Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2003 1:48:25 PM EDT
I love John Wayne movies, but I guess my favorite scene is from the Cowboys, when he is asking Bruce Dern to fight 1 on 1 with him, & Dern says Johns a little to old. He goes into a speech about all the major illnesses, & injuries he has survived, & then says "& on my worst day, I could beat the hell out of you" Then he did! I saw Dern on a talk show saying that movie almost ended his career as an actor, because no one wanted to hire the man that murdered J.W.
Favorite movie: Hard to say, he made so many great movies. I did see he didn't like Clint Eastwoods type of western at all, & told Clint so. I like both of their types of westerns though. The strictly good guy, & the good bad guy.
So what's your favorite JW movie or scene?
Or what's you all time favorite western movie, or actor if not 1 of the afore mentioned legends.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 1:57:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Favorite John Wayne movie?  The Shootist... But all Wayne's movies were great...
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 2:01:05 PM EDT
[#2]
fav john wayne movie? Mclintock (sp?)

fav clint eastwood movie? pretty much every C.E. western ever made.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 2:02:27 PM EDT
[#3]
The Duke rocks.
One of my favorite scenes was when he charged Ned Pepper(Duvall).
FILL YOUR HANDS....
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 2:10:09 PM EDT
[#4]
The Shootist is my favorite.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 2:14:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I love 'em all.

Favorite:  Big Jake.

Favorite scene:  Tells the vigilantes, "If you follow him, I'll hunt you down and kill you.  Every mother's son of you."
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 2:22:17 PM EDT
[#6]
All the Dukes films are good, but McKlintock and The Quiet Man are two of my favorites.
But maybe that's because Maureen O'Hara is in them. [;)]
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 2:24:54 PM EDT
[#7]
C'mon out of there.  I'll make sure you get a fair trial and a fine hangin'.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 2:30:58 PM EDT
[#8]
[url=http://www.geocities.com/Broadway/5977/sounds/pilgrim.wav]McClintock[/url]

(click above to hear my favorite line from the movie)
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 2:35:37 PM EDT
[#9]
After having never seen it till about a year ago I'd have to say The Searchers. Good story and he had some great lines in it. The "life's hard and it harder if your stupid" line (which is someones sig line hers) is great. There was also a line along the lines of "Lee surrendered his sword, I didn't" or words to that effect.

Sands of Iwo Jima comes a close second. Loved Stryker but I believe he has been eclipsed by Sgt Hartman in my book.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 2:44:46 PM EDT
[#10]
My favorite is the Shootist. Kind of a tribute to his career.

My favorite line is from Big Jake, when the bad guy sees there is no money in the trunk and John Wayne sticks the shotgun in his face and says "You die first. Really doesn't matter what happens after that, does it?"
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 3:01:48 PM EDT
[#11]
"I never felt better" BANG!  But seriously, I liked it when he told Bruce Dern he wouldn't hire him because he hates a liar.  
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 3:16:36 PM EDT
[#12]
The Shootist and The Quiet Man are both excellent.  I would also add my personal favorite, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 3:25:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The Duke rocks.
One of my favorite scenes was when he charged Ned Pepper(Duvall).
FILL YOUR HANDS....
View Quote

That would be mine of the Dukes'.
Fave Eastwood...the bar scene at the end of "Unforgiven"
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 3:26:00 PM EDT
[#14]
[b]What's you favorite John Wayne movie...[/b]

1.The Searchers
2.Red River
3.The Shootist
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 3:26:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Favorite John Wayne Movie: El Dorado
It was kinda' cheesy, but I like his character in that one. Angie Dickenson wasn't too bad in it either[naughty].

Favorite Clint Eastwood Movie: The Outlaw Josey Wales with Pale Rider coming in a close second.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 4:21:27 PM EDT
[#16]
My favorite John Wayne movies:

<<--- Sands of Iwo Jima
Hondo
The Quiet Man

ED
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 4:33:10 PM EDT
[#17]
"Donovan's Reef"

"The Shootist" is a close second.

Jay
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 4:43:13 PM EDT
[#18]
1."She Wore A Yellow Ribbon"
2."The Searchers"
3."The Quiet Man"
Mike
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 5:04:18 PM EDT
[#19]
       John Wayne
1) The Cowboys
2) Angel & the Bad Man
3) True Grit/ Rooster Cogburn

Clint Eastwood
1) The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly
2) High Plains Drifter
3) Hangem High

I do like all of them but, These are my top favorites. It would be cool to see a montage of all the movies they have made highlighting some of the greatest scenes from each movie.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 5:26:46 PM EDT
[#20]
One of my favorite scenes is in "The Fighting Seabees" where they run over the Jap position with bulldozers.

