Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2003 2:18:44 PM EDT
I remember hearing about a book that was based on the true story of SS and other German troops that were taken in by the French and used against the communists in IndoChina to great success.  It was supposed to be great, and rare.  Something like Devil's Warriors, Devils Soldiers, something like that but I can get a hit on the booksellers, new or used, to match the story line.

Thanks,
jd1
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 2:25:12 PM EDT
[#1]
You are looking for "The Devil's Brigade" published in the 60s or 70s.  The former Nazi soldiers had no homes to return to, unless they wanted to live under the hated Russians.  There was a large enlistment into the French Foreign Legion.  Ops
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 2:42:50 PM EDT
[#2]
A great story, one that really opened my eyes about how the US was screwing up peacekeeping ops.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 2:58:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Wasn't it "Devil's Guard"?

Yes, here's the Amazon page: [url]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0440120144/qid=1057013849/sr=8-3/ref=sr_8_3/102-5222614-5612161?v=glance&s=books&n=507846[/url]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 3:13:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 3:26:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh, the world was going through a de-colonization period then. The European powers ewre abandoning almost all of their former colonies.  Algeria and Vietnam were just part of the tide.

The left in France has always found the Legion and its mission distasteful. There was lots of public opposition to the war in Indochine in France as well as Algeria.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 9:01:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Awesome book. Reads far too much like a memoir to be fiction. I first read it back in the '70s and still have the book in a box in the garage somewhere (I make a point of holding on to books I really like!)

Former SS troopers, hardened veterans of partisan warefare on the Eastern front of WWII, these guys were the real deal. The Viet Minh hated them because they traded terror for terror. In the end, the Viet Minh used the western press to create enough negative public opinion to force the French to remove the German Legionaires.

It is without doubt one of the best books I have ever read on small-unit combat in Southeast Asia. Other good books to read are "Forgotten Soldier," by Guy Sajer, and all the Sven Hassell novels of the Russian Front.

Panzer Out

Link Posted: 6/30/2003 9:09:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Didn't the french leave some of the German units behind? I think I read something about it in a old SOF issue. Still fought on till they were all killed or captured .
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 9:33:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Click on the amazon link above and check the prices.

$475.00!!!

It's new/unread and sounds very interesting, but c'mon!

Used for $100.00. Hey, that's reasonable.

Is this thing a collectors item due to it's un-pc'ness?

(Un-pc'ness?)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top