Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/30/2003 9:32:16 PM EDT
I was born in 1961, when abortion was not legal, on a anyone for any reason scale like it is now. My older brother is 1 year, & 2 days older than me, & I have been told, that he was an extremely difficult baby. When my mom went to see the doctor she came out of his office crying to the point that my dad thought she had been told she had cancer, or some other terminal illness. She was pregnant with me, & after my brother, was scared to tears over the thought of another 1 like him. When I was about 17 or 18 we were talking about this stuff, & she told me then, that if abortion had been legal at the time, yours truly would in all likely hood, have ended up on the cutting room floor of life, if you know what I mean! I wonder how it's gotten to be as bad as it has in America.[:(!] We keep killing our little ones with out a thought about it, & claim to be the land of the free. Free to do anything we want I guess is what some folks think, The thread on aborted mommies makes me angry that some one could be so callous as to do something like that. I look to the hills in times like these. My mom now denies she ever said I would have been an abortion giving the option back then. Maybe she feels guilty about thinking that way, but it's something you don't forget when you put yourself in an aborted babies booties.
If it had been legal before you were born, a lot of us really good folks wouldn't be here now. That's pretty sad to imagine. America has it's own Nazi like death camps. There called abortion clinics. Wake up pro choicers, it could have been you that got the axe.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 10:13:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I would. My parents had me Intentionally, Boy were they sorry [;)](J/K!)
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 10:18:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I think abortion should be legal and retroactive until age 18, or until proof of a steady job.

Then, you're on your own...
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 10:39:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Your dating yourself. I was born after abortion was legal.

Someone needs to do a serious study to see if there is a link between how much a person feels that their parents wanted then as a child or were a accident that their parents had to "live with" and their emotional feelings toward abortion.

My hypothesis is that there is.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 10:53:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Probably wouldn't be around if they would have known how I would have turned out. BLACK SHEEEEEEEEEP
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 11:02:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Doesn't make any difference if its legal or not, women will still find a way to do it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 11:59:57 PM EDT
[#6]
And they did, many died in the process or were screwed up physically.

If I'd been aborted I wouldn't care, because I wouldn't know. So I guess having your parents tell you that you are a mistake is favored? How about those who are put up for adoption, never adopted and thrown into society at age 18 knowing (or at least thinking) nobody wanted them?

I could give a rat's ass you "suffered" because mommy said she might (she was never actually faced with the choice) have aborted you. In the face of what happens to 18 yr old orphans in our system since before you were born. They suffer.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 1:12:47 AM EDT
[#7]
My point wasn't to try & make anyone feel sorry for me BKinzey. I don't feel sorry for me, & I haven't suffered from what she said. I was trying to say something that would be thought provoking. I guess you aren't into thinking so I feel more sorry for you, & your lack of comprehension. I hope you don't suffer to much living in Khali at the hands of the people who control your life. I guess though on second thought I don't give a rats rear end if you do.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 1:18:09 AM EDT
[#8]
No.  I was a "love child"
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 4:18:18 AM EDT
[#9]
It wouldn't have made any difference.  My parents were Christians.  They didn't believe in murdering babies.

rainman said:
Doesn't make any difference if its legal or not, women will still find a way to do it.
View Quote

This dates you, rainman.  When I was young, back in the dark ages, there was no need for a law against abortion.  No one even knew it existed.  They were so rare, no one ever heard of them.  If a young woman got "accidentally" pregnant, she just had a baby.  Almost all were raised by the woman.  A few were put up for adoption.  Hardly any were murdered.

Edited to add:  Searcher, that was not meant as a critizism of your Mom.  Perhaps the post-birth depression caused her to not fully think through her thoughts about abortion.  Regardless, I'm glad she made the right decision.  I'm sure you and your wife and son are too. [:D]

Link Posted: 7/1/2003 5:03:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes. Fortunately my mother was one of those extremist nutbags who actually believed the "thing" inside her was a human being.

Thanks, Mom!

(I wasn't planned, BTW. I just showed up and said, "Hi!".)

Link Posted: 7/1/2003 5:06:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 5:47:38 AM EDT
[#12]
I was born AFTER Roe vs. Wade.

Av.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 6:31:21 AM EDT
[#13]
I was planned for so I doubt it. I hate it when they call it pro-choice. Coke or Pepsi is a choice. To terminate a pregnancy is a descision. A woman with a semiautamtic rifle can get an abortion, but can a woman with a baby get a semiautomatic rifle? Jesus never would have been aborted because the Angel told Mary she was carrying the son of god, so that argument is moot. The only argument is when does life begin, at conception, or when the pheotus could live indepedently from the mother? We have the technology, why can't these unwanted pheotus' be implanted into infertile couples who want them? Race probably. Who wants to raise somebody elses mistake is another. Crackhead, impregnated by XYY criminal, = probably another Kennedy or Klinton. Who the hell would want to raise a 3 year old that humps mommie's friends legs all the time, and ain't a canine? And the Abortion pill, RU486, "Are You For 86ing this pheotus?" Now that is a sick joke. The French made a funny.
I can't get pregnant, and I can't recite any religious text chapter and verse, but I know people that weren't wanted by their parents, and I know girls who's lives were ruined by abortions and teenage pregancies.(None of wich were my doing). There are no easy answers to easy questions. Does the bible mention abortion anywhere other than Leviticus?
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 6:42:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Nazi death camps? are you actually serious. get a clue. Abortion is a legal and logical alternative in many situations. Its nutcases like you who make it hard for women to go through with a choice that is hard enough to make as it is.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 6:58:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Does the bible mention abortion anywhere other than Leviticus?
View Quote

I don't believe that the Bible mentions abortion in Leviticus or anywhere else either.  Abortion was not technologically possible in Biblical times.

