Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/22/2016 10:11:47 AM EDT
I was invited to go hunt in early December on an 1800 acre high fenced managed game ranch.  Allowed to take a management buck and also getting a five day small game permit for hogs.  

I've only ever hunted the woods of North Arkansas so I'm a little nervous as I don't wanna look stupid.  I'm thinking of taking a 25-06 in the Remington 700 variety, wingmaster 12 Guage for birds, and my 14.5 inch BCM for hogs.  Will this be appropriate?  Also what should I expect weather wise?  Do I need thermals and all cold weather gear or is it more of a long sleeve and jeans type weather?  Only desert experience I have is Iraq.  All help appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 10:16:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Usually long sleeve and jeans type weather down here but I would pack some cold weather gear just in case of a cold front and those firearms will work just fine.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 10:18:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.  Makes me feel better.  I'm not a real avid hunter.  I hunt just not as seriously as most.  But I couldn't pass up the chance to take a nice buck and hunt a trophy property.  
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 10:19:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Usually long sleeve and jeans type weather down here but I would pack some cold weather gear just in case of a cold front and those firearms will work just fine.
View Quote

Agreed
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 10:20:42 AM EDT
[#4]
The training you got for Iraq could come in handy with the wave of illegals( I assume ) that are trying to beat the wall.
ETA: good luck!
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 10:23:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm not on the border but this morning in the TX Hill Country  I wore my coveralls to the stand. When I go out this afternoon I'll need shorts and a t shirt.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 10:24:24 AM EDT
[#6]
HAHA, if you think you are going to get a "nice" buck in Tx. Don't expect too much.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 10:25:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks.  Makes me feel better.  I'm not a real avid hunter.  I hunt just not as seriously as most.  But I couldn't pass up the chance to take a nice buck and hunt a trophy property.  
View Quote

Sounds great no way I would pass that up.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 10:26:39 AM EDT
[#8]
25-06 will work for hogs too.   It all depends on the attitude of the owner/manager.   Some places want you to kill as many hogs as possible, and don't even want them taken out of the field, AR works great.   Dress the medium size ones leave the bigger nasty ones for the coyotes.   Other places want hogs taken with precision.  If the later is the case the 25-06 will work well.   The problem with ARs and hog hunting is that some people have a tendency to start spraying and praying when confronted with a large sounder of 20 hogs.  A .223 has a much smaller margin of error for proper shot placement and still drop a hog quickly.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 10:27:32 AM EDT
[#9]
It was 80 yesterday in Alice for a high. The low was about 60. It's usually slightly warmer inland. You should bring a mix of fall clothes. The weather isn't bad but being outside in the wind for hours will cause you to be much colder than the weather seems. Your rifle/shotgun choices seem good to me.

Edit. Lifetime Texas resident, 10 years working oilfield in south Texas. Lives in south Texas.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 10:28:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm not on the border but this morning in the TX Hill Country  I wore my coveralls to the stand. When I go out this afternoon I'll need shorts and a t shirt.
View Quote

This is what you need to expect
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 10:31:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Sorry.....quit reading at "hunting, high game fence".  WTAF?

Like fishing in an aquarium.  
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 10:33:38 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote

I agree.  I promise that if I take a buck, I will always refer to it as the deer I paid for
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 10:34:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Depends on the amount of land. I know of a ranch that's 19000 acres and high fenced. There isn't any difference hunting it and hunting a low fence area except that the deer are in Better shape because of management and constant sources of water being provided.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 10:36:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
HAHA, if you think you are going to get a "nice" buck in Tx. Don't expect too much.
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/upfiles/89167/44318D3BA60D467683D352B543B597EA.JPG
View Quote

Go sign your secession petition so we can be rid of you.

Here's a deer taken at a high fence MLD (Loma Seco) near the border in west TX just like what OP is talking about.

Link Posted: 11/22/2016 10:36:33 AM EDT
[#15]
2000 acres, not exactly your backyard or a cage w a deer in it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 10:37:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Looking at the map it appears we will be somewhere in the Agua Nueva/Hebronville area.  I was told it is 60 miles from the border.  Last year they caught illegal Mexicans breaking into the lodge.  I'll also be packing the CZ P09
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 10:38:49 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Here's a deer taken at a high fence MLD (Loma Seca) near the border in west TX just like what OP is talking about.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=82982
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/upfiles/89167/44318D3BA60D467683D352B543B597EA.JPG

Here's a deer taken at a high fence MLD (Loma Seca) near the border in west TX just like what OP is talking about.

