Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/30/2003 3:31:55 PM EDT
I'm going through this right now.
I can't prove this guy (an employee)ripped one of my trucks,but about 5 things really point his way.
When I pulled him to the side and told him what a bad thing this was (with out accusing) my truck pops up in perfect shape today.
He's been a good employee for over two years and I think he took it so I would upgrade his truck to a newer one(with A/C) via insurance.
If he had a man to man talk with me and appologized I would make every effort to forgive.
I also can't send out the message that this is ok to the rest of the crew.
The wife told me I shouldn't retaliat and I really don't want to get sued so I'm considering putting on my "dickhead hat" and making it miserable for him.
Thoughts?
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 3:35:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 3:39:03 PM EDT
[#2]
confront him and let him know the score:

1. you think he did it.
2. you are going to act negatively to him because you think he did it.
3. about the only way that things are going to go back to normal is if he coughs up.

sounds like a decent guy w/ good intentions that led him down the path to hell.  happens to us all.  what divides a man from a cowardly thief is how they face being caught.

edited: to remove quote
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 3:40:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Let it go. With out hard evidence the risk is too great, not only for you but for him as well. If you do have rock solid proof, take it to the police.

Just my .02
Samuel
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 4:08:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Absolutely Not!!!!
I had a roomate that I caught stealing from me and while he was at work the next day, the movers came and got all my shit out of the house and I never spoke to his punk ass again...Come to find out he had even been calling my ex.  If I had known that the night I caught him stealing..."he" would have gone on a long vacation....
Gemologist[x]BLOAT
Buy Lots Of Ammo Today
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 4:14:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 4:16:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Confront him with your thoughts. Lay it on the line.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 4:19:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
confront him and let him know the score:

1. you think he did it.
3. about the only way that things are going to go back to normal is if he coughs up.

sounds like a decent guy w/ good intentions that led him down the path to hell.  happens to us all.  what divides a man from a cowardly thief is how they face being caught.

edited: to remove quote
View Quote

Well said.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 4:25:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Let it go. With out hard evidence the risk is too great, not only for you but for him as well. If you do have rock solid proof, take it to the police.

Just my .02
Samuel
View Quote

That's probably the best answer you will get.  No rock solid proof, let it go, but keep an eye on him anyway.  Could you do an employment criminal background check on him?  Might turn up a few items of interest.

I could forgive a person who has gone a few days without food for stealing some food, and especially to feed hungry children.  That's about it though!

But for a BS reason like wanting a new truck?  No.  Hell, I want a new truck.  But I'm not going to steal one.  

[b]Jarhead_22[/b], we had a barracks theif at Iwakuni in '87.  LCpl Pearson's wallet was removed from his nightstand.  Sgt Maj Vasquez held a formation and outright said he wanted a dead body on his desk if we could catch the bastard.  A guard at the front gate stopped a drunk Marine coming through the front gate on a bicycle.  When asked for his ID, the drunk Cpl presented LCpl Pearsons ID card.  Pearson's mom was Japanese, and Sam took after his mom's side of the family in the looks department.  The POS was red headed.  Further investigation of the POS's wall locker turned up 28 ID cards, the product of 6 years of stealing wallets and purses of Marines and Sailors.  Sgt Maj was pissed because PMO caught him before he did.  Sam had to stay back in Iwakuni for almost 2 months on legal hold to testify at the Court Martial.

Link Posted: 6/30/2003 4:32:29 PM EDT
[#9]
[b]
1. you think he did it.
[/b]
4. Fire his ass when he confesses.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 4:43:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Make a new official policy. If a worker loses their truck, theyre fired on the spot. No Questions Asked (Carjacking, and other at-gun-point stuff isnt considered 'loses').
Should the vehicle be found later, good, high unemployment and plenty of more trustworthy people worthy of the position, if not, who cares, you get a new truck from insurance co. and a new employee who doesnt lose employer property(Heck, there might even be someone here at ARFCOM who lives near by and happens to be unemployed, Just an idea).

Anyway, why would you let you drivers take YOUR trucks anywhere besided delivery trips, and maintainance?
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 5:42:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd sure have a hard time living with myself if I fired the guy and then found out later that he didn't do it.

I'd be 100% positive before I did anything.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 6:04:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 6:09:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Jonny_Reno... Assuming an employee is only suppost to use the vehicle while working/doing-deliveries. They should really be with the vehicle at all times, should they park it and go do whatever(for themselves) (Besides viditing a deli or something in the middle of a work day), then find its been stolen, thats grounds enough for it to be fired.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 6:23:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This was Camp Kinser in 1991. The First Sergeant called a formation around 1100 one morning to say that someone had stolen our barracks Mamma-san's purse, and we had until 1600 to find it. He told all NCOs to stand fast, then dismissed the company. The NCOs were told to find the purse and the thief, and bring them directly to the First Sergeant, after he had been appropriately "chastised."

We took up a quick collection and sent a guy on a mission to buy Mamma-san a nice new leather purse and wallet at the PX and to exchange the leftover cash for yen at the E-Club and put it in the wallet. A couple of us then gave it to her with many a "Gomenasai." Then we all got back to the barracks and had our [b]own[/b] formation. We told everyone that there would be no peace --ever-- at Comm Company again if the purse and thief were not turned over to us. That anyone who would steal from Mamma-san would steal or otherwise fuck over any Marine or Sailor there. That they had until 1530. Dismissed.

About an hour later there was a knock on my door, and all the NCOs were getting together. Someone had come forward. A PFC had seen a woman's purse in his roommate's wall locker and didn't know if it was Mamma-san's or not, but thought he'd mention it. We gave him $20 and told him to beat feet for the E-Club and not to come back until 1630 for the First Sergeant's formation at Comm Company. About 15 of us busted into the thief's room and locked the doors, made him open his wall locker and there it was. He didn't even throw it away. We beat on him a little, then frogmarched him down to the company area. When we knocked on the First Sergeant's door, all he wanted to know was how the theif had gotten there. He refused to believe that a thief could walk from the barracks to the company head shed under his own power, so we took PFC Rice to the motor T garage and kicked him down the stairs a few times, then drug him back to the head shed and threw him bodily in front of the First Sergeant's desk, along with the purse.

PFC Rice was displayed like a fresh kill before the 1630 formation, then went into the back of an MP van and was taken away.
View Quote

As it should be!
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 7:00:45 PM EDT
[#15]
F' him.  A thief is a thief is a thief.  He has probably been nickeling and diming you from day one.  Honest men don't negotiate for a new truck in that fashion.

Screw me once shame on you.  Screw me twice shame on me.  

Send him packing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top