Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2003 12:35:24 AM EDT
Went to a public rifle range today with my brother to shoot the M1.  When I got there I found the target frame at the 50 yard line was broken, as I went up to look at it I found that somebody had shot the thing in half on purpose(a shit load of 22 rounds into one spot on the top of the frame).  Then as I was walking down the path to the 100 yard backstop there was animal guts rotting and covered with flies.  The rest of the groundhog was tossed behind the target frames onto the embankment.  Flies were everywhere!  Then I noticed the long rips through the grass where the shots were hitting the ground, I assume at the groundhog becasue one of them lead right to the grounhog parts.  The place was littered all to hell with broken clay pigeons.  A real mess.  Now I have no problem with shooting groundhogs.  I hunt them late in the summer when the fields get cut but stinking a public range up with animal guts where you have to walk is fucking juvenile.  Also ripping rounds off into anything but the backstop is dangerous.  Although I wasn't there when this happened I'm still pissed!  Assholes like this make all of us look bad.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 1:22:59 AM EDT
[#1]
There is always someone willing to make a big mess, & leave it for everyone else to pick up. Buncha jerks.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 4:18:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Typical at 90% of the unsupervised public ranges I've been to!

In Iowa (Princeton), 15 years ago, a truck load of "locals" drags a television out to about 25 yards. They proceed to shoot it with .22's, deer rifles and shotguns until it's just a pile of crap.
They then get into the truck and drive away..........
No attempt to clean up their garbage even though a big dumpster was next to the firing line.
Can you say "White Trash"?
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 4:33:05 AM EDT
[#3]
We regularly have work parties at our range to build new rifle target holders...

Once the paper targets are used up, some of our club members (and their guests, perhaps) turn to shooting the target frames.  

Our range is not supervised.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 8:11:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Very inconsiderate.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 8:16:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I stopped going to one unsupervised range because the last time I was there, someone had busted up the concrete benches.  They must have used sledgehammers.  Not an easy task I imagine, my guess is misguided antis, as it seemed a little too well planned out for drunk teens.

That being said, as long as there is a low population of idiots around, unsupervised ranges are my favorite places to shoot.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 8:34:17 AM EDT
[#6]
I feel for you guys. Here in the Phoenix area we have 2 of the best ranges in the country. Rio Salado and Ben Avery. Both are excellent supervised ranges with many offerings for various types of shooting and events.
--RR

[url]http://www.riosaladosportsmans.com/[/url]

[url]http://www.basfaz.com/groups_&_clubs.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 8:58:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Living where I do, land isnt cheap enough for that to happen.
I like the supervised ranges I goto, allways clean, allways in 100% condition. With the exception of the one indoor place (LISC.net), some idiot allways manages to slice a steel cable with his shooting, and put it out for a tay or three until its fixed.

Cheap places nearby too, $13/day(outdoor, 100yd, 20 minutes from house/relative that I keep all the guns registered on and with.)
$20/day(Outdoor, 200yd, hour drive),
$6/day(Electronic indoor, also a gunshop which until recently(new ownership), had great prices).
$12/day(Outdoor 50yd a few hundred feet down the road from the indoor place)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top