JESUS CHRISTO....I wish we had deer half that size in Arkansas
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 10:39:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have never seen a deer hunter in Texas wear blaze orange.

Link Posted: 11/22/2016 10:41:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Looking at the map it appears we will be somewhere in the Agua Nueva/Hebronville area.  I was told it is 60 miles from the border.  Last year they caught illegal Mexicans breaking into the lodge.  I'll also be packing the CZ P09
View Quote

60miles from Alice to Hebbronville.35 Miles farther inland, 35 or so miles farther south.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 10:44:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Here we go.

So do you have a problem with rasing cattle for beef? Most commercial beef is raised in deplorable conditions in close confinement, force fed a diet that it can't stay healthy on and then slaughtered. Presumably youre fine with that, but you have some moral objection to hunting a high fence outfit? Where the animals are afforded much more space, a diet and environment very close if not identical to their natural environment, and a death that come quickly and unsuspected? Come on, that's ridiculous. There is nothing morally or ethically objectionable with killing deer in a high fence operation.

All that said, personally I wouldnt call it hunting. It's just killing captive animals. There is nothing about it that's really "hunting". It's just shooting.  That's not to say the deer aren't amazing specimens, that taste delicious and make a beautiful mount. If that's your thing go for it. Nothing wrong with it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 10:48:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That came off an MLD that's tightly managed. It's not a cull, obviously, but it's not the highest scoring buck they've taken either.  Their biggest bucks last year were 5 and 6 years old so they'll go at least another year, likely 2, before they're harvested.  I spent a weekend there looking for hogs (never saw one, damnit) but got a real show with the white tail, axis, and blackbucks.

I suspect you'll see a lot of deer you can't shoot that will give you a boner though.  Just be damn sure you're shooting the correct deer!
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 10:51:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That came off an MLD that's tightly managed. It's not a cull, obviously, but it's not the highest scoring buck they've taken either.  Their biggest bucks last year were 5 and 6 years old so they'll go at least another year, likely 2, before they're harvested.  I spent a weekend there looking for hogs (never saw one, damnit) but got a real show with the white tail, axis, and blackbucks.

I suspect you'll see a lot of deer you can't shoot that will give you a boner though.  Just be damn sure you're shooting the correct deer!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Be a bad day to accidently shoot a $25000 buck instead of a cull.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 10:51:21 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Here's a deer taken at a high fence MLD (Loma Seco) near the border in west TX just like what OP is talking about.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn!

Link Posted: 11/22/2016 10:51:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Here we go.

So do you have a problem with rasing cattle for beef? Most commercial beef is raised in deplorable conditions in close confinement, force fed a diet that it can't stay healthy on and then slaughtered. Presumably youre fine with that, but you have some moral objection to hunting a high fence outfit? Where the animals are afforded much more space, a diet and environment very close if not identical to their natural environment, and a death that come quickly and unsuspected? Come on, that's ridiculous. There is nothing morally or ethically objectionable with killing deer in a high fence operation.

All that said, personally I wouldnt call it hunting. It's just killing captive animals. There is nothing about it that's really "hunting". It's just shooting.  That's not to say the deer aren't amazing specimens, that taste delicious and make a beautiful mount. If that's your thing go for it. Nothing wrong with it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here we go.

If you just want to go out and kill any old deer then a high fence is stupid easy.  Picking out a specific animal on 1800 acres during the rut, on the other hand, requires some real patience and discipline.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 10:54:04 AM EDT
[#25]
You need to ditch your basic trash and get a real rifle. Expect to pay at least $2000 for something quality.

