Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/1/2003 8:01:52 AM EDT

I've got another birthday around the corner (38)
and I've started to look back on life.  Not too many regrets but I've got this recent thing that keeps haunting me. Two Years ago I was invited to be a contestant on "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire"  This was back when it was still fairly popular and Regis was the host.

My wife and I flew to Manhattan and stayed in a nice hotel.  Having been a trivia buff for awhile I thought I was a shoo-in for the hot seat and a chance for big money. To make a long story short game day arrives and I blew it in the "fastest finger" competition.  What's worse, there was even a back to back "fastest finger" where nobody got the sequence right.  I could have taken my time and strolled into the hot seat. What really kills me is that I knew the answers to the questions that were being asked to the eventual hot seat contestants.

If my wife was disappointed she hid it well but I felt bad about all the crap I promised to get her. [banghead]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 8:09:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Getting married - twice.  Learned a lot but I wish I had never done it.  Both women had a different view on marriage "it's just a peice of paper" and both thought the grass was greener on the other side.  I guess I just can't pick the right ones.  Going through the process right now (tougher with kids) looks like it could get ugly even though I have the upper hand.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 8:13:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Kind of shallow & embarrassing, but my biggest regret in life is passing up all the wimmins I could of had before I got married.

I tended bar for almost 7 years. When I think of all the waitresses & customers that I should of & could of hit, it almost brings tears to my eyes.

Damn morals [:(!]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 8:20:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 8:22:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Oh, this is easy.

I didn't stay at my college of choice, because I was so worried/guilty about how much it cost.  I left the school the mminute my parents complained about the expense. Then I turned around and watch my dad, who I was so worried about burdening with the costs of private college, pay for the tuition of 3 other kids.  While I had to go to the shitty local college, which I paid for, and where I was miserable.

I dont regret anything more than leaving that place.  Dont ever give up on your dreams, or comprimise what is most important to you.  Never, never, never, never.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 8:24:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 8:32:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 8:32:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Not joining the military.My biggest regret in life bar none.

I kick myself each time I see them boys over in Iraq. I feel ashamed at times not being able to participate in some way. The NG won't even take me due to a back injury and subsequent surgery.

As for jobs, women and college: I have a good wife,kids, business and went back to college at age 32.I planned accordingly and my planning has allowed me to operate at my own pace and not the mans.

There is that tommy-gun I could've had for 800 bks I passed up in '99...
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 8:51:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 8:54:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Not treating my wife like the royalty she is.
[v]
Scott
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 8:56:13 AM EDT
[#10]
No bout-a-doubt-it, my first marriage.  Second wife and I were married 24 years on June 23rd.  Not saying it was always peaches and cream but it has been one hell of a ride.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:01:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Not buying AOL as an IPO, then selling it in 1999.

I was a pre-WWW internet user who disdained the AOL approach.  Should have took my holier-than-thou head out of my ass and seen what was coming.  Computers as appliances? Never!

Hindsight...

Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:08:45 AM EDT
[#12]
With apologies to my darling wife, if she reads this...[;)]

I should have nailed my ex-girlfriend one more time when I had the chance.....but Nooooooooo...I had to be a grownup!
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:28:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Leaving the City of Miami Police Dept 15 years ago, I thought the grass greener elsewhere. I would have been retired and set for life with the pension system they offerd back than.

Now I am FUCKED!

I got a great easy profession, but I see myself working..let's say until I am 80 or so..
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:31:14 AM EDT
[#14]
I thought about this and really couldn't come up with anything I'd call a major regret.  That by no means implies that I've been perfect or my life has been non-stop wonderfullness.  I've made mistakes and done things I'm not proud of.  However, the experience I gained helped me grow into a better person, IMHO.  
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:38:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Not joining the military and becoming a fighter/bomber pilot.

Was to busy smoking joints, drinking and chasing skirt.

What a waste of time!
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:50:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Not joining the Marines right out of high school...  a bunch of buddies of mine joined 3 months after we graduated school in 1985.  I let community college get in the way of that.  I never did join any military service, and that I regret to this day.

An ongoing thing I fight with daily...  like Scottman, I do not always treat my wife with the sincere respect and gratitude that is due her.  She is the mother of my children and the love of my life, and I let the troubles of the day get in the way of that.

Carpe Diem.

Link Posted: 7/1/2003 10:09:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Not joining the Spanish military when I was 18...

NsB
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 10:10:36 AM EDT
[#18]
My only regret in life was turning down an invite to Annapolis. My life would sure be different now if I had so in retrospect no great regrets.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 10:22:50 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm only 21.. so I haven't been around long enough to have many big regrets.

But... I would say more than anything, after high school I regret trying to steer my life in a direction that made my parents happy instead of doing something that I was happy with.

If I had it all to do over again, I would have joined the Army after high school instead of waiting until now to do it.  Live and learn I suppose.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 10:47:20 AM EDT
[#20]
My biggest regret is not joining the military.  I wanted to, but then my ambitions turned elsewhere.  

Second would be moving into an old house before the renovations were completed.  What a mess.  Almost 4 years and we are still trying to get things finished.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top