Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2003 6:55:28 AM EDT
Snap-On is not in my price range so I am looking for advice on which tools to buy. I'm a shadetree mechanic who is trying to buy a 67 Chevelle that needs some work.

Of course, I need new tools. Craftsman I know about and have had generally good luck with them- but Lowe's sells Kobalt and Home Depot sells Husky- all with a lifetime guarantee- all fairly reasonable in price.

What do you folks think? Any others that I should look at?
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 7:00:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Go with the Craftsman, I dont know if they are any better then the others but I do know that theres a butt load of Sears stores out there if they do break and you need to get a replacement. You can always count on a Sears store being close by.

BKVic
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 7:09:07 AM EDT
[#2]
CRAFTSMAN!!!!
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 7:14:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Craftsman[^]
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 7:15:16 AM EDT
[#4]
For whatever it's worth, I have heard rumors that Craftsman is rethinking their lifetime guarantee.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 7:37:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I have all brands of tools in my box. I recently got Kobalt which is by Williams tool co. a Div. of Snap-On. Or so the literature stated with the sets. I like the feel and finish of the kobalt myself.

YMMV

MM419
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 8:00:00 AM EDT
[#6]
if you buy on sale, craftsman should be far less expensive than either of the other two brands. have you decided on which size set to buy yet? there are several options and some make much more sense than others for an automotvie project.

Quoted:
For whatever it's worth, I have heard rumors that Craftsman is rethinking their lifetime guarantee.
View Quote

i wouldnt be surprised. i've seen it abused by so many idiots, i'm surprised it lasted this long. at the very least, sears should have some kind of clause that exempts "gross misuse" from replacement.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 9:34:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Handtools- Craftsman, Kobalt, or Husky??
View Quote

I use all three and all are great for my uses but I have found some "Husky" that are not US made. I try to "Buy American" as much as possible.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 9:59:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Snap-on!  Spendy...   But when you make your living with tools, the best is the way to go.

MAC is a close second.

The Pig.

Link Posted: 6/29/2003 10:09:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Craftsman
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 10:25:18 AM EDT
[#10]
you forgot the one manufacturer that beats snapon, FACOM! they make beautiful stuff. of course, it's hard to beat craftsman.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 10:37:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Looks like it'll be Craftsman but I'm picking up a set of Kobalt ratchets as well- really like them.

Not sure what size "kit" to buy at Sears as I don't need five dozen hex wrenches or some wimpy ass nut drivers. Or those cheap screw driver bits...

Link Posted: 6/29/2003 10:45:17 AM EDT
[#12]
the raised ridge on the craftsman wrenches hurts your hands with lots of use. in fact, all their tools seem to be anti-ergonomic! i like the kobalt ones a bit more. they also seem to have a better forging in the box ends of the wrenches.

i mostly have snap-on though...

:)
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 10:53:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Snap-on for work, craftsman for home. Of course I do not do sidework some home tools gets far less work.
I have broken a few Huskys and am not too sure about Kobalt.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 11:10:44 AM EDT
[#14]
I would buy snap-on or craftsman.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 11:19:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Huskey is made by Stanley and all of their stuff is now made in Taiwan.

I would go with Craftsman or Kobalt but be sure you get Craftman's proffessional line. Some of their lower end stuff is foriegn made crap.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 11:25:23 AM EDT
[#16]
I buy Craftsman now. I am boycotting Crap-On after the guy made me rebuild my 80$ screwdriver instead of replacing it...

Rob
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 11:35:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Handtools- Craftsman, Kobalt, or Husky??
View Quote

I use all three and all are great for my uses but I have found some "Husky" that are not US made. I try to "Buy American" as much as possible.
View Quote

In terms of tools I find the USA ones, even the bargins ones are the best over its foreign made counterparts(i.e. China India etc.)
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 11:59:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 12:32:59 PM EDT
[#19]
hey a320az, its the snap on dealer who makes the decision to fix or replace. i spend a ass load of money on them , but mabey thats why he doesnt give me any grief about replacing them. and by the way craftsman and s-k sockets are crap.  dave
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 12:41:32 PM EDT
[#20]
I'd go with Craftsman.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 12:55:29 PM EDT
[#21]
I would say Craftsman.

