Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2003 9:10:02 AM EDT
When I purchase a firearm why does my gun check always delay and take the full 3 days. This has really turned into a pain in the ass. How can I find out what the problem is?
Marine Corps rifle and pistol range coach 83-86!
Never convicted or arrested on anything!
Is there someone I can call about this?

Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:19:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I work in a shop in Maryland.
I take it you are getting delayed on the 4473 Fed Form. There could be several reasons for this: the most common is if you have a top secret clearance - they have to push it up the ladder until someone has a higher clearance to check you out. The other one we've had is if your name is the same as someone who has committed a felony. I will check tonight to see if there is a number that you could call to find out.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:22:35 AM EDT
[#2]
bought one lower- took 4 hours...bought another took 4 minutes.  dunno....
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:29:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Geeezzzeee..... I must be doin' good, longest wait from when they pick up the phone to call has been about 2 min. Now on the other hand, my buddy has a common last name and is a 30 min wait every time.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:32:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Got a common name?  I have a fairly common name, and ALWAYS got delayed.  Usually a couple hours up to one day.  Picked up a rifle I'd ordered at a local shop, and bet the guy I'd get delayed.  I'da won if the feds didn't change up the process.  Got the proceed after a few minutes.  

Now, when I get a CHL, they won't even have to call. [;)]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:35:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I have not looked but can you get a CCW from your state. All of the states that I have lived in will wave at you as you leave the store, the longest part is filling out the form. CCw's will at least get you past the phone calls.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:38:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Do you have a common hispanic last name? Those always cause delays.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:40:21 AM EDT
[#7]
I've met people with my exact same name in before, its fairly common, and my checks are always instant(i.e. don't take longer than the time for the dealer to read out the info on the form).

Do you people not give your SSN due to the whole tinfoil hat thing(THEY ARE THE FBI AND CAN GET IT IF THEY WANTED IT!!!), or are your twin brothers serial killers?

Of course for ARs and non-C&R handguns it takes 8 days due to the waiting period for me.[:(]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:42:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Couple months ago the BATF was in and stated that if your CCW is good for more that one year the shop is required to call in for the NICS.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:48:27 AM EDT
[#9]
I used to get delayed for at least several hours, sometimes the full three days.  THe dealers attributed it to the fact that I was born in Canada.

Oh, the shame....
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 10:06:12 AM EDT
[#10]
You think thats bad, it took my 5 days to get cleared for a god dam muzzleloader in IL.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 10:51:06 AM EDT
[#11]
I saw a guy with a CCL get denied last gun show. Explain that one to me?

FWIW, I always use my CCL as ID instead of my DL. What pisses me off is the 4473 uses your SSN but then they "confuse" you with someone else. Explain that one to me too.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:27:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Hell I have a CCW and I'm always delayed 3-4 hours.

Seems that I purchesed a few guns (Legally) from a dealer the had "SPECIAL" treatment customers...He got busted and may be out of Club Fed by now but I'm still FLAGGED!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top