Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2001 4:17:23 AM EDT
In Austrailia such a thing would not have happend a few years ago
when firearms were readily available and honest people were free to
own and carry them...
[url]http://asia.dailynews.yahoo.com/headlines/world/afp/article.html?s=asia/headlines/010501/world/afp/Tourists_to_blame_for__super__dingoes_in_boy_s_killing.html[/url]
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 9:03:44 AM EDT
[#1]
From reading the article, it sounds like the family was on vacation.  Unless the recent gun ban in Australia significantly reduced the number of Australian tourists that carried weapons while camping on remote islands, I'm not sure the result would have been any different.  What are the dingo attack statistics for the pre-ban period?
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 9:07:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't think the dingos don't know about Australia's gun laws.
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 1:18:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Where's Bill Wallace and his gaggle of animal rights activists in this thread? They would probably want to give the dog a big hug and maybe even a medal for doing what it is "genetically programmed" to.
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 2:00:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Where's Bill Wallace and his gaggle of animal rights activists in this thread? They would probably want to give the dog a big hug and maybe even a medal for doing what it is "genetically programmed" to.
View Quote
                                             BILL WALLACE FOR PRESIDENT!......(not).....................[smoke]......[heavy]
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 3:39:45 PM EDT
[#5]
As much as I hate to say it I really doubt that the change to the firarms laws here in 96 would have had much influence on this situation.  As a rule alothough prior to 96 there was a fairly high percentage of firearm ownership....(and there still is)...in Australia firarms were/are generally not carried as much in the US....it is not common or example to take a firearm on a family camping trip...(such as the case in question)...more likly that it would only be packed for a planned hunting trip.  Add to the fact that I believe...(I may be incorrect) that Fraser Island is a National Park then it would have been illegal to carry there anyway.

I am not saying that our firarms laws here hav'nt contributed to many other serious incidents but I really do not believe that this is one of those cases.  At the end of the day what has happened here is a bad case of complacency whn dealing with wild animals....(and before I get a rocket...I hunt/fish and spend 1/2 my life in the outdoor and I am in no an animal rights activist !!)...these folks have gone into the area asuming that these dogs are part of a free petting zoo....when in fact they are following their instincts as wild animals do.

Would I shoot a Dingo.....of course...I have and will again...the two responsible for this were killed just after.

Andy
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 6:00:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks.  That's what I thought.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top