However, the Bible does speak of unborn babies as persons that God already knows.  And the mother of John the Baptist, upon seeing Mary, Jesus's mother, for the first time, said that John "leaped in my womb" upon the arrival of the baby Savior.

Abortionists are going to have to stand before a Great White Throne some day and answer for their crimes.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:30:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does the bible mention abortion anywhere other than Leviticus?
View Quote

I don't believe that the Bible mentions abortion in Leviticus or anywhere else either.  Abortion was not technologically possible in Biblical times.

View Quote

Point of fact:  abortion has been practiced for millenia...

History of the Procedure: [red]Termination of pregnancy has been practiced since ancient times and by all cultures.[/red] The indications and social context for termination of pregnancy vary with culture and time.

The use of abortion to preserve the life of the mother has been widely accepted. Early Jewish scholars' interpretation of the Talmud required that the fetus be destroyed if it posed a threat to the mother during delivery. The ancient Greeks allowed abortion under certain circumstances. Ancient Romans did not consider a fetus a person until after birth, and abortion was practiced widely. Early Christians had varying practices regarding abortion. By 1869, the Catholic church declared abortion a sin punishable by excommunication.

In the United States, legislation regarding abortion has varied with the times. Before 1800, no statutes addressed the subject of abortion. The first antiabortion legislation appeared in the 1820s; the preservation of pregnant women's health was the motivating force. During this time, the mortality rate from abortion was high, while the mortality rate from childbirth was less than 3%. By 1900, abortion in the United States at any time during pregnancy was a crime, with the exception of therapeutic abortion performed to save the mother's life.

During the 1950s, the practice of medicine came under increasing scrutiny, and guidelines were set to define the indications for therapeutic abortion. The guidelines allowed therapeutic abortion if (1) pregnancy would "gravely impair the physical and mental health of the mother," (2) the child born was likely to have "grave physical and mental defects," or (3) the pregnancy was the result of rape or incest (Mcfarlane, 1993). In the United States, the legalization of abortion by Roe v Wade in 1973 upheld the fundamental right of a woman to determine whether to continue her pregnancy.

View Quote

[url]http://www.emedicine.com/med/byname/therapeutic-abortion.htm[/url]

[red]emphasis added[/red]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:35:28 AM EDT
[#17]
I think we may be demonstrating how naïve we are if we were to really believe that lawfully criminalizing abortion would actually decrease the quantity of the act in this country.

Aren't we?  Come now.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:39:48 AM EDT
[#18]
DScott, I went and read your site.  I noticed that they asserted that the practice "has been practiced since ancient times and by all cultures".  But they give no sources for this alleged "fact", and they give no examples.

My point was that what we call abortion today, the surgical removal of a fetus from the womb, was not practical in Biblical times.  It was, even according to your source, not safe for the woman even in the last few hundred years.

The Bible didn't address it because it was so rare in those days as to be a non-issue.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:45:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Would you still be here if abortion had been legal before you were born ?

I dont know.

I think my mother would still be alive if she'd had abortion or two. I would rather she lived a better life rather than the one she had to put up with.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:52:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
DScott, I went and read your site.  I noticed that they asserted that the practice "has been practiced since ancient times and by all cultures".  But they give no sources for this alleged "fact", and they give no examples.

My point was that what we call abortion today, the surgical removal of a fetus from the womb, was not practical in Biblical times.  It was, even according to your source, not safe for the woman even in the last few hundred years.

The Bible didn't address it because it was so rare in those days as to be a non-issue.
View Quote

That site is just the first I came across without an obvious bias one way or the other.

Don't like that one?  Here's another one:

[url]http://www.religioustolerance.org/abo_hist.htm[/url]

Or, try google.com with the words "abortion in ancient times".

Abortion has obviously been happening long before the Christian bible was written.  As to how "rare" it is, obviously not so rare that alot of thinkers and writers made a point of commenting on it.  As a matter of fact, it must have been wanted pretty badly by people throughout time to risk the high rate of complications and mortality.

Abortion is the termination of pregnancy.  Just because we have surgical procedures and safer methods now doesn't mean that it has not been sought by people for many "thousands" of years.

Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:57:59 AM EDT
[#21]
<--- Still would be here.. [^]  
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:13:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Oh, forgot to add, my parents had been told that my mother could not conceve before I was born. Then they told her it was a one in a million case.

Then my sister came along.

Then they told her that she better start using birth control if they didn't want anymore[:)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top