Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2003 10:50:54 PM EDT
This place is turning into the next DU, i just cant frigging take it anymore.
just kidding [:D]

Tuesday afternoon im headed up to Great Lakes for boot camp. I made the thread a little early in case anyone had a question or whatever. Dont worry, ill be back to troll another day [:P]

in case i wasted your time, heres something to give you the 15 seconds of your life back [:)]

[img]http://members.cox.net/xoc5151/kimber2.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 3:25:37 AM EDT
[#1]
GOOD LUCK!!
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 3:33:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I was formulating a proper response until I saw your WMD's.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 3:35:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 3:38:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Where's the food, tape measure, bowling ball and stapler?  They always forget the stapler!
Good luck [;)]
View Quote

... He's on a crash diet.

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 3:41:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 3:44:57 AM EDT
[#6]

Davis Bessy is waiting for you.. [;)]

Marine issue is a 45 isnt it?  

Good Luck..  are the walleye running yet?
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 4:35:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Tuesday afternoon im headed up to Great Lakes for boot camp. I made the thread a little early in case anyone had a question or whatever. Dont worry, ill be back to troll another day [:P]
View Quote

Good Luck.  I took my Navy basic at Great Lakes back in the 60's.  Be glad your not going there in the winter.  That place gets mighty cold.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 5:00:31 AM EDT
[#8]
I went to GL in the 70's, during Jun/Jul/Aug and I'll take the winter anytime. Things have changed quite a bit since then, but all I remember is the heat and humidity, especially during the firefighting training. The teargas chamber was also a blast. The heat opens up the pores in your skin, that with combining with your sweat makes the teargas burn like hell.

I'm sure things have changed. They probably don't let you outside if it goes above 85 degrees!
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 5:02:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:36:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Good luck and and Godspeed.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:43:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Godspeed!
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:58:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:59:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Navy. Good choice. Air conditioning, hot food, shower. EVERY day........

Not to mention the fact, most arabs can't swim!! [:D]

Anchors aweigh shipmate!!!

Do you know your MOS yet??
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 1:20:08 AM EDT
[#14]
yessir, im going into the nuclear field, hopefully with MM as my A school.

ill try and check the thread again before i leave

thanks for the kind words [:)]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 1:27:36 AM EDT
[#15]
The K-Bar is nice.  You can get them with USN on the blade and sheath(I have one)!  Nothing agsainst the USMC though.

Keep your mouth shut and be squared away.  Follow everything they tell you to do to the letter.  They will test you constantly the first few weeks.  Trying to push your buttons.  Navy boot isn't as physically demanding as some other services but what it lacks in that dept they make up for in the mental games they play.  One CC will give you an order and another comes right behind and gives you one 180.  Then the first comes back and asks WTF you ignored his order.  All to see if you can adapt.  Go with it, don't get flustered and frustrated and you'll be fine.  

Also, try to enjoy it as weird as it sounds.  You will only have this experience once in your life and the things they will teach you will follow you all of your life.  In my experience Great Lakes was the easiest 9 weeks of my life!  Seriously  
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 3:05:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Have a good time and be safe out there ;)
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 6:35:29 AM EDT
[#17]
The yelling started the minute we got off the train.

All those personal goodies were confiscated, like cigarettes, aftershave, food & snacks.
Forget your CD player, cell phone etc.  There's very little extra stuff you really need, and your chance of using it if you don't lose it, are probably very slim.  Paper, pen, stamps are good.  

Firefighting school was the best part to me.
Loved the wild hose and the burning magnesium.

The snot house wasn't that bad.

Another time in the winter we had to carry all the food into the mess hall due to the snow being too deep for the truck.  It had drifted up to the top of the windows.  Cold, but you couldn't walk around with your hands in your pockets.

You won't be seeing the strip for a while.  

Have fun.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:00:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Have fun. Be safe.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:06:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 8:40:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Good Luck
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 8:44:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Hint:  Keep your answers straight on your SF86..they will 'lose' it and ask you to fill out another one..then show you both of them and ask you to explain the inconsistencies.

YMMV,
QS
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top