Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/1/2003 9:27:18 AM EDT
I currently have a 36" Sony XBR400, which is dead and unusable.  I've been screwing around having it fixed ever since I bought the POS 3 years ago - had a Sony tech out to my house 3 times and spent about $500 on repairs.  Needless to say, I don't have a high opinion of Sony right now and I'm not putting any more $$ into that set.  

Can any one offer some suggestions as to a good TV on the market right now.  I was hoping to get something less than $2,000 (at least 36", HDTV compatible).  I don't want to go out and get another hunk of junk.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 10:13:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Right now, the most bang for your buck is a RPTV.  You can get a 50-inch one for around $2000.  I like Sony, but if you're put off by the brand because of your bad experience with your current TV, try Hitachi, Mistubishi or Samsung.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 10:23:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Biggest bang for the buck: FPTV.

Panasonic L300U - Screen up to 300" - $1,799
Sony HS10 - Screen up to 300" and 1x1 pixel mapping for PC use - $2,499.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 10:36:52 AM EDT
[#3]
i like my toshiba 42 inch RPTV they sell now for about $1400 and once calibrated look fantastic even in well lit situations (which most inexpensive FPTV's will not) spousal concerns on size are the only real drawback. thats why id go for something in the 42-50 inch range, they are slim in profile and still give you the "big screen" feel.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 10:37:29 AM EDT
[#4]
btw, what is the exact problem with the sony set?
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 10:43:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Avoid Samsung. I'm using my second Sony. I love their products despite your having problems with them.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 10:49:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I've had problems twice in the past with the screen bleeding to a reddish tint and then automatically shutting the TV off.  The first time (under parts warranty) the Sony tech put in a new picture tube.  About a year later - same problem.  The tech couldn't find anything wrong.  It seemed to correct itself and the tech only re-soldered some connections to make sure that wasn't a problem.  It worked for about 4 months and now I have sound but no picture.  I've had it with this damn TV!  You think if you pay $2,400 for a TV, it should last longer than 3 years.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:06:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Toshiba or magnavox.  That is al I buy and have been extremely happy with all of them.  (I have 4 tv's in the house and one in the truck.  Each has a vcr.  DVD is tied to each.  Combo DVD/VCR for the one in the truck.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top