Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/30/2003 7:39:50 PM EDT
I was scanning through the GD forum tonight.  I was very dismayed at the number of inflammatory and locked threads.  The bandwith and time from the mods to support a board where the average topic ranges from "why are blacks so good at basketball" to what color tie did al pechino have on in the shootout scene in "Heat".  

I suppose my question to everyone else...has the GD forum lost its usefulness?  On a firearm board should such precious resources be wasted on rather trivial and sometimes unacceptable content?  The GD forum seems to be a troll magnet some days...just sort of frustrating as a regular.

What do y'all think...I suppose as a moocher (non-paying member)  I really don't have much room to offer up suggestions.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 7:43:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Many members were away at bulletfest this weekend.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 7:43:11 PM EDT
[#2]

You don't like GD? Don't surf GD. No one's putting a gun to your head.

Link Posted: 6/30/2003 7:43:36 PM EDT
[#3]
You know what...I think you are 100% correct.  Bunch of kids in here at times.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 7:46:11 PM EDT
[#4]
[rolleyes] So what purpose do you think the GD board is for? Even if some folks abuse the system, it's called free speech. If the post warrants a lock it will get locked.
Out lived it's usefulness? Not hardly.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 7:47:31 PM EDT
[#5]
It does amaze me the amount of replies that the stupidity gets.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 7:48:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 7:54:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 7:56:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Nope, I like it...GD is usually the first place I check.  Diverse, perverse, useless, interesting, entertaining, fun, IMNSHO.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:12:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
We strongly prefer to think of all Members as being equally valuable--paying and non-paying.  [:)]

As to the GD and its usefulness--it is the heart and soul of ARFCOM.  Times such as these are cyclical and fairly easy handled.  Besides, that's why we are so well paid.  A little bit of "forced discipline" goes a long way to get things back on track.  Occasionally we lose a Member over it, but mostly it's just "time outs" to get the point across.  Don't worry, we will be back to the "normal" stuff in no time.  [:)]
View Quote

You get paid for this caca?? Damn M, you couldn't get me to mod this forum for nothing less than $30k per year. What a damn headache that task must be.[:|]

-T.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:27:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:33:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm new here and certainly don't want to step on any toes, but here my take. When I first came here a couple of months ago I was interested in advertising. I made a coyote hunting video where I used the AR15 rifle. I thought what better place to advertise. These AR guys will eat this up. Well to date I can trace about 3-4 sales from AR15. I've made a few post regarding my video just to have them almost ignored. I had one guy actually buy the video and posted how much he liked it, and by the time I got there the thread was locked. I couldn't even say thanks. They said it was accidentally locked. I guess it could happen. Then I thought hey maybe it's because no body knows me here. I posted another thread "who's your favorite comic book hero", got over 40 replies in just a short time. Ed Avila SR. wrote a review of my video (it's on the home page) then made a post about my video and it was basically ignored.

Like I said earlier I'm new here, and the staff that I've dealt with have been great. Honestly I had the same thought's as sloth. Just wanted to exercise my right to free speech on the subject.

No one put a gun to my head either, but when I go to the general forums on a gun board, in my feeble mind it should be at least 60-40 gun related vs. other.

I hope I didn't piss anybody off. That's just my answer to the mans question.

Thanks again to the staff. I'm hanging in their waiting for hunting season.

Have a great week.

Byron

ps. I really think you guy's will dig my video.

[url]www.comingtothecall.com[/url]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:45:29 PM EDT
[#12]
A tip of the hat to sloth for posting the question.  I have been here a lot longer than
my (held in high esteem by others) post count
would suggest, and still kick myself in the ass
every time I visit the GD forum.  I enjoy the
visits, but wonder why.  Kind of like the
'rubber neckers' that slow down to see what there
is to see at a traffic accident.

AR15.com would be better off without GD.  I would
visit AR15.com less if there wasn't a GD.  What
to do?  Is it meds time?
DanM
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:55:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 9:01:46 PM EDT
[#14]
The GD forum is the best part of this website and I think a lot of people would leave if it were cut.  I say get a sense of humor and stop crying about annoying posts! [slap]  I just got rid of cable, I now depend on the AR15.com GD Forum for all of my up-to-the-minute news!
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 9:03:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Sometimes it seems that way... I don't recall things getting nearly as out of hand on the old board as they do here.

Oh, wait...

[url]http://web.archive.org/web/20000621022009/forums.ar15.com/cgi/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=General+Discussion&number=3&DaysPrune=10&LastLogin=[/url]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 9:07:42 PM EDT
[#16]
There's only two forums here, that I use regularly. General Discussion, and the Equipment Exchange. I don't bitch when I "surf" the other forums.

Catch my "drift"??? [:D]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 9:20:02 PM EDT
[#17]
There are other forums?

Link Posted: 6/30/2003 9:25:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Nope.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 9:36:42 PM EDT
[#19]
There's plenty of useless threads (as far as *I* am concerned) in GD.

BUT

There are plenty of gems (as far as *I* am concerned) too.

Gotta take the bad with the good.

