Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/30/2003 4:36:42 AM EDT
What can you tell me about the Ft. Sill area of Oklahoma?

My sister is getting ready to move to the area and get hitched.  I think they will be living off base.  Not 100% sure about that though.  He's 34 and she's 18, I'm not a big fan of the relationship.

Anyway, I'd like to know what to expect if I end up helping her move and what to tell her about the area.  I figure someone in the ARFCOM army knows something about the area.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 4:39:16 AM EDT
[#1]
That part of Oklahoma is really nice if you like brown!

I spent some time at Altus and driving to Lawton was a trip to the big city.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 4:46:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't know what all to tell you, but in some ways Lawton is a typical shitbird service town, but it does have some nice areas and some decent shopping. In fact, I would go as far as saying that it's fairly decent as service towns go.

Some of the outlying areas might not be bad for living, like Apache. However, if your sister is used to living in the city, she'll probably want to stay close to Lawton.

Lawton also has a college (Cameron University), if she's interested in pursuing a degree and Chickasha has a college that's not too far away (University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma), maybe 45 minutes or so.

Did you have any specific questions?
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 4:50:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Just wanted a general idea of what the area was like.  I've never been to OK, don't know what to expect.

We're from the sticks anyway (drive 30 minutes to get to the store), so she should feel right at home. [:)]

How's the crime in the area?  Should I take her pistol shopping before she leaves?
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 5:01:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Crime's not too terribly bad in that area. Around that part of Oklahoma it's mostly plains country.

The Wichita Mountains are nearby and make for some interesting sightseeing (Mount Scott).

Lots of Indians (Comanche, Apache, Kiowa, Cheyenne-Arapaho).

Several good places to eat (John & Cook's Barbecue isn't too bad).
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:21:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I was there from the June 7th to 22nd, and for a few months last fall.

Seemed to me to be the typical military town. Flat and sprawled out, with half-abandoned shops everywhere, plus a few strip-joints and a massage parlor or two.

Gets pretty hot there in the summer if you're not used to heat, with temps over 100.

The airport consists of a small building, from where you walk out the door onto the tarmac and climb stairs onto your airplane, probably some very small prop plane to ferry you to Dallas Fort-Worth.

It's about an hour from Oklahoma City.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:40:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Sucks!
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:12:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I just got back from Ft. Sill.  Lawton is your typical small town supporting a large military installation.  I looked in the paper and houses and apartments are fairly cheap.  Does she plan on working on post?  There are some fairly decent restaurants there if you like German or Korean food.  The mall is decent.  I went to a gun show there and it sucked except for the guy with a table full of (overpriced)preban ARs.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:57:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I have relatives that live down there and I was also stationed there before.
The town isn't too bad.
It has shopping malls and theaters and such.
Lots of ground rumling artilery.
There is a lot of stabbings and rapes there that really went on the increase through the 1990's.
Just outside of Lawton is a small town called Cache and it is very quiet and nice. Most people are very nice and down home and very low crime and very cheap rent.
Lots of strip clubs, fast food, used cars like all other mil towns.
Turner Falls isn't too far and they have 70'+ waterfall and it is crystal clear water and is a great swimming hole and camp grounds.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 9:03:35 PM EDT
[#9]
The nearby Wichita Mountain Wildlife Preserve is home to the largest herd of buffalo in the lower 48 States!

They used shots of the herd there for use in the movie, 'Dances With Wolves.'

And Ft. Sill is around 100 miles from the Hun Farm!

So whenever you come down to visit your sister, come see us all at the Hun Farm!

We will make it worth the extra effort to come visit with us!

BTW, the Apache Chief, Geronimo, was a longtime prisoner in the jail located at Ft. Sill.

Go see their exhibit!

Eric The(I'veGotTexasInMyHeartAndOklahomaInMyLungs)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 9:26:55 PM EDT
[#10]

Fort Sill: It is the home of the US Field Artillery. It is a large post with a big modern PX, but little else. The MPs are bored to death and ticket-happy, so watch your speed on post. Geronimo's gaurd house is located in the old part of the Fort with a lot of other frontier buildings, including a large walled corral that served as a sort of "keep;" a final defensive fortification in the event the post was overrun.

Lawton: big, flat, and dreary. Typical G.I. town with lots of pawnshops, fast food joints, bars, and strip clubs. If you like tatoos, you will have to travel to Texas to get one because it is not allowed in Oklahoma.

Weather: hot and humid in summer, cold in winter. Tornadoes are fairly common.

Good luck to you and your sister. The Lawton area can be a good place to live; it all depends on what you make of it. Treat yourself to a hamburger at "Whataburger," you will be glad you did!

Wichita Mountain Wildlife Preserve is a fantastic place if you like to rub elbows with rare wildlife. And the views from the mountain tops are spectacular. If I recall correctly, they allow a buffalo shoot once a year to keep the herd from outgrowing their food-source. The thousands of prairie dogs present are off limits, however.

Panzer Out

Link Posted: 6/30/2003 9:59:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Ah the Lawton/Ft. Sill area. Old memories as I grew up as a military brat. We always called the area the armpit of America. Spent 1st,2nd,3rd, half of 8th, 9th, 10th, and 11th grades their. 2nd and 3rd on base, rest in Rotten Public schools. It's defiently a GI town. We use to party out at the wildlife refuge. Each spring break was eight kegs of beer from Ft. Sill. Also big parties at Montego Bay Motel. Used to do the disco era shit at the Bus Station Bar back then.
 If you want I could give you a tour on or off base. My brother still has a friend their. Most all my friends that I went to school with moved away. I've only been back once since 1980. And it was still the same. BORING!

Talk some damm sense into your sister. She's to youg for him. She's just hitting the part of her life she should enjoy being single. Also as most ladies say finding themselves. I had a girlfriend that her dad owened the Pickel Pool halls. God was she hot! I still can't believe I broke up with her to this day.

Good Luck in talking some sense into her. But if she goes she can go to UCLA (University of Cameron Lawton Area) College. I used to play high school football their.
 Let us know what happens.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 11:37:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Got friends in Duncan, bout an hour east of there.  Headquarters of Halliburton is there and there are a few more of the big sity cultural amenities.

Mears BBQ was an interesting place to eat.  The Preserve is interesting.

Been to a lot of better places, been to a lot worse too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top