Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2003 6:03:50 PM EDT
This may be totally lame and out dated. I was at the range yesterday and one of the rangemasters had a printed copy of photos of a huge Grizzly shot in Alaska recently. Also were photos of a hiker who was apparently became a snack of the 12 foot tall beast. The question is... does anyone have these PHOTOS??? Again sorry if this is rehashing old shit, but was the first I'd seen or heard of it. --RR
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 6:11:19 PM EDT
[#1]
[url]http://www.snopes.com/photos/bearhunt.asp[/url]

Bears won't hurt you if you leave them alone.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 6:19:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Bears WILL kill you.
White bears worst.
Brown bears BAD.
Black bears bad.
[url]http://abcnews.go.com/sections/world/WorldNewsTonight/polarbear030530.html[/url]
[url]http://www.algonquin-eco-watch.com/ecotourism.htm[/url]
[url]http://www.alaska-bear-pictures.com/Bear_Attacks/bear_attacks.html[/url]
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 6:22:07 PM EDT
[#3]
ahhh got it... I see the victim thing and all that was BS. --RR
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 6:39:47 PM EDT
[#4]
The reason the bear didn't eat his thing,is things go better with coke!

Bob [:D]
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 7:01:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Dont fuck with bears. Big bears are VERY dangerous.
A 200 lb black bear is probably not a threat under most encounters.
Any white or brown bear is a threat. A big black male bear or sow with cubs is definitely dangerous.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 7:13:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Even though the photo of the chewed hiker is not related to the bear story, according to snopes it's still [:X*].  I guess the closer to the bone, the sweeter is the meat. [puke]
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 7:21:46 PM EDT
[#7]
(AP) PHOENIX, AZ

In light of the rising frequency of human - grizzly bear conflicts, the Arizona Department of Fish and Game is advising hikers, hunters and fishermen to take extra precautions and keep alert for bears while in the field.

"We advise that outdoorsmen wear noisy little bells on their clothing so as not to startle bears that aren't expecting them. We also advise outdoorsmen to carry pepper spray with them in case of an encounter with a bear.

"It is also a good idea to watch out for fresh signs of bear activity. Outdoorsmen should recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear droppings. Black bear droppings are smaller and contain lots of berries and squirrel fur. Grizzly bear droppings have little bells in them and they smell like pepper."
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 7:26:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
(AP) PHOENIX, AZ

In light of the rising frequency of human - grizzly bear conflicts, the Arizona Department of Fish and Game is advising hikers, hunters and fishermen to take extra precautions and keep alert for bears while in the field.

"We advise that outdoorsmen wear noisy little bells on their clothing so as not to startle bears that aren't expecting them. We also advise outdoorsmen to carry pepper spray with them in case of an encounter with a bear.

"It is also a good idea to watch out for fresh signs of bear activity. Outdoorsmen should recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear droppings. Black bear droppings are smaller and contain lots of berries and squirrel fur. Grizzly bear droppings have little bells in them and they smell like pepper."
View Quote

[LOLabove]

Link Posted: 6/29/2003 7:38:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Polar bears are land sharks. Nature assigned them the job of catching, killing and eating, and they are dammed good at doing their job. Nothing personal though...
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 7:40:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
(AP) PHOENIX, AZ

View Quote

Dannnnnng....

Seriously, I've never hunted bear but I have done a great deal of backpacking in the high sierras. We never had a bear attrack but we did find that if they want your pack or your food they're isn't much you can do to stop em. I'm talking 16 years old and unarmed in the wilderness. My friend tried running at one bear that was eating his backpack.... he made a real quick reverse in direction when the bear leaped at him and growled. No, harm done but we knew then.... don't fuck with bears!
--RR

Link Posted: 6/29/2003 7:45:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Retrodog's rule about bears:

If you see a bear, run away. If he chases you, shoot him dead. If you shoot him dead, have a bear steak for dinner.

Then later, you can send me a claw.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 7:55:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Always bring along someone who's slower than you when you go into bear country.

Also, that pepper spray bear repellent?  It doesn't go on like mosquito repellent.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 8:04:03 PM EDT
[#13]
yeah, then there was the two hunters driving down the road.... they came across a road sign that said "bare left"... so... they went home
--RR

edited to credit that one to the late Henny Youngman
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 8:08:19 PM EDT
[#14]
The size of that bear...FUCK!!!

I won't go into grizzly territory without a freaking Browning M2 with five boxes of belts mounted on a HMMWV, now!

On a slightly related topic, Bart the bear, the large (1500 pound) grizzly that was seen in many movies and the Grizzly Adams series,  died recently.

[url]http://bartbear.tripod.com/[/url]

Cut and paste if link doesn't work:
http://bartbear.tripod.com/

[img]http://bartbear.tripod.com/newphoto.jpg[/img]

http://bartbear.tripod.com/newphoto.jpg

CJ

Link Posted: 6/29/2003 8:10:41 PM EDT
[#15]
And If that had endeed been a big bear that started eating that hikeing dude,there would have been nothing left to photograph that you would recognize!    Of course If I ever did shoot a big griz ,I would send picts of a man eating Grizz(me)!

Big Bears Rule!    Bob [:D]
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 9:41:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
[url]http://www.snopes.com/photos/bearhunt.asp[/url]
View Quote

shiiiitt...
Now THAT should be brought up for when the democraps say we dont need full auto AK's or FAL's for hunting, Or bolt .50's for that matter.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 10:44:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Black Bears are not very dangerous. I started bow hunting them when I was 12. Brown bears are another story, but nothing to get excited about. a .45-70 Guide Gun or big bore revolver solves all bear problems.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 11:04:49 PM EDT
[#18]
i'm gonna go out on a linb here & say that the pic of the eaten dude was probably a naturalist granola eating hiking peace creep. no big loss.

bear 1, hippie 0

i would've left that kick ass bear alone. (i'm not anti-hunter or anything). but we can't expect to go into their territory, feed 'em sandwiches, and then shoot them for attacking people.

i live in the most over developed area, i miss seeing cool critters, and sparse land. seeing a deer or a bear nowadays just reminds me of how things used to be. that's how i personally cherrish it. that's why i don't hunt anymore.

hopefully i won't get too much abuse from this.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 7:58:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
And If that had endeed been a big bear that started eating that hikeing dude,there would have been nothing left to photograph that you would recognize!    Of course If I ever did shoot a big griz ,I would send picts of a man eating Grizz(me)!

Big Bears Rule!    Bob [:D]
View Quote

Suppose a Raccoon did all that damage? [:O]

Hey maybe this thread has potential to break out into Henny Youngman one liners....

The food on the plane was fit for a king. "Here, King!"

My doctor grabbed me by the wallet and said "Cough!"

A man goes to a psychiatrist. The doctor says "You're crazy" The man says "I want a second opinion!" "Okay, you're ugly too!"

"Doctor, I have a ringing in my ears." "Don't answer!"

A drunk was in front of a judge. The judge says "You've been brought here for drinking." The drunk says "Okay, let's get started."

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top