JK, you're fine. Hunting is hunting, and you have a good range of versatility in that lineup.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 11:03:02 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

60miles from Alice to Hebbronville.35 Miles farther inland, 35 or so miles farther south.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post.  Are you familiar with this area or maybe even a member there?  Are you perhaps the guy that's friends with my friend and opening the invitation?
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 11:06:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post.  Are you familiar with this area or maybe even a member there?  Are you perhaps the guy that's friends with my friend and opening the invitation?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I worked in the oilfield for years out of Alice. The entire area around hebbronville is one giant oilfield area. I've almost certainly been on which ever ranch your hunting on.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 11:08:22 AM EDT
[#28]
You're fine.

Weather could be in the high 20s, or it could be in the 70s. That's S. Texas.

Where you headed?

The Hebbronville area has some great hunting.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 11:10:21 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

You're fine.

Where you headed?

View Quote

See the post above
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 11:15:58 AM EDT
[#30]

Opening weekend I wore shorts and a t-shirt. Last weekend required jeans and a jacket. As far as guns go, you are in good shape.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 11:19:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

See the post above
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You're fine.

Where you headed?

See the post above

I've hunted a lot on various ranches around hwy 16, but it looks like you may be A tad South of my old stomping grounds.

Advice:  go to Lala's in Mirando City for Mexican food, and Paraiso in Zapata for a chicken fried steak. You can thank me later :-)
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 11:24:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I've hunted a lot on various ranches around hwy 16, but it looks like you may be A tad South of my old stomping grounds.

Advice:  go to Lala's in Mirando City for Mexican food, and Paraiso in Zapata for a chicken fried steak. You can thank me later :-)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You're fine.

Where you headed?

See the post above

Paraiso is gtg. Best CFS in south Texas.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 11:25:06 AM EDT
[#33]
It depends, but weather can change.  While it rarely breaks 32 in South Texas.  It was 39 in my blind a few hundred les north Saturday morning.  Blind hunting involves sitting still and waiting.  Lack of movement makes it feel a lot colder than it is since you are not burning many calories.

As for NV/thermal.  High fence is a controlled hunting.  Unless told otherwise, I would expect their would be no night hunting, or NV/thermal would be available for guests.  That said, in Texas, we hunt over bait.  Hogs or more opportunistic than nocturnal.  We just went through a full moon, so perhaps they will be foraging more dawn/dusk when you arrive.  The last few nights they have been coming out to enjoy the moon.

---

The purpose of high fencing is genetic and population management.  Hig fence ranches so annual surveys and are allowed to cull hunt.  In addition, they can help with conservation of quality bucks-to lengthen their contribution to the gene pool.  Of course their is some selling of genetics, and it that has spread CWD.

Link Posted: 11/22/2016 11:31:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

I see the Derp showed up right on time.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 11:31:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It depends, but weather can change.  While it rarely breaks 32 in South Texas.  It was 39 in my blind a few hundred les north Saturday morning.  Blind hunting involves sitting still and waiting.  Lack of movement makes it feel a lot colder than it is since you are not burning many calories.

As for NV/thermal.  High fence is a controlled hunting.  Unless told otherwise, I would expect their would be no night hunting, or NV/thermal would be available for guests.  That said, in Texas, we hunt over bait.  Hogs or more opportunistic than nocturnal.  We just went through a full moon, so perhaps they will be foraging more dawn/dusk when you arrive.  The last few nights they have been coming out to enjoy the moon.
View Quote

The thing about blinds I've never figured out is how a blind that passes enough air through to freeze you to death in the morning cold is stifling hot with no airflow in the higher temps of the day.

For the non Texans: South Texan's stands are called blinds.

Link Posted: 11/22/2016 11:33:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

1800 acres? 3 fucking square miles is an aquarium to you?

Derp #2 right on time.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 11:35:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You're fine.

Where you headed?

See the post above

Is there a better CFS restaurant anywhere?
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 11:36:14 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

The thing about blinds I've never figured out is how a blind that passes enough air through to freeze you to death in the morning cold is stifling hot with no airflow in the higher temps of the day.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If you were in a prison camp they would put you in a blind as a form of torture.

Link Posted: 11/22/2016 11:44:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Your weaponry is fine; I'd anticipate just needing jeans and a long sleeve shirt, but bring some coveralls.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 11:46:18 AM EDT
[#40]
One last piece of advice, bring anything you might need with you. While most things are available in either hebbronville or Zapata the prices will be higher....especially during hunting season. Also brand choice can be rather limited.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 11:50:31 AM EDT
[#41]
Hebbronville? Go eat at Frank's cafe. Its an old hotel with a pool hall on one side and restaurant on the other. Covered in paintings of marylin Monroe.

