Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2003 7:17:52 PM EDT
What are the rules? Carry, and automobile rules.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 7:29:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Go to packing.org for the best info.  Currently no CCW unless LEO.  In car, gun must be unloaded and not accessable to driver.  Trunk is best, locked case acceptable too.  Go the the above site for better info.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 7:30:45 PM EDT
[#2]
For ease of explanation, there is NO carry in Ohio.  

You firearm must be locked in the trunk of your vehicle and unloaded.  The law states that it can not be accessible to the driver or passengers with out exiting the vehicle.  

Here's a look at the actual law too:
§ 2923.16 Improperly handling firearms in a motor vehicle.

(A) No person shall knowingly discharge a firearm while in or on a motor vehicle.

(B) No person shall knowingly transport or have a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle in such a manner that the firearm is accessible to the operator or any passenger without leaving the vehicle.

(C) No person shall knowingly transport or have a firearm in a motor vehicle, unless it is unloaded and is carried in one of the following ways:

(1) In a closed package, box, or case;

(2) In a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle;

(3) In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for the purpose;

(4) In plain sight with the action open or the weapon stripped, or, if the firearm is of a type on which the action will not stay open or which cannot easily be stripped, in plain sight.

(D)(1) This section does not apply to officers, agents, or employees of this or any other state or the United States, or to law enforcement officers, when authorized to carry or have loaded or accessible firearms in motor vehicles and acting within the scope of their duties.

(2) Division (A) of this section does not apply to a person if all of the following circumstances apply:

(a) The person discharges a firearm from a motor vehicle at a coyote or groundhog, the discharge is not during the deer gun hunting season as set by the chief of the division of wildlife of the department of natural resources, and the discharge at the coyote or groundhog, but for the operation of this section, is lawful.

(b) The motor vehicle from which the person discharges the firearm is on real property that is located in an unincorporated area of a township and that either is zoned for agriculture or is used for agriculture.

(c) The person owns the real property described in division (D)(2)(b) of this section, is the spouse or a child of another person who owns that real property, is a tenant of another person who owns that real property, or is the spouse or a child of a tenant of another person who owns that real property.

(d) The person does not discharge the firearm in any of the following manners:

(i) While under the influence of alcohol, a drug of abuse, or alcohol and a drug of abuse;

(ii) In the direction of a street, highway, or other public or private property used by the public for vehicular traffic or parking;

(iii) At or into an occupied structure that is a permanent or temporary habitation;

(iv) In the commission of any violation of law, including, but not limited to, a felony that includes, as an essential element, purposely or knowingly causing or attempting to cause the death of or physical harm to another and that was committed by discharging a firearm from a motor vehicle.

(3) Divisions (B) and (C) of this section do not apply to a person if all of the following circumstances apply:

(a) At the time of the alleged violation of either of those divisions, the person is the operator of or a passenger in a motor vehicle.

(b) The motor vehicle is on real property that is located in an unincorporated area of a township and that either is zoned for agriculture or is used for agriculture.

(c) The person owns the real property described in division (D)(3)(b) of this section, is the spouse or a child of another person who owns that real property, is a tenant of another person who owns that real property, or is the spouse or a child of a tenant of another person who owns that real property.

(d) The person, prior to arriving at the real property described in division (D)(3)(b) of this section, did not transport or possess a firearm in the motor vehicle in a manner prohibited by division (B) or (C) of this section while the motor vehicle was being operated on a street, highway, or other public or private property used by the public for vehicular traffic or parking.

(E) The affirmative defenses contained in divisions (C)(1) and (2) of section 2923.12 of the Revised Code are affirmative defenses to a charge under division (B) or (C) of this section.

(F) Whoever violates this section is guilty of improperly handling firearms in a motor vehicle. Violation of division (A) or (B) of this section is a misdemeanor of the first degree. Violation of division (C) of this section is a misdemeanor of the fourth degree.

(G) As used in this section:

(1) "Motor vehicle," "street," and "highway" have the same meanings as in section 4511.01 of the Revised Code.

(2) "Occupied structure" has the same meaning as in section 2909.01 of the Revised Code.

(3) "Agriculture" has the same meaning as in section 519.01 of the Revised Code.

(4) "Tenant" has the same meaning as in section 1531.01 of the Revised Code.

(5) "Unloaded" means, with respect to a firearm employing a percussion cap, flintlock, or other obsolete ignition system, when the weapon is uncapped or when the priming charge is removed from the pan.

View Quote
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 8:03:36 PM EDT
[#3]
jesus....who the FUCK would want to live in a communist shit hole like OHIO???? What am I supposed to do if me and my NEW wife get attacked? Call fucking 911??
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 8:15:14 PM EDT
[#4]
[stick] Christ, most of it ain't that bad.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 8:32:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I will rely on NO ONE to defend me or mine. It is my job, my number 1 responsibliity. #2 is to provide food, and #3 is to provide entertainment.:)

When a state tells me it is ILLEGAL to possess the most effective means of my prefered mutual defense method, something is wrong.

Link Posted: 6/28/2003 8:37:05 PM EDT
[#6]
It's for the [s]Children[/s] carjackers!

We wouldn't want them to get hurt by someone resisting, would we?
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 8:41:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Concealed means concealed, and I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

The only time you're going to run into a problem is if your vehicle is searched (not likely) or if you have to use the weapon (again, not very likely).
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 8:47:58 PM EDT
[#8]
YUP, I agree. I carried in Las Vegas, even in the ALLADIN!! HAHAHA. No permit. If you do it right, no one knows. But I will be around alot of relatives that i dont know, IE IN-laws. I cant see acting like i have a weird disease for 10days. Never bending over and always shying away from being touched on my right side. I guess i will have to go without. ANy of you ohioans wanna loan me a usp .45 with a silencer and a pair of NODs?
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 9:54:01 PM EDT
[#9]
If our Governor wasn't such a @%*&^%, we would have CCW by now.  Not many people in this state seem to understand that all other states have had success w/ their CCW.  Like Ohioans are going to be different than all other people in the US if they give us CCW.  

The CCW law that's been up for debate recently is becoming more and more perverse every time it hits the floor.  The Gov. said he wouldn't back it if the Highway Patrol wouldn't back it.  The Highway Patrol said they wouldn't back it if it allowed people to carry in vehicles.  So, they came up w/ a compromise that said you wouldn't be able to carry in a vehicle if their was an occupent under the age of 18 (i.e. you could carry in your car if you FAMILY was w/ you!).  

This state is for sucks!
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 11:37:29 AM EDT
[#10]
I live in Herr Taft's Democratic People's Republic of Ohio.  I got a letter from a State Rep the other day, calling Herr Taft all sorts of nasty things, such as a Tax and Spend Liberal.  Fuhrer Taft is allegedly a Republican.  I hate that @$$hole who is denying Ohioans the right of self defence.  I can't wait till he is gone.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 1:28:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
jesus....who the FUCK would want to live in a communist shit hole like OHIO???? What am I supposed to do if me and my NEW wife get attacked? Call fucking 911??
View Quote

Apparently, not you.

(By the by, any strong feelings about Ohio?)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top