Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/1/2003 1:56:19 PM EDT
For all those Master Steak guys out there.What is ur favorite Homemade Steak Rubs?

Edit to add:For grilling

Thnx
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 2:06:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I like to soak mine with some Italian seasoning and a little Lea&Perrins sauce(for at least 30 minutes).
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 2:11:51 PM EDT
[#2]
kosher salt and fresh pepper for me.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 2:46:45 PM EDT
[#3]
maggi seasoning(soy sauce but not like the stuff you find in regular stores, look at asian market)

and

montreal steak seaoning with a dash of garlic salt.

rub in the maggi, then sprinkle with montreal and itty bitty ammount of garlic salt... direct heat and some mesquite chips on the bbq...MMMM
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 2:53:32 PM EDT
[#4]
A truly good steak won't need too much seasoning.  Tactical Jew has it pretty much nailed: Kosher salt & fresh black pepper.

Another thing I do once in a while is to pierce the steak all over with a fork and rub it down with olive oil.  Then dust the top with some Johnny's Seasoning salt, fresh ground black pepper, and some cayanne pepper.  Let it sit for about 15 minutes, then flip the steak over and do the same to the other side.

If you don't cook your steaks rare, cook them just a little rarer than you usually like them.  You might be suprised.  If you thought that was good, undercook it another degree (keep this up until you're cooking them rare)!
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 3:02:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Montreal Steak Seasoning from Schilling is a pretty good rub.

Mostly pepper
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 3:04:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If you don't cook your steaks rare, cook them just a little rarer than you usually like them.  You might be suprised.  If you thought that was good, undercook it another degree (keep this up until you're cooking them rare)!
View Quote

I tried that this weekend and had one of the best steaks I've had in awhile. Will revisit this issue over the 4th Holiday. Using more thoughts from this thread.

Happy Holiday!!!

MM419
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 3:05:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Emeril's Essence:

2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme

Combine all ingredients thoroughly.  Use a small amount as a rub on both sides of the steak.  Save the rest for other uses.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 3:10:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Salt,

Pepper,

Garlic powder.

Light pink.

Looking good!!
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 3:22:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Lawry's Havana Garlic and Lime.
Seared on both sides, just barely warm in the middle.
The best way to ruin meat is to cook it...

too much.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 3:28:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Olive oil
chili powder
cracked black pepper
garlic powder
salt

Cover with sauteed mushrooms,onions,garlic and sweet bell peppers[:P]

Damn. I'm hungry now[:D]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 3:34:42 PM EDT
[#11]
If it is a good piece of meat...nothin', the rest is damage control.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 3:39:02 PM EDT
[#12]
salt
pepper
garlic powder
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 3:55:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Penzey's English Prime Rib Rub....YUM!!!
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 3:56:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I suppose that it is too much to hope that you dam yankees have heard about "Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasonimg"?
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 4:58:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Dales
-or-
salt and pepper
-or-
Balsmic vinigat, soy sauce, worshoweveryoufuckingspellit sauce, garlic, olive oil, sugar
-or-
olice oil and garlic

depends on the meat and the quality for which I'll use.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 5:09:54 PM EDT
[#16]
AcidGambit said:
worshoweveryoufuckingspellit sauce
View Quote

LMAO
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 5:35:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I suppose that it is too much to hope that you dam yankees have heard about "Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasonimg"?
View Quote

I use it on just about all meat.  Definitely all the steaks I cook.

Dale's Seasoning & Italian dressing marinade for 30min.
after, sprinkle Tony Cachere's Original Creole Seasoning lightly on each side, sear on a hot grill & cook to rare-med.rare.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 3:22:49 AM EDT
[#18]
While I would agree that a simple seasoning of kosher salt and freshly ground pepper is the way to go for good cuts of beef, you might try McCormicks Broiled Steak Seasoning Salt which can be found in about any market. It's cheap and it's good! Just sprinkle it on and grill over a hot fire to very rare (cool in the center). I also use it on chicken, hamburgers and it's fine for seasoning potatoes, corn-on-the-cob and other vegetables.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 3:37:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Tactical Jew has it.
Salt and pepper is all that is needed for a good steak.  Substitute garlic salt occasionally.
Salt and pepper steak on both sides, let steak reach room temperature (about 15 to 20 minutes out of the refrigerator) drop on medium grill.  Cook to desired doneness (not past medium well).
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 3:41:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

let me refer you to... [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=187217&page=1[/url]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 4:05:58 AM EDT
[#21]
depends on the cut/quality

sometimes just salt/pepper
sometimes Montreal Steal rub
sometimes my special sauce...no wait....
sometimes peteys seasoning from Roberts, WI http://www.1greatvalue4u.com/peteys.htm (much better than Lowrys salt lick crap) no, I dont know him-just tried his spice at a parade once.
even tried soy sauce- little too asian tasting for me
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:28:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Worchesteshire sauce
teriaki sauce
small amount of soy sauce
and of course your fav brewsky!

Let it sit for about ahalf hour in the fridge,turn them over for another half hour and start cooking. We just love this stuff as nothing else is needed as sauces goes and they are as juicy and tender as can be.

Damn, I am making myself hungry. Where did I put that lighter....hmmmmmmmm.....
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:32:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Been using that for years. (They sell it in supermarkets here) [BD]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:37:54 AM EDT
[#24]
A fraternity brother worked at the Outback Steakhouse in Columbia and he'd bring over the proprietary steak seasoning every once in awhile....I've got to say it's the best!
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 2:47:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Some of the McCormicks rubs have MSG in them, I would read the label.. You can make the same stuff by just reading the label and leave the not so good stuff out.

I like Outback, I wish I knew what they used..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top