[i]"Democracy can't exist if anybody but the Govt. has guns"[/i]

... Something cheesy mailed to the first correct answer
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 5:36:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Al Capone?
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 5:40:38 PM EDT
[#2]
CEASER?

no, wait, he didn't have guns....ok,,,,my bad!

jesus christ.

no, wait, i didn't mean he said it, i meant, "jesus christ!"
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 5:42:29 PM EDT
[#3]
... a clue

... It was said today by someone quite famous
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 5:50:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Imbroglio?
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 6:07:45 PM EDT
[#5]
... Here you go

[size=3][b]Secretary of State Colin Powell[/b][/size=3]

[url]http://www.pbs.org/newshour/newshour_index.html[/url]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 6:15:45 PM EDT
[#6]
That's disturbing.  
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 6:16:30 PM EDT
[#7]
[BS]
He was quoting a palestinian leader who said that. Listen again.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 6:16:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Ummm...no. Listen again. He was quoting the Palestinian prime minister.  
He was saying this was a positive sign because it meant that Abbas, the Prime Minister, was going to try to dismantle and disarm Hamas and Palestinian Islamic Jihad.  
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 6:21:16 PM EDT
[#9]
To bad he was quoting the Palestinian prime minister. And not speaking of his own beliefs.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 6:28:28 PM EDT
[#10]
My first guess would have been Machiavelli (sp?) who had some very interesting views on how to govern but I believe he might have been at a time when guns weren't very popular.
So instead I will guess Thomas Jefferson.
So, do I win something cheesy? :)
editted to add;
Ya know, I should really read more closely.
Colin Powell eh? that is a bit disturbing indeed...
But then again Clarence Thomas has hinted that he fully supports the 2nd as an individual right. Maybe support guns is a genetic thing, attached to  the uncle thomas gene...
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 6:33:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Powell defends the right to bear arms. As a military man, he would naturally own weapons. But he also supports registration of weapons and reasonable investigation of would-be registrants.

[url]http://www.issues2000.org/Celeb/Colin_Powell_Gun_Control.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 6:36:00 PM EDT
[#12]
"Because I express these beliefs, some people have rushed to hang a Republican label around my neck. I am not, however, knee-jerk, anti-government. I was born a New Deal, Depression-era kid. Franklin Roosevelt was a hero in my boyhood home. Government helped my parents by providing cheap public subway systems so that they could get to work, and public schools for their children, and protection under the law to make sure their labor was not exploited. . . . Social Security allowed my par22ents to live a dignified retirement. Medicare gave them access to quality care during long, painful terminal illnesses."

Yes, Virginia, it is possible to be a fiscal conservative and still be pro-gun control, pro-choice, for separation of church and state and positive about affirmative action.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 7:17:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Along a similiar line...
Who said this?
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the people's liberty's teeth."
Answer below...
It is spelled backwards in case you couldn't figure that out on your own ;)
notgnihsaW egroeG

Link Posted: 6/30/2003 7:26:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Along a similiar line...
Who said this?
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the people's liberty's teeth."
Answer below...
View Quote
I think that's a hoax quote.

No original citation shows Washington ever saying that.

Link Posted: 6/30/2003 7:37:35 PM EDT
[#15]

Here's an easy one:

"I asked a friend... to give me some practice in target shooting so that if the need arose I would know how to use the gun."

Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:32:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Here's an easy one:

"I asked a friend... to give me some practice in target shooting so that if the need arose I would know how to use the gun."

View Quote

... [b]desertmoon[/b]?
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:42:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
[i]"Democracy can't exist if anybody but the Govt. has guns"[/i]
View Quote

I'm still not clear about [i]who[/i] said it, but if I'm reading the statement correctly, the person seems to be saying that NO ONE except the Government can have guns for Democracy to exist. Or am I just mis-reading the quote?

[Edited to ask: Do ya'll agree with this statement?]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 11:22:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Here's an easy one:

View Quote

I believe that was Eleanor Roosevelt
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:54:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's an easy one:

View Quote

I believe that was Eleanor Roosevelt
View Quote
Right you are!
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 2:50:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Along a similiar line...
Who said this?
Answer below...
View Quote
I think that's a hoax quote.

No original citation shows Washington ever saying that.

View Quote

I couldn't tell you for sure but this is where I got it from.
http://www.quotationreference.com/quotefinder.php?strt=1&subj=George+Washington&byax=1&lr=
Any idea if it is real or not?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top