jpg[/img]

Wearing a Confederate uniform and the Stars and Bars of the Confederacy, H.K. Edgerton of Ashville, North Carolina stands beside a statue of former Sen. Strom Thurmond (news, bio, voting record) outside the state house in Columbia, South Carolina July 1, 2003. Thurmond died June 26, 2003 at age 100 and served 48 years in the United States Senate, the longest serving senator in the nation's history. He will be buried in his hometown of Edgefield, South Carolina. REUTERS/Ellen Ozier REUTERS

[url]http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/030701/170/4k1nx.html[/url]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 4:43:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
hopefully someone will produce a screen capture, or a photo from the event
View Quote

You mean like this?

[img]http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20030701/i/1057072647.3691061299.jpg[/img]

H.K. Edgerton of Ashville, North Carolina, holds a confederate flag as the caisson holding the casket of former United States Senator Strom Thurmond arrives at Willowbrook cemetary in his hometown of Edgefield, South Carolina, July 1, 2003. Thurmond who was the nation's longest serving U.S. senator died on June 26, 2003 at the age of 100 years old. REUTERS/Tami Chappell
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 4:47:05 PM EDT
[#12]
If that was HK he's from my neck of woods and a stand up guy.

He's taken some serious crap for being a black supporter of the flag.

You guys would like him.

CRC
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 4:55:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Maybe you could edit the title of the post, with strom's name, so folks know what you're talking about. You'd get more comments.

I saw a couple of clips, but was surprised, the whole thing wasn't televised?? I mean, this guy was high enough profile, from "the greatest generation", and no one broadcasts the whole Funeral Service, and burial??

View Quote

Done.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 5:07:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Done.
View Quote

Heh, heh. This baby will get some response now...[;)]

CRC, who IS this guy. Looks like a grey beard. Any info/websites on him??? You are in NC??

(I can just hear the "Uncle Tom" moaners now..)
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 5:15:35 PM EDT
[#15]
A little surpprising.

When Mississippi was going through some controversy about their flag ( blacks were saying because it had the battle flag in it, it was racist) a group of blacks that forfathers fought for the south went to the capital,Jackson, and with battle flags in hand protested in favor of having the battle flag as a part of Mississippi's state flag.

A FEW black people in this country are not brain washed.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 5:26:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top