Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2003 6:18:44 PM EDT
Hi Folks,

Does anyone use an "Invisable Fence" to keep their pooch from escaping?  I have a Standard Poodle that leaps over a 4 foot fence like it wasnt there.

I see them for 150-250 bucks if I install it myself-How hard can it be to bury a wire?  Neighbors and such have said it costs 1500.00+ bucks.

So oh wise ones what's the read scoop?
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 6:29:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Do it, they work great.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 6:30:06 PM EDT
[#2]
its easy to install yourself, the big trick is training your pooch, it isnt a matter of jus puttin it in and letting them go, ya have to train them to know where the borders are, otherwise they could take off running and pass through it. the cost depends on how big yard is, i think.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 6:41:58 PM EDT
[#3]
My g/f keeps threatening to put one of those around the licquor cabinet.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 6:50:06 PM EDT
[#4]
If you don't want the front yard dug completely up then don't put it around the front.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 7:06:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I saw one model that instead of using wires it used a transmitter with a variable power output.  As long as the receiver collar could get a signal from the transmitter, it would not shock the dog, of course you would not be able to precisely define the boundaries with this set up, but you don't have to bury any wires either.  I've also heard of a few dogs who will get a full head of steam and just blast through the "forbidden zone" taking a hit or two on the way out of the yard, but as long as they don't come back in they don't get shocked again, which the wireless model prevents.

Food for thought....
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 7:34:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Have you looked on [url=http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2F&krd=1&from=R8&MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&ht=1&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&query=invisible+fence]EBAY[/url]?
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 7:43:51 PM EDT
[#7]
My parents had it for their two dogs, and it worked for about two weeks.  They're tough little shits, and felt the reward of freedom was worth the shock.  They'd run balls to the wall, cross the line, twitch, and keep running.  
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 8:06:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Is one Brand/Type better then another???
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 8:25:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Our dogs used to run right past the wire.  You'd see them when the shock hit, but they figured the freedom was worth it.

Now we have a welded wire T post fence with an hot strand around the top and bottom.  Needless to say, they stay in the yard now...
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 8:48:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I installed one and it has worked well.  For years now.  But they are no perfect.  Most important is your type and size of dog.  My dog is an Austrailian shepard (kind of nervous) so it works well cause she doesn't like the shock.  But she has run through it at times.  Some dogs will just run through it.  Also, important is to train the dog young (but not too young) so that they develop a fear of the wire.  Now my dog won't even go through the wire if it stops working for days (she's developed the habit.  Maintenance is a burden with the system.   The collar receivers don't last forever (I've been through 3) and you have to change batteries, and worst of all, the wire is only about 3-inches deep, and I've cut it (aerating the lawn [rolleyes].  It's not too hard to install.  I had to cross my asphalt driveway, so used a rented diamond saw to put a groove across it.  then layed the wire in the groove and cemented it with asphalt sealer.  All in all it's been cheaper than a fence and has worked.

If your dog is jumping fences, it may already be too old for this system (but maybe not).  It works better when they're trained young.  Call [url]www.radiofence.com[/url] for advice.  They are experts, had the best prices (that I found) and the have been very good to deal with.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top