It's really hard to pick a favorite movie....so many good ones.

Chisum
Big Jake
The Searchers

so many more
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 5:53:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Favorite John Wayne movie would have to be "BIG JAKE" favorite scene of that flick would be when Richard Boone sees that there is nothing but paper clippings in the trunk and the Duke levels his sawed off double barrel and tells him, "Now you understand, anything happens, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobody's fault, it don't matter, I'm gonna blow your head off!  It's just as simple as that!  No matter what else happens no matter who else gets killed I'm gonna blow your head off!"  

Favorite C. E. movie and scene would have to be "Unforgiven".  When he is in the bar and he shoots the bar owner, and Gene Hackman says, "Well sir you are a cowardly son of a bitch!  You just shot and unarmed man!"  And C.E. says, "Well he should have armed himself if he is gonna decorate his saloon with my friend!"
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 6:25:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Big Jake

Richard Boone: "Who are you."
John Wayne: "Jacob McCandles"
R.B.: "I thought you was dead."
J.W.  "Not hardly."
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 6:29:52 PM EDT
[#23]
1 The Searchers
2 Fort Apache
3 The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence

(I can't believe nobody else listed Fort Apache)
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 6:37:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Pockets, thats the wrong kind of goat.

Indian fighting is good training for our kind of discussions.

Link Posted: 6/28/2003 8:05:10 PM EDT
[#25]
True Grit.

Not so much because I think it was one of his best movies, but it was one of the movies my Dad and I would watch when I was a kid.  

"I wouldn't make a habbit of saying that too often, and once more'd be too often"
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 8:12:08 PM EDT
[#26]
My Favorite John Wayne Movie is Three Godfathers
(scene where John Wayne is delirously walking through a desert sandstorm with the baby and Biblical Scripture is read over the film)

Other Great Wayne Movies are:
Donovan's Reef (Christmas scene in the Church..everyone has umbrellas open because of the leaky roof..scene is on the 3 kings visiting baby Jesus..Lee Marvin is introduced as the King of America...)

The Shootist (Shoot out scene in the Bar)
The Man who Shot Liberty Valence
The Quiet Man (Fight Scene)
Fort Apache (scene where Duke is talking to his dead wife's tombstone)
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 8:22:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Big Jake. I love the dialog from that movie.

Clint Eastwood - The Outlaw Josie Wales.

Link Posted: 6/28/2003 9:49:25 PM EDT
[#28]
The Duke was pretty close to religion in my parents house while I was growing up.Chisum was the first movie I ever saw in a theater. The Quiet man is my all time favorite movie of all time. Favorite Western with the Duke would be Rio Bravo, but I think the Searchers is probably the best performance he ever gave.

As to Clint Eastwood either The Good, Bad, and the Ugly or For a few Dollars More.
S/F
Flyingrhino
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 11:23:52 PM EDT
[#29]
the [green][size=5]GREEN BERETS![/green][/size=5]

I like the scene when [blue][size=3]John Wayne[/blue][/size=3] breaks the toy M16 against the tree.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 12:18:39 AM EDT
[#30]
I've yet to see a John Wayne movie that I didn't like. My favorite movie is The Shootist, my favorite line is, which was my previous sig line:

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."

The only hope you have is to accept the fact that you are already dead. And the sooner you accept that, the sooner you will be able to function as a soldier is supposed to function, without mercy, without compassion, without remorse.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 4:08:33 AM EDT
[#31]
I'd have to say "The Searchers."  Ethan Edward had a lot going on beneath the surface.  He was hard as granite on the outside, and it served to keep the painful part well protected.  Next time you see the movie watch his eyes carefully.  They communicate more than the dialogue does in a lot of scenes.

BTW, I read a biography of the Duke and it said he was originally offered the part of Harry Callahan in "Dirty Harry" and passed on it.  After he saw the film's success he realized what a mistake he'd made.  Imagine John Wayne's voice delivering the classic, "Well, you gotta ask yourself- Do I feel lucky today?"
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 4:26:20 AM EDT
[#32]
How long have you Texans been mounting sheep?[:D]
gotta love the duke.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 9:26:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
My Favorite John Wayne Movie is Three Godfathers
quote]

Dang, forgot about that one. It's one of mine too.

"Quit talken Mexican around the kid".[argue]

And when they lube up the baby with the axle greese.[LOL]

ED
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top