Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2003 11:34:07 AM EDT
The Lawful Commerce In Arms Act?

I know the Dems (Feinstein, Lautenberg, ect) are trying to add anti-gun amendments (mandatory trigger locks, gun show checks, ect).

So can the Repubs ram it through without amendments like the House did?

Or if they can't can we add pro-gun amendments?

CRC
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 11:38:01 AM EDT
[#1]
My vote would be to ram it through without amendments.  If it gets any amendments, can a bill be used to override an Executive Order... such as the '89 import ban?
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 11:43:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't think it can override EOs but it can override the 86 machine gun ban or amend the AWB or change the NFA or something.

About an amendment changing the def of short barrelled rifles to 14.5" ?

A step at a time, guys.

CRC
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 12:03:00 PM EDT
[#3]
well, look at it this way... This bill will save gun companies ALOT of money. If they are smart(the companies that would otherwise lose that money to lawsuits), they'd donate some of it for pushing legislation through to protect our gun-rights.

I know any manufacturer of ammunition would push/donate to repeal the 86 ban if they could [;)]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 7:56:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My vote would be to ram it through without amendments.  If it gets any amendments, can a bill be used to override an Executive Order... such as the '89 import ban?
View Quote

How many times do I have to repeat this ??? The 1989 Import Ban was NOT an Executive Order. The ATF reinterpreted an existing law. I don't know where the myth that Bush signed an EO in '89 came from. But, it isn't true.

The ATF reinterpretation can be overturned. Simply repeal the law they reinterpreted. In fact, there is just such a repeal in Ron Paul's Second Amendment Restoration Act...which I am proud to say, my Congresscritter co-sponsered.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:06:15 AM EDT
[#5]
never happen
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 9:54:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Repeal of the Hughes Admendment.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 11:44:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Senate amendments can be made from the floor and require a simple majority vote. Since 53 Senators have already co-sponsored the bill as-is, Feinstein would have to get four of them to recant their support in order to attach an amendment of any kind.

Even if she was able to attach amendments, we would get a second chance to strip them out in the House/Senate conference committee.

Likewise, it can be amended with pro-gun amendments but only so long as those amendments don't cause Senators to bail on the bill or increase the chance of filibuster that Schumer has already threatened.

The safe bet now is to pass it without amendments. Rather than push our luck; better to make the bill a done deal so it can't be used as leverage when the AWB comes up for renewal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top