Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2003 2:12:09 PM EDT
I posted last week about wanting to change out an outdoor light socket for a gfi outlet.  Well, I bought all the stuff I need, turned off power and took off the socket.  Here's my problem:  the ground wire that was on the socket went from the the socket itself to a mounting bracket for the fixture....that's it.  So I'm looking for the ground wire and this is what I've got inside the box:  2 sets of white\black wires and then two green wires and one bare copper wire that are soldered together and not hooked to anything (the two greens and the copper).  So, where the hell is my ground?  WHat are the two green wires and why are they soldered to what I assume is the ground wire I need to complete the install of the outlet?  I'm completely stuck until I can figure out where the ground is.  Any help?
Thanks,

ZERO

BTW, there are two cables coming into the box, one green, one white, one black wire coming out tof the first cable, then the other cable has one one green, one white, one black and I think the copper wire.  The black and white wires being used to power that socket are coming from different cables...
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 2:33:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Ok, I just looked again and the copper ground that's soldered to the two green wires is not a part of either of the cables, it is attached to a screw in the back of the box.  SO, can I assume that that's my ground and I just need to clip it from the solder and then continue with the wiring?  Or is it that both the green wires are grounds and they're soldered to the bare copper which is simply tying both grounds to the box?

--ZERO
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 2:56:06 PM EDT
[#2]
You are correct. The green wires and the bare cooper are all grounds. So it sounds like you have it figured out. But do not clip it from the box. It is what is bonding the box to your grounding system. If you are installing a receptacl, it should have a ground from it to the rest of them.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 3:15:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks!  What I've got is a box that was installed when the bricks were laid.  The two grounds from the two cables are tied in to that box.  What I'm going to be doing is putting a waterproof GFI box externally on the bricks, over that old box.  So, it sounds like I need to run a ground from the terminal of the outlet to the ground screw on the old box.  Then I'll end up with what's on the wiring diagram of th GFI I bought:  line--grounding screw on box--grounding terminal on outlet.  Cool....it all makes sense now.

--ZERO
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top