Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/30/2003 7:05:43 PM EDT
This morning, my grandfather went to face the biggest battle of his life...that is, the biggest battle FOR his life.

Just last week, a cancerous tumor was discovered in his lungs.  He hadn't had any symptoms, but he decided it was time to get himself checked out for cancer.  So, the doctors gave him a special drink, the contents of which are absorbed by cancerous cells.  Under a MRI-like device these cells will stand out like French white flags.

And there it was.  About the size of a golf ball, the cancer had taken a foothold in the lower lobe of his left lung.  The doctors decided it was treatable.

First, he would be prepped for surgery as if the lobe would be removed.  In the first phase of the procedure, the surgeons took three samples of the tissue.  They had to make sure it was malignant.  Then, if it was, the lower lobe would be removed.

Well, it was malignant, but there was another problem.  It wasn't ONLY in his lower lobe.  In fact, it was centered BETWEEN the two lobes of his left lung.  The whole lung had to be removed.

Shortly after the procedure, it was discovered that he was leaking air, so the surgeons went back in to plug up the leak.

My grandfather is recovering now, and hopefully this is the last of the cancer we'll see.  But the biggest fight of his life is ahead of him, I fear.  He's an active man, and I don't know how well he'll do with only 1 lung.

So, if you will, think of an old man for me tonight.  He survived the European theatre of WWII...pray that he will survive this newest battle.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 7:16:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll send a prayer along for your grandfather BigD.

My step-mom just had 2/3's of her left lung removed because of a very fast growing tumor. She's already lifting that arm above her head, ahead of schedule - physical therapy wise.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 7:28:21 PM EDT
[#2]
People can go on living fairly active lives after having a lung removed. We had a guy at work with one lung, and while running wasn't real high on his list of favorite things to do, he otherwise did pretty much what he wanted. I imagine your Grandfather will be slowed up somewhat for awhile, but as long as there are no complications (and I pray there will be none), he should be able to keep on chuggin'.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:04:47 PM EDT
[#3]
As Zardoz said, assuming he didnt have breathing problems to begin with (IE: smoke damaged lungs), he should have no problems within a few weeks (maybe)months of recovery.
My prayers go out to your grandfather, I hope he makes a complete recovery without complications..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top