I spend most of my time in this forum unless I'm pursuing info on something specific.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 9:37:22 PM EDT
[#20]
If it weren't for GD, then the feds, state doj, mjtf, and agent provocateurs would lose their one major point of infiltration and initiation of extrapment programs. In addition, if GD were done away with the whole site would go down as the above mentioned comprises of 95-99% of the paid membership of this site.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 9:41:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Imbroglio, hush! You're gonna blow our cover, man.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 9:53:46 PM EDT
[#22]
AR15 GD is unlike ANYPLACE else on the net.

It's been better and it's been worse. And nobody is making anyone stay. There are more than enough gun specific areas here and tons of other gun forums on the net.

If you find it too wild you can go to thehighroad or glocktalk. If you find it too irreverant you cna go to assweb. If you find it to controlled you can go to full-auto or pre-ban.

But all of them combined wouldn't give you ar15.com.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 10:02:39 PM EDT
[#23]
"All ARFCOM members are created equal, some are just MORE equal than others..."
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 10:05:35 PM EDT
[#24]
If some of that was directed at me.
Please let me clarify what I posted earlier. I think sloth made an interesting observation. I'm not bitching. In fact I think there is some great information to be gained from this board. My writing skills are probably not up to ya'lls standards, and I probably sound like I'm bitching.
I'm the new guy here and I was just thinking the same way sloth was. I had my experiences to share, thought I would. now I'm taking heat.
There are other boards that talk about all kind of mind less drivel. I was under the impression this was a gun related board. That why I came here and, that's why a lot of the topics struck me as way off. I'll get use to it or I will leave. Simple as that.

By the way what color tie did Al Pacino wear in that Shootout scene in Heat.

Lighten up and don't be so defensive. The guy just ask what was on his mind.

Have a great week.

Byron

Link Posted: 6/30/2003 10:06:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I suppose my question to everyone else...has the GD forum lost its usefulness?  
View Quote

It was useful at one point?
[:D]

[headbang][size=6][blue]+[/blue][red]+[/red][yellow]+[/yellow]1[yellow]+[/yellow][red]+[/red][blue]+[/blue][/size=6][naughty]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 12:54:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You know what...I think you are 100% correct.  Bunch of kids in here at times.

SGtar15
View Quote

It's summer what the hell do you expect.  All the kids are home from school and wasting their summers away getting fat in front of the Computer!

DG84
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 12:56:53 AM EDT
[#27]
[b]Has the General Discussion forum outlived usefulness?[/b]

Yes
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 3:52:21 AM EDT
[#28]
[img]http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/images/smilies/boohoo.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 3:59:26 AM EDT
[#29]
... [b]cttc1[/b], I didn't see where any of that was directed towards you. That said, being a long time member here, ARFCOM is [i]not[/i]  a hunting leaning board. If anything, must hunting trophy stories and photos get relatively low responses. If fact, if you used guns as the common denominator, ARFCOM (especially GD) is at the opposite end of the spectrum from, say, [url=http://www.huntamerica.com/]Hunt America[/url]. And although we certainly have AR15 hunting aficionados on the site there are by and large many more non hunters. I'd be very interested in your video, and when (and if it seems these days) I finally get home, I'll buy a copy.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 4:07:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I was scanning through the GD forum tonight.  I was very dismayed at the number of inflammatory and locked threads.  The bandwith and time from the mods to support a board where the average topic ranges from "why are blacks so good at basketball" to what color tie did al pechino have on in the shootout scene in "Heat".  

I suppose my question to everyone else...has the GD forum lost its usefulness?  On a firearm board should such precious resources be wasted on rather trivial and sometimes unacceptable content?  The GD forum seems to be a troll magnet some days...just sort of frustrating as a regular.

What do y'all think...I suppose as a moocher (non-paying member)  I really don't have much room to offer up suggestions.
View Quote

Sloth, have you ever attended a major shootiing event with fellow AR15.com members?

Because GD exists, it allows members to express themselves and talk about anything and everything. It is the heart and soul of what builds the camraderie between members here, so that when we all get together at events like Bulletfest or Gunstock, we are already familiar with the person and can dispense with the formalities. It's like old home week when we all get together. You already somewhat know the people and are more relaxed around those that you consider friends.

The hundreds of folks that attended Bulletfest this past weekend should be able to attest to this.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 8:09:57 AM EDT
[#31]
GD can be entertaining and/or irritating.

Luckily you can choose what you read.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 8:17:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Sloth, have you ever attended a major shootiing event with fellow AR15.com members?

Because GD exists, it allows members to express themselves and talk about anything and everything. It is the heart and soul of what builds the camraderie between members here, so that when we all get together at events like Bulletfest or Gunstock, we are already familiar with the person and can dispense with the formalities. It's like old home week when we all get together. You already somewhat know the people and are more relaxed around those that you consider friends.

The hundreds of folks that attended Bulletfest this past weekend should be able to attest to this.
View Quote

Hear Hear BenD!  Could you imagine how stiff I would have been if I didnt know you, Tweets and a good portion of the camping gang?