I am not a professional mechanic, as two of my uncles are (one is the head mechanic for our town highway dept., the other for a big ready-mix concrete company). They both like Snap-On or S-K, one or the other. Thing is, they bought their tools yeeeears ago, and have gotten back their money many times over through steady use.

For the weekend warrior like myself, you cannot beat Craftsman. The quality is decent, the price is too, and the guarantee is the best in the business.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 1:51:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Craftsman for availability of vendors. Ever been somewhere without some manner of Sears nearby?

IIRC, Kobalt is a subsidiary of Snap-on. I've never been all that impressed with the tool selection in the stores. That being said, both of my rollaways are Kobalt (really Stack-on, but I like the now discontinued "Dillon" blue color, it goes well with my press!), and have a few other items too.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 2:34:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 2:34:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Skip those over-priced brand name tools.  You are a shadetree mechanic, not Mr. Goodwrench.  Head on down to Harbor Freight and buy 2 or 3 of everything.  Spend the money you save on cold beer, for after you get done wrenching.

[url]http://www.harborfreight.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 2:39:56 PM EDT
[#25]
BTW, unless you are getting the combination box end wrenches as part of a set, go for the GearWrench ratcheting box end wrenches instead.
[img]http://store3.yimg.com/I/autotoolexpress_1745_15899859[/img]
Sears carries them too, as well as a 5 degree offset reversible version. I've been quite happy with the regular flat version, and feel that if if I couldn't get the flat wrench in, a socket on a ratchet could.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 2:40:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 2:58:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
BTW, unless you are getting the combination box end wrenches as part of a set, go for the GearWrench ratcheting box end wrenches instead.
[url]http://store3.yimg.com/I/autotoolexpress_1745_15899859[/url]
Sears carries them too, as well as a 5 degree offset reversible version. I've been quite happy with the regular flat version, and feel that if if I couldn't get the flat wrench in, a socket on a ratchet could.
View Quote

Gunny, I couldn't agree with you more about the Gear Wrenches.  I have had a set in my work took box for almost 2 years and I have found that I use them every day.  I have the long and stubby set and they are great.

Also between the 3 listed brands of tools in the topic, I would go with the Craftsman tools.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 3:11:45 PM EDT
[#28]
I gotta tell you guys this. Every time we go to Sears, I insist we enter through the tool dept. and I tell the wife I'd like to linger some.

She takes off and I browse. Gotta love tools.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 3:12:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Another vote for gear wrenches.  Also, Craftsman sockets don't suck.  I've used regular ones on my impact wrenches and had no probs.  They are pretty tough.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 4:30:36 PM EDT
[#30]
If you are not going to work as a pro-mechanic, then Craftsman are your best bet. I use all kinds of tools as a mechanic, I like Snap-On for thier ratchets, wrenches and sockets over most others, but I have just about every brand in my box. Personally I would stay away from the pre-arranged Craftsman sets. They seem like a good deal but most of that stuff is rarely used. You are working on a '67 Chevelle so you don't really need metric tools right now and that's nearly half the set anyway. Plus the wrenches that come in them are hard on the hands and way too short. Craftsman makes a very good long wrench set now that is fully polished and much better quality than thier standard set, I think it's the proffessional series wrench. Looks like Craftsman is the majority here. Post some pics of the Chevelle when you can. EDIT: Gear Wrenches are worth every penny. I have four sets including the master set and I also use them every day at the shop without fail. The only problem with them is that you can't use them to break bolts loose or torque them down. I've broken a number of them like that so I use a regular wrench to break them loose, then the gear wrench to crank the bolts off fast.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 4:55:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Craftsman.

'nuff said.

Link Posted: 6/30/2003 3:51:46 AM EDT
[#32]
I just broke my Kobalt 3/8" long handled socket wrench.  I'll take it back to Lowe's or Home Depot and see if the life long warranty works.

I like my Craftsman's stuff.

Merlin
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 5:16:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Not sure what size "kit" to buy at Sears as I don't need five dozen hex wrenches or some wimpy ass nut drivers. Or those cheap screw driver bits...

View Quote

In that case, the Kobalt or some second hand Snap-On. I don't think it makes any sense to buy  Craftsman by the piece...except for maybe a few of the better quality specialized items.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 5:42:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Craftsman, hands-down.

I refuse to buy any other brand. Their quality is top-notch, and the warranty can't be beat.

Never tried Snap-On, though....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top