Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2003 11:56:14 AM EDT
The wife and I went to a ball game in Harrisburg this weekend. Senators got stomped by the Bowie Bay Socks, but it was fun anyway.

So, they check my wife's purse for ??? what? Weapons? Bombs?

I walked right through carrying my 1911 with 3 mags of .45 ACP Hydrashoks.

What's the point of the purse/backpack/fanny pack searches?

Also, she's got a CCW. Any idea what would happen if she had been carrying a gun in the purse?  Might be interesting.

No signs prohibiting weapons at the ballpark.

How about open carry? It's only illegal in Philadelphia. I wasn't willing to try it, but I am wondering......  Somehow, I don't think it would fly.

I think I'll have to give them a call and see if they have policies on weapons.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 12:10:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably wanted to make sure your wife wasn't smuggling in a box of jujubees which they can charge you $6 for.

Link Posted: 6/30/2003 12:20:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Not sure about PA but in TX it's implied that you cannot carry a weapon into a sporting event.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 12:24:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Not sure about PA but in TX it's implied that you cannot carry a weapon into a sporting event.
View Quote
Implied? Implied?!?! Uh, I don't think that's the way laws work, even in Texas. It's either legal, or it's specifically forbidden by statute, law or regulation. An "implied" restriction is no more forceful than is "intention" a defense.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 12:24:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not illegal in PA.

What's "implied" in TX law?
It's stated in the law:

Places off-limits while carrying

Title 10 Chpt. 46 § 46.03

A place of business that derives 51% or more of its income from the sale or service of alcoholic beverages for on premises consumption on premises of a correctional facility on the premises where a high school, collegiate or professional sporting event of interscholastic event is taking place, unless the license holder is a participant in the event and a handgun is used in the event
at a meeting of a governmental entity (meetings or buildings), but according to Sec.46.035.i of the TX code, meetings of government entities have to post the 30.06 sign if they want to ban carry physical premises of a school or educational institution; premises of a polling place
racetrack; secured area of an airport
courtroom

Public or private premises conspicuously posted with this sign

Link Posted: 6/30/2003 12:27:14 PM EDT
[#5]
There ya go.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 12:29:34 PM EDT
[#6]
As someone stated:
No CCWs allowed in TX sporting/spectator events.

TX has the most exceptions out of all the "shall issue" CCW states.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 12:44:16 PM EDT
[#7]
MLB doesn't want people bringing in their own booze to the games, specifically glass bottles or cans.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 1:07:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Interestingly, the signs are posted on the island as well as the ballpark, and are fashioned in red in such a way that they *look* like a security sign.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 1:38:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
MLB doesn't want people bringing in their own booze to the games, specifically glass bottles or cans.
View Quote

More specifically, no $.25 beverage when they can charge you $6.75.

Just like movie theatres, they don't want outside competition.  They used the homeland security idea to further their monopoly on food and beverage prices.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 1:48:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I suppose I picked a bad word with "implied"... S O R R Y !!

I meant that it is stated in the law and does not need to be stated on a sign at the venue.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 2:09:23 PM EDT
[#11]
It's funny...they do the same thing where I work, in Jersey. They run through all the bags through an X-ray machine (yah, like the rent-a-cops have any idea what they're looking at or for)...but they don't check anyone's person.

Someone could walk through with a shotgun strapped to their underarm under a trenchcoat and they'd never know. It's the oddest thing.

In response to that, I've taken to filling my bag with the weirdest shit...just to see what they do. So far, it has in it:

A towel (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, anyone?)
A pair of binoculars (nice Steiners)
Box of rubbers (Hey...be prepared!)
A Leatherman
My iPaq (PDA)
My iPod (mp3 player)
The current book that I'm reading
Tums (hey, I *DO* work for a living)
Advil (for taking pre- and post-barhopping)

So far..all they ever ask about is the Leatherman. (Actually, it's a Kershaw, but close enough.) "Hey, what is that?"...

Ahh well. There's a guy in my building that comes to work with a good 8" bladed knife, sheathed, in his bag. They've never stopped him, or asked him about it.

Oh, and of course, the delivery dock has no such equipment, nor is there any security of any kind there. If some schmuck in a truck drives up and unloads a pile of crap, all they check is if the guy has the right building, and which floor it's going to. That's it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 2:25:14 PM EDT
[#12]
In Florida it's part of the CCW law that you can't carry at sporting events.  
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 2:35:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Was it Garryowen with a hilarious CCW story?  He went to see Attack of the Clones, carrying a Glock on his hip.  The security people were confiscating lightsabers and plastic blasters, but Garryowen just waltzed through, with a real, loaded pistol on his hip.

Some kid in costume saw it inside the theatre and asked "Whoa! What's that?"  "That's my gun."  "Gun?  That's real?"  "Of course."  "They took my lightsaber, but let you in with a gun?"

[lol]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 2:59:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Some kid  "They took my lightsaber, but let you in with a gun?"

[lol]
View Quote

That is PRICELESS!!

Got, "security" is STUPID.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 4:08:47 PM EDT
[#15]
collegiate or professional sporting event of interscholastic event is taking place.
View Quote

You ar estill in the clear, even that quote only stated professional COLLEGE sports. "Interscholastic" means SCHOOL.

BISHOP
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top