25-06 will be fine there. Make sure you know the difference between a pig and javelina. Hunted that area for about 10 years until it go too expensive. Miss going to South Texas for a week at a time.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 11:51:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
One last piece of advice, bring anything you might need with you. While most things are available in either hebbronville or Zapata the prices will be higher....especially during hunting season. Also brand choice can be rather limited.
View Quote

Correct.

Laredo has mostly everything, but you're going to hunt, not to shop.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 11:52:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Some people are so classless they don't even know a fawn from a grown deer.
Getting that out of the way I hunt in south Texas and even though the weather is warm it can still get pretty chilly to down right below freezing cold.
So always carry warm clothing.
I prefer lightweight base layer insulated underwear and never go without a 200 gram fleece jacket.

I hunt in Frio and Zavalla counties but did get a chance to hunt in Brooks county near the border last year and one thing I quickly noticed was ever one to a man carried a side arm.
That last morning of the hunt was around 29 degrees and the guy I was with jumped an encampment of about 30 illegals sleeping in an oak mott around 7:00 a.m.
Now I know why they all carry side arms.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 11:55:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Also, practice shooting farther than 100 yards. Those senderos can allow for 300+ yard shots.

I hunted at hwy 16 and 3073 just south of town. We had a lot of issues with illegals due to the BP checkpoint being right there. The couotes would drop them on before going trough the checkpoint and thenpick them up west of town.

Link Posted: 11/22/2016 12:00:23 PM EDT
[#45]
are the deer on a leash, tied to a feeder... dropping corn flakes on the ground too?

Link Posted: 11/22/2016 12:02:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Also, practice shooting farther than 100 yards. Those senderos can allow for 300+ yard shots.

I hunted at hwy 16 and 3073 just south of town. We had a lot of issues with illegals due to the BP checkpoint being right there. The couotes would drop them on before going trough the checkpoint and thenpick them up west of town.

View Quote

This and remember that at this very point the assholes are absolutely flooding in trying to get here as they are being told to do so before Trump takes office.
So I will be very surprised if you do not see masses of them.
People that don't live in border states are generally clueless as to how bad this problem is and the closer you are to asshole center Mexico the worse it is.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 12:04:18 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
This and remember that at this very point the assholes are absolutely flooding in trying to get here as they are being told to do so before Trump takes office.

People that don't live in border states are generally clueless as to how bad this problem is and the closer you are to asshole center Mexico the worse it is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What are the rules of engagement in those situations
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 12:05:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

If you just want to go out and kill any old deer then a high fence is stupid easy.  Picking out a specific animal on 1800 acres during the rut, on the other hand, requires some real patience and discipline.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here we go.

Nah. It requires a fist full of money and the ability to sit in whatever blind your guide instructs you to sit in. From there you just shoot a deer.

Look I'm not bashing it. If you think it's fun more power to you. I don't have a problem with it. Just don't pretend it's anything like a real fair chase hunt. Those animals are typically carefully genetically managed herds that often include non native specimens. You don't have scout for those deer and find a whopper. No looking for sign, no countless hours of scouting, no time selecting stand sites and hanging stands or building blinds, no worrying that the monster you caught on game camera all summer is going to wander miles away come deer season. Non of that.

All you do is hand over a shit load of money and sit where your told and shoot at one of a wide selection of magnificent specimens that are only there because they're contained within a fence. Don't pretend it's anything else. Especially not a real fair chase hunt. Especially not on 1800 acres. When it comes to hunting deer, that's a teeny tiny little spec of land.

Again, not bashing it. I'm sure it's fun and thrilling to shoot one of those monsters. But it's not much different really than walking out into a cow pasture and shooting the nicest cow in the field.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 12:06:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stay the fuck away from them if possible. Don't have any interaction at all.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 12:08:18 PM EDT
[#50]
the 25-06 will be very much appreciated there. it is probably the perfect gun for South Texas. Muy Bueno..
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top