GD is the one place where we dont HAVE to talk about shop (guns).  There are alot of good gun threads, but it is not the driving force behind GD.  
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 8:17:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Outlived usefulness?  NO.  I can use threads like this to increase my post count.

edit cuz I cain't speel
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 8:30:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
... [b]cttc1[/b], I didn't see where any of that was directed towards you. That said, being a long time member here, ARFCOM is [i]not[/i]  a hunting leaning board. If anything, must hunting trophy stories and photos get relatively low responses. If fact, if you used guns as the common denominator, ARFCOM (especially GD) is at the opposite end of the spectrum from, say, [url=http://www.huntamerica.com/]Hunt America[/url]. And although we certainly have AR15 hunting aficionados on the site there are by and large many more non hunters. I'd be very interested in your video, and when (and if it seems these days) I finally get home, I'll buy a copy.
View Quote

Most of the people who own weapons that I know, do NOT own them for any "Sporting" reasons, nor are they "sporting" weapons.....

That includes me.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:55:45 AM EDT
[#35]
I thought that there was some really good points brought up here.  I know no body is making me surf this forum, btu like was mentioed earlier, its addictive...I don't want to stop by...really, but its like a car accident on the freeway or the fat woman in a thong.  You don't want to look, you know you'll regret looking, but damned if you can stop yourself.  

It is an interesting place to visit, I just worry at times too many focus on the GD forum and both resources as well as expert opinions are lost int he other forums.  Think about it, there is so much knolledge floating around here.  The ARFCOM army is a wealth of firearm/reloading/tactical knolledge I'd hate to think that other important forums are being neglected so that we can figure out if we'd hit it or not.

I think teh GD forum has its place, btu I'd hope others would make concious effort to visit other forums to offer advice and guidance.  I know I'm going to try better myself.  

Link Posted: 7/1/2003 12:21:56 PM EDT
[#36]
GD outlived its usefulness?

Absolutely not. Bendover's opinion is spot-on.

This is a fantastic place to hang out. It really is an internet lounge full of people who like chatting about everything, whether the subject matter is important or not.

The internet is a wonderful tool!
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 12:36:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 12:39:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 12:52:27 PM EDT
[#39]
GD is good for a number of reasons.  My reasons are mainly for news, BSing with members about certain topics and beating back the trolls.  Just because you think GD is useless, that doesn't mean that others do not benefit.

I'd also consider GD as indispensible.  Think of all of the threads that would get deleted if they were started in other forums?  GD also provides a forum to discuss anything and everything.  

Want to tell the world about the whore that left you for the other man?  GD it!
Want to tell the world about your newborn? GD it!
Want to talk about Israel?  GD it!
Want to talk about heathen muslim maggots?  GD it! (And IM me so I can jump in.)
Want to talk about homosexuality?  GD it!
Want to talk about your homosexuality?  Call your boyfriend and get back in the closet!

Want to bitch about GD?  GD it!
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 1:36:02 PM EDT
[#40]
no way. GD rocks! where else would I have found out who made my tractor or get a pair of boots just for asking where I could buy them? what about johnny renos news pics....etc? Not to mention all the interesting discussions that go on here. I'm here for good, or as long as GB can keep it running.

[banana]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 2:34:39 PM EDT
[#41]
GD is cheap entertainment... who said it needed to be "useful"?

Link Posted: 7/1/2003 2:44:03 PM EDT
[#42]
No.

+1 [;)]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 3:42:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Isn't it called "General" discussion? This is the only board I visit.  I don't mind all the flaming, it makes it more interesting.  How would you like every thread to go like this:

"Well chaps, I do believe the .223 round is a better choice than the 7.62x39"

"I really do have to disagree my good friend, although I do see you have a point! Maybe we can discuss this over tea sometime?"

"Very good then!"
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 3:49:46 PM EDT
[#44]
You have most of the US Gov't to pick on, and you go after GD? [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 3:58:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
How would you like every thread to go like this:

"Well chaps, I do believe the .223 round is a better choice than the 7.62x39"

"I really do have to disagree my good friend, although I do see you have a point! Maybe we can discuss this over tea sometime?"

"Very good then!"
View Quote

putting an end to civil conversation was the whole point of the revolutionary war.  being an asshole is your god given american duty.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 4:02:00 PM EDT
[#46]
No we like our GD just like our AKs ,sloppy loose and right on!    Get in or get out,but we can never change it!   Wahoo  +1   Bob [:D]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 4:06:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
putting an end to civil conversation was the whole point of the revolutionary war.  being an asshole is your god given american duty.
View Quote
[LOLabove]

[^]

That's worthy of being a sigline!! [beer]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 4:27:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I know I'm going to try better myself.  

View Quote

Change your username, you're a disgrace!!!  [;)]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 4:37:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
You know what...I think you are 100% correct.  [red]Bunch of kids in here at times.[/red]

SGtar15
View Quote

aint that the damn truth!
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 5:06:46 PM EDT
[#50]
You know it is useless when some 40 year old dude asks" What gun for planet of the apes?". Can you say "NEVER GET LAID"
GG
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top